Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #1726
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Not pretty but it works great:

I've got something similar. One of many things I appreciate about the R****R is its metal tank; it gives you loads of magnetic tank bag options out there.
GreyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:57 AM   #1727
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyThumper View Post
I've got something similar. One of many things I appreciate about the R****R is its metal tank; it gives you loads of magnetic tank bag options out there.
What is that for a top box, looks good, Givi or?? and how big??

I am looking but want as big of one I can get but not overpower the semi-naked bike look. Maybe a 37 or 45 might be pushing it. The BMW 28 looks small and not roomy enough plus the price is .
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #1728
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post

I am looking but want as big of one I can get but not overpower the semi-naked bike look. Maybe a 37 or 45 might be pushing it. The BMW 28 looks small and not roomy enough plus the price is .
Uh, I'm not the guy with the yellow bike. But just to answer the question, I've got a Givi top box (I think it's 35liters). Better consider what you're likely to put in the top box, since the Givi rack has a weight limit (10 kilos, IIRC), so it might be a waste of money to spend on a bigger top box anyway. Also, it impinges on pillion space (I just tie a gym bag to the rack, if I'm going on a long trip with a pillion).
GreyThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 AM   #1729
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:

No, not a Givi, but a cheap JC Whitney knockoff of a Givi.

I got in 5 years ago for my Triumph Scrambler. Yeah, pretty much destroyed the "classic" looks of the Scram but I didn't care because for the first time in 30 years of riding, I could lock things up. Great for commuting, too - no need to wear a backpack, just throw my pack inside the trunk and lock it up.

Here's the current link although I think the price shown is for the smaller trunk (31 liters), mine is the larger (40 liter) capacity. I paid almost $80 for mine so if that's the price, it's pretty good.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/garage-pro-...rid=c14523u0j1

Quality? Eh, I'd call it good for the price. No, not as nice as a Givi but not $200+ either. I don't ride now as much as I used to (I struggle to break 4,000 miles/year these days) but mine has lasted 5 years including 1 trip to Sturgis and 3 to Taos, plus a whole lot of day trips on my Scrambler. The mounting plate attaches to the BMW rear deck plate (not sure what it's called) and doesn't look terrible, either.

BTW, it will fit my full face helmet, although if I put the helmet in there, there's not room for much else.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #1730
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Any body with the Machine Art Moto mudsling? Are there any clearance issues with the plastic and the rear tire? I just installed mine and it looks like there's about an inch of clearance....maybe less.
Should I just not spaz out?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #1731
sugarcrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I have the mudsling installed. I have about the same amount of clearance but haven't had issues. Just let it go man. It'll be fine. Probably. :)
sugarcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #1732
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Any body with the Machine Art Moto mudsling? Are there any clearance issues with the plastic and the rear tire? I just installed mine and it looks like there's about an inch of clearance....maybe less.
Please do NOT spaz out. The clearance is fine, and you should experience no rubbing. The design incorporated the swing of the swing arm. I have about the same clearance (the shadow and curve of the tire make it appear less) with no rubbing:

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:20 PM   #1733
txplants
Pastafarian

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
No problems with mine. Just installed a new tire and still no contact.
txplants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:25 PM   #1734
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by txplants View Post
No problems with mine. Just installed a new tire and still no contact.
Ditto - I've had mine on for around 8500 miles or so, no issues and I got 8600ish out of the OEM rear tire.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #1735
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
hahaha...well thanks for the responses. I will let it go. I appreciate the feedback.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #1736
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,102
Has anyone found that R1200R seat fitment changed at some model year, preventing a later seat from fitting an earlier bike? I'm looking for a seat pan for my '07 and hoping all seven years are fair game.

Fred
'07 R1200R since new
'09 F800GS ditto
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #1737
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,967
I just put a 2014 comfort seat on my '08, no problemo. Fits right on.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #1738
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,484
Quote:

Also looking for a top case for storage and pillion back rest I like the Givi but hard to tell if the OEM rack will accept the universal Givi mounting hardware. I looked at Shad cases and they look good but not sure about the durability. Givi web site is not very informative. Oh and I use a Neilson Riggs magnetic tank bag. Nice for the money have made a couple of multi-day trips with it and no issues. Any advise on the case is welcome.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #1739
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevishook View Post
Also looking for a top case for storage and pillion back rest I like the Givi but hard to tell if the OEM rack will accept the universal Givi mounting hardware. I looked at Shad cases and they look good but not sure about the durability. Givi web site is not very informative. Oh and I use a Neilson Riggs magnetic tank bag. Nice for the money have made a couple of multi-day trips with it and no issues. Any advise on the case is welcome.
I bought a used E370 Givi top case with generic mounting plate with back pad for my R12R off Ebay, it'll be here next week. My hope is it will easily bolt to the BMW accessory mounting plate. If a generic plate will bolt up securely I think any brand may. I will post some pictures.

I have a Chase Harper generic strap on tank bag I had on a R12RT, I will see if it fits as well. The way I am this bike on short day trips to lunch I do not need it but it may be an option for somebody. I think it might work good as well.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #1740
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Not sure if the generic Givi mount works, but I used the one they sell for the R1200RT and that did.

Can't remember what it's called.. might be the Givi E193.
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote