Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 06:25 AM   #1711
Bridge Builder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Gee thanks! You recommend me a tank bag I can't buy. Want to sell me yours?

Rick G
They still have the Engage, just not the XL which is one big compartment. The ones they sell, still, have more individual pockets which would be ideal for phone, wallet, sunglasses, etc. Plus a compartment for the raincover which work well and stays on in rain and wind at high speeds.
Bridge Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #1712
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I do my own maintenance I am a mechanic. First you only have to check the valves. They may not need adjusting.

I did mine at 20 thousand miles. I set them and synced idle and TB cables. It runs better than it ever has.
David
This is from several days ago but I have a quick follow-up question after watching JVB's camhead video. Is it necessary to check or set the rocker arm endplay/float/lash/clearance (terminology?) on camheads or was that only necessary for the 09 and older hexhead motors? If I recall, Jim only demonstrated checking the clearance on the valves in the video.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:52 AM   #1713
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
This is from several days ago but I have a quick follow-up question after watching JVB's camhead video. Is it necessary to check or set the rocker arm endplay/float/lash/clearance (terminology?) on camheads or was that only necessary for the 09 and older hexhead motors? If I recall, Jim only demonstrated checking the clearance on the valves in the video.
I don't think end play can be adjusted or needs to on the camhead.

Have fun
David
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM   #1714
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Patch,

How does the map holder attach and when it is being use, can you still open the bag with out removing the map holder? Were you not able to mount the bag just a bit more forward to better match the slope of the tank?

Thanks,

Rick G

I'll take a few photos when I get home tonight, but if you look at the overhead view pic, you may be able to see the fastex 'loops' on the front on each side. The map bag has 2 cords that have cord locks on them. You thread the cord through the loop and then tighten the slack from the cord. The 'bottom' of the map bag has Velcro that attached to the tank bag proper. Keeps it tight and no flapping.
To open the bag you pull the Velcro then unzip the bag. The pocket is still attached at the top so it doesn't fall or move out of place.

As for the mounting options, you get a bit of leeway to beat match several brands of tanks ... But alas it is mounted as far backward (making the bag as far forward) as you can go.

On the plus side, this leaves room for the gps to be completely untouched by the bag and map pocket at full steering lock. Any closer to the tank profile would likely cover that space, possibly obscuring the view of the gauges.
G
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:55 PM   #1715
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I'll take a few photos when I get home tonight, but if you look at the overhead view pic, you may be able to see the fastex 'loops' on the front on each side. The map bag has 2 cords that have cord locks on them. You thread the cord through the loop and then tighten the slack from the cord. The 'bottom' of the map bag has Velcro that attached to the tank bag proper. Keeps it tight and no flapping.
To open the bag you pull the Velcro then unzip the bag. The pocket is still attached at the top so it doesn't fall or move out of place.

As for the mounting options, you get a bit of leeway to beat match several brands of tanks ... But alas it is mounted as far backward (making the bag as far forward) as you can go.

On the plus side, this leaves room for the gps to be completely untouched by the bag and map pocket at full steering lock. Any closer to the tank profile would likely cover that space, possibly obscuring the view of the gauges.
G
Patch,

Thanks! I really appreciate it. It sucks when there are no local dealers who carry this stuff. I don't mind spending the coin, I just hate the hassle of returns when the shit don't work right because you bought it from a picture.

I am starting to lean towards the Engage, but am still looking at that Givi bag shown a couple of posts before yours.

Another question about the Engage. Which year bike is yours? I know the caps have changed and mine is a 2011 so it is the one without the screws. If yours is the same, did the adapter fit easy without issue?

Thanks again,

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #1716
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I don't think end play can be adjusted or needs to on the camhead.

Have fun
David
This is correct.

The followers (rocker arms) fit loosely on the pivot shafts:

Removed follower.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM   #1717
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Thanks Jim and David. Almost seems too easy ;) (knocks on wood)
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #1718
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Rick, Here's another option, Bags Conn City bag

Thanks to Patch he convinced me the BC line was the way to go but I went the next size up and got the City. I mounted mine as far aft as I could to reduce the risk of contact with the tank. It can be mounted a little more forward to mirror the tank a little better. The thing about the mount if you're unaware is that it comes with the ring not mounted to the bag. Once you decide where you want it YOU drill the mounting holes in the bag. It is not provided with "multiple choice" factory supplied holes. I guess you could drill your own without much issue.

Yeah it sucks when you can't get your hands on one locally. I'm kind of lucky in that there's an indy shop close to one of my job sites that will order stuff for me and not charge me shipping to the shop. I try not to abuse that cause it's litterally a mom and pop outfit.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM   #1719
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Patch,

Thanks! Another question about the Engage. Which year bike is yours? I know the caps have changed and mine is a 2011 so it is the one without the screws. If yours is the same, did the adapter fit easy without issue?

Thanks again,

Rick G

You're welcome - my bike is an '11 as well, only one issue with the adapter. The original one didn't allow the gas cap to lock down properly. I shimmed it with a toothpick (under the unit) while I was on the road and got it exchanged for a new one straight away. Twisted was great about the exchange. Odd was that the old one and the new one were both identical to my eye and both sat flush once installed. No issue with the replacement, but for the first handfuls of fillies I needed to turn the key while pressing the cap into place. No problems now. Here is the part

Here's a shot of the bottom - see that there was no more room to move the mounting unit, but as Big Easy said you can play with it a bit before drilling your holes. I'm holding it by the back,

Here's the map attachments through the "D"rings

And the Velcro closure. The small tab works on the Engage and the longer one is to reach the Velcro on bigger ones (like Big Easys City bag)

And the map is one of my largest folded standard maps, Virginia , and it easily fits a double page view.

Hope that helps!
G
Old 04-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #1720
Patch
Studly Adventurer

To access the bag, just undo the Velcro tab an lift, the cord locks hold everything in place.

And the white piping is actually a dark grey, reflecting off my flash makes it look white.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #1721
torags
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,411
Hmmm... So the R1200R has a fork stabilizer..

My 02 1150 doesn't...

Did BMW change the rake and trail?

or did the xtra HP make the front unstable...
'07 HD XR 883R Sportster "Widow Maker"///Gone!
IBA #17225

torags screwed with this post 04-17-2014 at 07:25 AM
torags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #1722
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Tank bag....

Not pretty but it works great:

Cockpit view:

Carries a good amount of stuff and doesn't block my GPS (old-school Magellan Meridian - works much better than the touch-screen GPS I tried several years back.)

I think it was ~$30 at Amazon. Sticks like glue, too, even at triple digit speeds
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #1723
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siper2 View Post
Good observation. The RnineT definitely wouldn't be a good long-distance bike, but I did wonder if people would consider it over the R1200R, as the 1200 isn't a GS/full touring setup. But you're right, the RnineT's setup probably would make it impractical for much beyond local cruising, canyons and hooliganism!
Getting new tires on my R1150R at Adventure BMW, I enjoyed getting to look over the 9T on their showroom floor. Who amongst us has not enjoyed a certain amount of naked hooliganism, either on or off a bike?

The next week, in SF, I saw this parked in the Financial District. Judging by the license plate, this was an early addition to the street scene in the City.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #1724
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,102
BMW R****R Thread

How do you know when springtime is here?

Birds start building their nests! (My bike with a prior spring surprise after I left a cover on it for a week.)

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #1725
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,016
Had a Magna 750, that sat in the garage one summer, unridden. Tried everything I could think of to get it started, no luck. Gave it to a friend if he could make it start, no luck. Took it to a shop and they found that inside the air box intake nozzle, unseen, dirt dobbers had built a mud nest and totally blocked the intake. Felt pretty dumb, but I had never seen dobbers in the garage, so never thought to look inside the intake nozzle. I let the guy keep the bike just for the hassle he had.