Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #31
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Now someones going get an idea of gutting a snow mobile and converting it to a sidecar.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
M37cdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Glad to help
M37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 PM   #33
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
Now someones going get an idea of gutting a snow mobile and converting it to a sidecar.
Done been done :-)

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:22 PM   #34
M37cdn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thumb

That roman chariot looking green sidecar, rig.. you should call it the I Claudius
M37cdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #35
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by M37cdn View Post
That roman chariot looking green sidecar, rig.. you should call it the I Claudius
We didn't build any of those outfits. Someone said Bob Darden did the chariot one but I never got around to asking him.:-)

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #36
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I could certainly use that commode seat. Plumb it into the exhaust system.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #37
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
I could certainly use that commode seat. Plumb it into the exhaust system.
Note to self, never, ever ride behind YOUNZ!
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #38
Sidecarjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Unless of course you opted for the inlet, so creating a BioHybrid ?

http://www.sidecarjohn.co.uk/
Sidecarjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:12 AM   #39
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidecarjohn View Post
Unless of course you opted for the inlet, so creating a BioHybrid ?
In the real world I work for Utilities, making dirty water clean. We have used bio-gas to power a diesel motor, and also in our boilers. It's somewhat dirty, pun intended, and usually requires a mixture of natural gas for better efficiency (low btu's) and cleaner operation..
But I'm still not riding behind YOUNZ.........
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #40
Mister P
Street Bob - hacked!

Oddometer: 12
Here another HD based roman chariot build in the Netherlands:

http://www.lbszijspantechniek.nl/specials/strijdkar/

Grtz from Belgium!
Mister P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #41
Dickie OP
Seasoned Sidecarist

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmws View Post
In the real world I work for Utilities, making dirty water clean. We have used bio-gas to power a diesel motor, and also in our boilers. It's somewhat dirty, pun intended, and usually requires a mixture of natural gas for better efficiency (low btu's) and cleaner operation..
But I'm still not riding behind YOUNZ.........
Hey Bobmws, nice to see another waste water sidecarist on here. Me too work with the dirty stuff.
Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #42
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,616
So Many Opinions So little Time

The Europeans generally have cooler stuff than we do and lots of small shops doing interesting work,I'm on a Ducati Elefant list with more Euros and they get lots of trick stuff done easily, here not so much.My trip to Claude's seemed interesting they seem to have lots of small venders doing things tool makers, powder coat ,ceramic coating etc. I live in the Mayo Clinics Company town and none of that is available in town easily.

On another note how do you define Poseur ? I'm advrider fleamarket has tons of Farkled bikes at good prices ! This is the Hack list where if you have a big CSM or DMC BMW based rig you've tossed allot of money at it and when am I going to learn the secret handshake ? rhetorical it doesn't require an answer.

I was at the Auburn,Cord,Dusenburg festival once almost all the Dusies (there where only 14) where driven by the owners 2nd or 3rd wife as the owners mostly men in their 80's where apparently old affluent poseurs !
Old 12-04-2012, 02:51 AM   #43
SBW Motorrad
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dear All

Thank you for your feed back on the design of the SBW Sidecar. Reading some of your comments I thought that I might be able to help answer some of the queries that have been raised.

Firstly SBW Motorrad are a BMW Motorrad main dealer based in the UK and the business has been in existence for around 30 years. We don't sell or maintain anything other than BMW motorcycles and we the team here are all devoted to offer the best service that we can to our customers. I am very proud to be able to say that we were in receipt of an award from BMW AG in 2011 for 'Outstanding achievements and success for BMW Motorrad'. I am proud because in the UK we were placed second to BMW themselves, and I only employ 10 people. So we are a small team committed to looking after our customers.

The thing that we are perhaps best known for, is that we have been building bikes for Kevin and Julia Sanders together with many of their customer bikes for the last few years. So we have some experience of building GS bikes that have travelled the Pan Americas as well as Africa and the Silk Road.

I was approached a year ago by a husband and wife team who asked me to design and build a Sidecar for them that would work with an R1200GS Adventure. Primarily because having had a sidecar previously they had researched the market and couldn't find exactly what they were looking for in the way of a product that would answer their needs. Their plan was to sell their house and travel around the world for as long as the money lasts.

As an engineering challenge I agreed to the project but as it was a subject I initially knew little about I consulted with the most experienced sidecar manufacturers in the UK, Watsonian Squire, to check my designs and geometry. They have participated in the development of the enterprise an since become subcontractors for the space frame structure.

The brief from our customer was that the sidecar should provide a robust but comfortable well protected seat that was capable of travelling on unmade roads. This is an interesting challenge because the BMW GS achieves this with lots of suspension articulation and this in itself seems at odds with the fairly firm set up of most sidecar outfits. To achieve plenty of suspension travel the suspension design places the coil over unit away from the hub in order to free up the space around the control arms. In addition it also meant that I could quickly change the actual unit without interfering with the rest of the suspension.

The design of the hub rehouses as many BMW components as I could so that should a problem occur when the rig is in use that spare parts could be easily identified, sourced and replaced. Harris Performance participated in the development of the suspension, cutting the billet for the hub and bell crank in house.

Overhang and lead have been discussed. It is true that when unladen the unit places the passenger forward of the sidecar wheel, however the outfit is designed to used with the luggage box full with the possibility of carrying soft luggage on top as well as carrying a spare front and rear wheel and tyres slung under the rear box. This evens up the weight distribution. The wheel is set 20% forward of the rear wheel on the bike.

Inevitably we could change aspects of the design. But the actual sidecar works very well and I am very pleased to report that its great fun to ride.

Thank you once again for your feed back. I guess it will not be to everyone's taste but it represents a great deal of work from guys who are all committed to the bike industry and also customers who are living the dream of seeing the world.

Kind regards

Stephen Crowder

SBW
Motorrad
Hertford
33 Chambers Street
Hertford
Hertfordshire
SG14 1PL
www.sbwmotorrad-bmw.com
Tel: 01992 583135
Fax: 01992 554472
SBW Motorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 AM   #44
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Fixed.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBW Motorrad View Post
Dear All

Thank you for your feed back on the design of the SBW Sidecar. Reading some of your comments I thought that I might be able to help answer some of the queries that have been raised.

Firstly SBW Motorrad are a BMW Motorrad main dealer based in the UK and the business has been in existence for around 30 years. We don't sell or maintain anything other than BMW motorcycles and we the team here are all devoted to offer the best service that we can to our customers. I am very proud to be able to say that we were in receipt of an award from BMW AG in 2011 for 'Outstanding achievements and success for BMW Motorrad'. I am proud because in the UK we were placed second to BMW themselves, and I only employ 10 people. So we are a small team committed to looking after our customers.

The thing that we are perhaps best known for, is that we have been building bikes for Kevin and Julia Sanders together with many of their customer bikes for the last few years. So we have some experience of building GS bikes that have travelled the Pan Americas as well as Africa and the Silk Road.

I was approached a year ago by a husband and wife team who asked me to design and build a Sidecar for them that would work with an R1200GS Adventure. Primarily because having had a sidecar previously they had researched the market and couldn't find exactly what they were looking for in the way of a product that would answer their needs. Their plan was to sell their house and travel around the world for as long as the money lasts.

As an engineering challenge I agreed to the project but as it was a subject I initially knew little about I consulted with the most experienced sidecar manufacturers in the UK, Watsonian Squire, to check my designs and geometry. They have participated in the development of the enterprise an since become subcontractors for the space frame structure.

The brief from our customer was that the sidecar should provide a robust but comfortable well protected seat that was capable of travelling on unmade roads. This is an interesting challenge because the BMW GS achieves this with lots of suspension articulation and this in itself seems at odds with the fairly firm set up of most sidecar outfits. To achieve plenty of suspension travel the suspension design places the coil over unit away from the hub in order to free up the space around the control arms. In addition it also meant that I could quickly change the actual unit without interfering with the rest of the suspension.

The design of the hub rehouses as many BMW components as I could so that should a problem occur when the rig is in use that spare parts could be easily identified, sourced and replaced. Harris Performance participated in the development of the suspension, cutting the billet for the hub and bell crank in house.

Overhang and lead have been discussed. It is true that when unladen the unit places the passenger forward of the sidecar wheel, however the outfit is designed to used with the luggage box full with the possibility of carrying soft luggage on top as well as carrying a spare front and rear wheel and tyres slung under the rear box. This evens up the weight distribution. The wheel is set 20% forward of the rear wheel on the bike.

Inevitably we could change aspects of the design. But the actual sidecar works very well and I am very pleased to report that its great fun to ride.

Thank you once again for your feed back. I guess it will not be to everyone's taste but it represents a great deal of work from guys who are all committed to the bike industry and also customers who are living the dream of seeing the world.

Kind regards

Stephen Crowder

SBW
Motorrad
Hertford
33 Chambers Street
Hertford
Hertfordshire
SG14 1PL
www.sbwmotorrad-bmw.com
Tel: 01992 583135
Fax: 01992 554472