Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 08:01 AM   #1
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,468
Aprilia V4 Tuono.

Bloody Hell.

What a machine.

I was expecting an angry little fucker that wanted to do you a mischief if you looked at it wrong. Loud and manic with a diamond chassis. Lacking any civilised virtues.

Well - i was fairly surprised to find it reasonably sane. Not S1000R levels of usability - fuelling on the BM is still the best i've come across for a long time - but not too bad all in all.

Ergos are nearly spot on. Bars were a bit too straight for my liking and the seat was made from teak, but those are just personal tailoring issues. The seat is fairly tall so leg drop was great. My VFR 12 felt quite cramped afterwards.

Overall quality looked nice. Clutch was light and the QS worked like a charm.

The key though was the engine. I'm a V4 fiend so this was just splendid. Fast and safe overtaking was met with a raw and urgent soundtrack. Gawd knows how they got that bike through noise checks.

I dont think it's as day to day useable as the BM Sthou - but it is a truly epic machine.

Awesome.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
I picked up the 2014 APRC version in white a few months ago. What a machine! I swapped out the seat for the sport gel version from Aprilia but don't see any real improvement. But truth be told, the stock seat was plenty comforatble for all day riding. I considered the akra pipe and race map combo, but after riding this bike for a while I can tell it's trouble enough as is. A fantastic bike that I look forward to starting every morning!

TexanInSeattle screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 11:50 AM
TexanInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nice one. Bit too much for me - but a hell of a machine.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Tupperwolf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
I want one badly, but the regular reports of 85-90 miles before the gas light comes on is the deal breaker. I mean, that's just ridiculous. I am still tempted to get one, but there are some stretches of road around hered that just can't be covered without carrying an extra gas bottle.
Tupperwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #5
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I test rode one before I got my Guzzi,

The Tuono is a beast! that's for sure, It was comfortable to (at least for me)

The deal breaker again like the poster above me said was the 90 Mile tank rage, I do that in a Day if I'm working down at the Ship Channel.

The Tuono runs circles around my current bike (In the performance department) But when it comes to range.. that's what mattered to me (As well as MILD performance )
Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #6
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

I have about 3k miles on the TuonoV4 now and only see 24mpg on in town commutes with a heavy wrist and plently of plus 100 runs and hard take offs...After break in I see about 38mpg when not riding stop and go. These figures are according to the onboard computer though, not independently confirmed.

TexanInSeattle screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 12:01 PM
Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
flienlow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
I want one badly, but the regular reports of 85-90 miles before the gas light comes on is the deal breaker. I mean, that's just ridiculous. I am still tempted to get one, but there are some stretches of road around hered that just can't be covered without carrying an extra gas bottle.
The V4 Tuono is the '78 Chev Dually with a big block 454 and 4:5:6 gearing of the Motorcycle world. It's fuel economy is all but laughable. It's as hot as an Italian girlfriend and just as troublesome. It truly is a wicked mistress. If you are looking for sensibility or Honda reliability- RUN!
However, if you're the sort that likes to be throat punched and fucked at the same time. It's the bike for you. you will need to love on it and fix it. And also wait for parts. Its the garage Car of motorcycles. Something you keep a sheet over and take out on nice days.

One of the most exciting motorcycles I have ever owned until it was Stolen (another issue with them.

And Damn the V4 Sound!

flienlow screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 08:13 AM
flienlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
atypical1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupperwolf View Post
Nothing wrong with carrying extra fuel

I get 110 miles or so to my tank. I've had to push once but the bike isn't that heavy so it all worked out.

And I disagree on it being a garage queen. It will handle anything thrown at it, except for cheap fuel.

atypical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
TexanInSeattle
Gnarly Adventurer

Here's mine with MRA touring screen and Evotech tail tidy

TexanInSeattle screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 07:46 PM
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow View Post
The V4 Tuono is the '78 Chev Dually with a big block 454 and 4:5:6 gearing of Motorcycle world. It's fuel economy is all but laughable. It's as hot as an Italian girlfriend and just as troublesome. It truly is a wicked mistress. If you are looking for sensibility or Honda reliability- RUN!
However, if you're the sort that likes to be throat punched and fucked at the same time. It's the bike for you. you will need to love on it and fix it. And also wait for parts. Its the garage Car of motorcycles. Something you keep a sheet over and take out on nice days.

One of the most exciting motorcycles I have ever owned until it was Stolen (another issue with them.

And Damn the V4 Sound!

You win at making me want one of these things even more than I did before. I LOVE ridiculous amounts of trouble. You only live once....
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #11
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Does the touring screen make much of a difference?
Old 07-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #12
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,171
I happened to be at the local Aprilia dealer yesterday and was admiring a Tuono in white. Niiiiice.... It's a demo and the sales dude was encouraging me to take it out for an hour. Might have to do that this weekend.

Just curious, are there any luggage/tail bag options for it that make long weekend trips do-able? I saw the Ventura setup, but it looks way out of place on the bike.

Garry screwed with this post 07-29-2014 at 05:59 AM
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:47 AM   #13
Paulvt1 OP
Beastly Adventurer

The instant MPG readout was saying 36 ish to the gallon (IMP). Not bad considering the performance..
Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #14
atypical1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry View Post
I happened to be at the local Aprilia dealer yesterday and was admiring a Tuono in white. Niiiiice.... It's a demo and the sales dude was encouraging me to take it out for an hour. Might have to do that this weekend.

Just curious, are there any luggage/tail bag options for it that make long weekend trips do-able? I saw the Ventura setup, but it looks way out of place on the bike.
You can get a small tailbag. I use a backpack for weekend rides but I tend to pack really light. There are a few options. If you take a look over on the AF1 forum there is a great thread that shows what some people have done.

james
atypical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #15
cccolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 587
it makes zero sense for me for any reason other than hooning, but I want one so bad. It's been my number one bike lust bike since it came out. I will own one some day...when I have the money to own three bikes, one of which is a 90 mile range Italian troublemaker.
cccolin is offline   Reply With Quote