User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #1
gknepper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Adventures in road bike shopping

Long story short, started riding 3 years ago at age 45. 1st bike purchased was a Yamaha Tmax maxi scooter. Now looking get a bigger bike for longer distances and more two up riding. Torn between sport touring (FJR, Concours) and traditional cruiser touring. s Go to local multi dealer shop and 1st sales guy shows me a nice 07 FJR, a new old stock ST1300, and several Connies. He gets a phone call and another guy takes over. New guy tells me the best deal on the whole sales floor for me is a new Hayabusa. Go to second shop tell the guy the same thing he shows me a CTX 700 (I asked if they had the 1300, he said he never heard of it) Then he takes me by the used bikes and tries to talk me into a used ER6N. I don't know if there is a point to all this but it seems kind of silly that my saying I'm interested in two up sport touring/touring style bikes leads to one of the fasted production motorcycles ever made at one place and a naked standard at another. Is this the kind of silliness you guys have run into while shopping?
gknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #2
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,613
Just tell them you want to look around, and if you find something you like, you'll let them know.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #3
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
See if you can find a way, to ride a st1300.
You can find a nice one for 5k-7k.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM   #4
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 712
Salesmen in too many shops don't help a bit with poor tactics and/or little product knowledge. Any of those bikes mentioned will be an outstanding contender so I would find one that fits you best and then also with your wife as that can make the difference of money well spent on shared adventure or a miserable experience that cost more than wasted $ in the lost opportunity. I would try these Sport Tourers as well as Harley, Victory Tourers (and ujm clones), and don't dismiss the BMW R1200GS type platform either. They all offer unique benefits over each other and all will easily carry two up and plenty of luggage in comfort. Plenty of high mile riders of each brand and type on this site to help come up with a good short list and then take momma visiting shops.

Good luck!
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM   #5
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 148
Sometimes it's more important to dealer shop. Find somebody that is willing to talk with you and sell you what you are looking for. I find that if you are looking for a sport-touring machine, go to a dealer that supports that type of riding and has salesman that are into the same. Don't go to a shop that sells 1 sport touring motorcycle a year and expect them to be extremely helpful.

BTW-used bikes are the biggest profit margin for a salesman. Also, some models have MFG incentives ($) offered to the salesman. Could be why he steered you to the 'busa.

I have had many miles on both the FJR and ST, and you can't go wrong with either one.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM   #6
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Salespeople are there to sell you what they have. The bike they have is the best bike for you if I was there manager this is what I would expect. That is their job. .

Just say thank you and say not for me. Maybe ask them if they have the bike that you are looking for at their sister store.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #7
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,359
IF I'm reading this right, you haven't ridden any actual motorcycles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gknepper View Post
Long story short, started riding 3 years ago at age 45. 1st bike purchased was a Yamaha Tmax maxi scooter. Now looking get a bigger bike for longer distances and more two up riding. Torn between sport touring (FJR, Concours) and traditional cruiser touring.
Yes, your experience is common, to a degree anyway. If you're not absolutely clear about what you're asking of a specific dealer, he'll show you what he thinks you might buy. One guy might have been thinking the step up you were looking for was speed and power, and the other might well have been thinking "still a beginner" that wants to enter the world of real motorcycles without getting carried away. They weren't selling bikes, but rather their perception of you.

So my advice, mr almost new rider(No offense intended), is to shop specific dealers for specific bike styles.

I'm not saying "it's you". Not entirely anyway, but a salesman gets an idea in his head in the first couple of seconds and often doesn't let reality interfere with that perception.
I was dropping my '07 GS off for a fuel sensor replacement and wandered over JUST to look at the new Indian Chieftain. When the salesman followed me into the showroom to sell me the bike I mentioned my GS, and that I wasn't really interested in owning a cruiser...just admiring a beautiful bike, and that I was considering something sportier than my GS. I walked over to the Ducati Streetfighter my wife and I had both been admiring on the way in. The dood said "You're interested in Ducati performance? Come in here and look at this!" and took me to see the goddam Diavel Not just a cruiser, but the ugliest cruiser of all time, and after I told him I like sportbikes. The old bastard liked cruisers and that's what he was trying to sell.

If the sales person won't show you what you're asking for, ask to talk to somebody else!

But first things first! Go ride a bike with a real transmission!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,016
If you are looking for used, forget the dealer and all their sales tax and bogus fees, and buy what you want from a private seller. If you want new, figure out what you want, then find the dealer that will give you the best deal on it. Remember to add $300+ to the cost of any new Honda due to their "destination" charge.

Just noticed you are in Oregon. No sales tax there.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #9
gknepper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
IF I'm reading this right, you haven't ridden any actual motorcycles?

But first things first! Go ride a bike with a real transmission!
You mean there might be a problem with me going from a Tmax to Hyabusa?

Part of the long story short, I do know how to shift.
The ultimate goal is touring motorcycle, I just need to figure out how many bikes it will take to get there.
gknepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM   #10
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by gknepper View Post

Part of the long story short, I do know how to shift.
The ultimate goal is touring motorcycle, I just need to figure out how many bikes it will take to get there.
Not that many. You're a real adult, or sound like one and old enough. I know of somebody who bought a Harley Road King as their first bike.
If you've been riding for 3 years and know what you want, then get it. The hard part is knowing what you want with limited experience. Get test rides on as many bikes as you can, and take notes. Don't be in too big of a hurry. They'll keep making them.

I've heard it asked before; "What do you want to see when you open the garage door?"
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:08 AM   #11
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,439
You've just forgotten the old phrase "buyer beware."

A lot of people tour on 'busas. A lot of people tour on Kwaker twins. Read the travel threads here.

Vertical C is right. They're just doing their job. Or trying to, anyway.
Old Today, 06:33 AM   #12
jon_l
Southern Ontario

Oddometer: 2,643
Given the variety of answers you would get from inmates on ADV about the best bike for your particular mission, I am not surprised salespeople would similarly offer a wide range of suggestions.

I would figure out which model or models you want before you go into the dealer, then go find one with the bike of interest in stock. Frankly, the right bike is sort of like finding a wife/husband - you got to try a bunch before you figure out what you want and what works for you. Unlike a wife/husband, bikes are easy to trade, so you get to spend your whole riding life playing the field. Buy what grabs you, and keep it until something else catches your fancy.

I disagree with Jerry's assertion that dealers are stealers and to be avoided, based on my own experience. There are some good dealers, and there is one in my area that consistently sells used bikes cheaper than similar ones on Craigslist or Kijiji, and with a 90 day warranty. Dealers allow you to sit on and sometimes ride multiple bikes in a day, which is much better than running around to visit unknown private sellers with a pocket full of cash, to see a bike that may or may not be as advertised.

I have also bought and sold here on ADV, and that would be my #1 source, followed by a good dealer, and a distant last would be Craigslist and Kijiji.
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #13
quickstop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Why would anyone pay any attention to what any dealer said?
quickstop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:44 AM   #14
Chisenhallw
Kilted Terror

Oddometer: 3,665
I think a nice used ST1100 or a used C10 would be excellent, manageable, reliable, reasonably priced choices. Were I in your shoes, I might avoid the Hayabusa for a few years until you can handle that amount of power. I'm not casting aspersions on your riding skill, I'm just saying a Hayabusa is a lot of bike. Best of luck with your purchases, and please do post pics of your decision.
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:57 AM   #15
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
One thing I have found is that dealers are more likely to give you rides of bikes they suggest to you. I think because they want to really sell that bike and they will give anyone a ride that is remotely interested. . Sometimes it's a good opportunity to ride a bike even if you aren't that interested. It might not suit your needs this time but it's good to know how bikes ride for your next choice. When you come back you can always say no I want something more touring.....

Dealers are useful, don't take offence at the bullshit just see them as another tool to getting knowledge.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote