Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #1696
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I still need to get a tank bag. I have been obsessing over them on line and can't seem to come up with the solution that fits my needs and works on the bike.
I just picked up the Givi XS307 15 liter tank lock bag and it fits pretty well. The bag itself is pretty good, only a few minor oddities: The safety strap on the front had to go; Inside the main area it has a water-resistant inner drawstring liner. The zippered side pouches are also kind of small. But it fits really well, easy on and off for refueling. What is really odd to me are the accessories it came with: a neon green waterproof cover, and a separate map holder that clips over the top of the built in map window...
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 PM   #1697
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
I just picked up the Givi XS307 15 liter tank lock bag and it fits pretty well. The bag itself is pretty good, only a few minor oddities: The safety strap on the front had to go; Inside the main area it has a water-resistant inner drawstring liner. The zippered side pouches are also kind of small. But it fits really well, easy on and off for refueling. What is really odd to me are the accessories it came with: a neon green waterproof cover, and a separate map holder that clips over the top of the built in map window...
I was looking at that model but it looked to big. Do you have a pic of it on the bike? I also have the factory Nav IV & mount on the handlebar clamps so it can't be too tall or it will block the GPS which is why I returned the BMW I had bought.

Thanks,

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:20 PM   #1698
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I was looking at that model but it looked to big. Do you have a pic of it on the bike? I also have the factory Nav IV & mount on the handlebar clamps so it can't be too tall or it will block the GPS which is why I returned the BMW I had bought.

Thanks,

Rick G
Sure:

Side view, the bag in the default middle position. It can be moved about 2" forward or back from here. I can lean on it a little when riding if I get tired in this position.

And this is the angle I see when driving. The TomTom Rider is completely visible, and doesn't block any of the instrumentation. I don't know how the TomTom sits in relation to your Nav IV.

AlecMyrddyn screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 07:25 PM
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #1699
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,518

I like a low tank bag with a full-size map window. For that reason, I chose the RKA three-point strap-on flat (not wedge) tank bag that's three inches deep. I looked at the RKA website and the model designations have changed. The vendor takes a bit of getting used to, but his product is IMHO a good fit for the R tank.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 07:31 PM Reason: added photo
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 PM   #1700
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge Builder View Post
Check out Twisted Throttle for the SW Motech Engage. I have tried many different ones, magnetic and straps. The Engage with the quick attach tank ring is by far my favorite. I went with the electrical connection that has two power outlets inside and the map pocket. I was able to get the XL which is no longer available. It looks good and matches the slope of tank perfectly.
Gee thanks! You recommend me a tank bag I can't buy. Want to sell me yours?

Rick G
Old 04-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #1701
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by torags View Post
Hehe.. It was a good ride... First time I had a leg over in 5 years
Keep up the good work! I can tell by the smile on your face that the trip agreed with your.

Paul
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #1702
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Alec,

Thanks for the pics! Not bad.

Can you still move the bag forward those 2 inches and still not block the GPS?

And could you tell me how big the map pocket is? I like to fit a double fold, but most map pockets are too small.

Rick G
Old 04-15-2014, 07:50 PM   #1703
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I like a low tank bag with a full-size map window. For that reason, I chose the RKA three-point strap-on flat (not wedge) tank bag that's three inches deep. I looked at the RKA website and the model designations have changed. The vendor takes a bit of getting used to, but his product is IMHO a good fit for the R tank.

Fred
I had an RKA on my GS and liked it. Rain cover sucked and so did the owner of the company when I tried talking to him about it at a rally.

Rick G
Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #1704
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Gee thanks!
Rick, you may have seen my pics of the current 'engage' - had it awhile now. Doesn't quite follow the slope of the tank perfectly, but it is unobtrusive and holds a fair bit of stuff. The map pocket holds 2+ pages showing of a standard roadmap and with my Cee screen (or the old flyscreen) doesn't get affected by the wind. Also doesn't impede view of my Montana GPS. These are the only pics I can find in my photobucket:

I don't have the wired ring ... just the regular. Din't always ride with a bag and didn't want the cord.

G
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #1705
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
And ... Raincover

And the raincover works very well - even at highway speeds. It is big enough to cover it even with the map pocket attached ... and without it - it cinches down perfectly tight. Have never had an issue with it.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #1706
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,452
I used to have a BMW two tier bag that hid my V1

I got a Oxford Motorcycle Tank Bag OF410 BMW R S Touring off Ebay

Reasonable and suits the tank on the 1150
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 AM   #1707
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Can you still move the bag forward those 2 inches and still not block the GPS?

And could you tell me how big the map pocket is? I like to fit a double fold, but most map pockets are too small.
Morning Rick;

The built-in map pocket has a trapezoidal window that's about 9" long, and 7" wide at the back, 6.5" wide at the front. It's probably a little longer than that, but the extra inch or two on the front slopes away and is not see-through material. The add-on map/tablet holder is rectangular and 7.5" wide by 9" long.

As everything is mounted now, the bottom edge of my TomTom Rider sits about 3" back from the back edge of the handlebar clamp. It's mounted on a 2" ram arm clamped to a ball that is over the front right handlebar mount bolt. It only has maybe 1/2" of clearance from the front edge of the bag. So without relocating the TomTom, I couldn't move the bag forward at all. As it is, when I turn the bars hard right in parking lots the TomTom pushes against the Givi. If the TomTom sat directly over the handlebar clamp, the bag could probably be moved forward an inch, maybe two. It would depend on how high the GPS mount was and if it could still be seen over the front edge.

-Alec
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 AM   #1708
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Patch,

How does the map holder attach and when it is being use, can you still open the bag with out removing the map holder? Were you not able to mount the bag just a bit more forward to better match the slope of the tank?

Thanks,

Rick G
Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM   #1709
Bridge Builder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Gee thanks! You recommend me a tank bag I can't buy. Want to sell me yours?

Rick G
They still have the Engage, just not the XL which is one big compartment. The ones they sell, still, have more individual pockets which would be ideal for phone, wallet, sunglasses, etc. Plus a compartment for the raincover which work well and stays on in rain and wind at high speeds.
Bridge Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:18 PM   #1710
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I do my own maintenance I am a mechanic. First you only have to check the valves. They may not need adjusting.

I did mine at 20 thousand miles. I set them and synced idle and TB cables. It runs better than it ever has.
David
This is from several days ago but I have a quick follow-up question after watching JVB's camhead video. Is it necessary to check or set the rocker arm endplay/float/lash/clearance (terminology?) on camheads or was that only necessary for the 09 and older hexhead motors? If I recall, Jim only demonstrated checking the clearance on the valves in the video.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote