Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #481
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
...I have an as-new custom built Corbin seat if anyone is interested.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #482
Newportcycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
I'm interested where are we shipping it from? Got some pictures?
Newportcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #483
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

PM'd ya

Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #484
Dalmatino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
PM'd ya

I'm interested...you got a PM
Dalmatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #485
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Thumb

...chill boys, I don't wanna get busted by the mods for posting here.
I've posted in the FM here: Custom Corbin

Old 03-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #486
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Thumb Northern CA Saturday ride..

My friends R12 and my R1150R chilling while their silly riders waste midday sun eating...

sorry it's a huge pic.

We had 119 miles of CA coast and mountains, in perfect weather. If you know the area: we met in San Mateo and the route was 92, 35, Tunitas Creek, highway 1, stage rd., Bean Hollow, more 1, Lunch in Davenport, Bonny Doon, Felton Empire Rd., and 9 back to 35... 119 miles of Road therapy that was much needed..
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #487
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Love to stop at that bakery myself!

Great ride! I like to include Big Bend park in that loop.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #488
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
Love to stop at that bakery myself!

Great ride! I like to include Big Bend park in that loop.
Yeah we do sometimes.. I had late afternoon plans back in the east bay, so we made it a short day.
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #489
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Like anything else, it doesn't bother some people. Plenty of people tour with no windscreen, and there are R owners that don't mind the tank updraft. Not me!

I went with a Scout fairing. The lower fairing blocks the tank tunnels and it's a nice quiet cocoon around the head and torso, with plenty of wind on arms and legs.

I did WAY too much windscreen experimenting (tried three different products in multiple configurations). Final verdict: Either no screen at all, or the Scout. Everything in between was awful.
Gotta throw this question out to you all even though I have not read to the end of all the R****R threads (so it might have been answered).

I have a Ducati ST3s at present (side bags, ABS, 105hp, beautiful), but am considering a change. I've had a 2006 GS, 2007 RT, 2009 ST, and now the Duc - many miles on all (60,000). However, I am taking another long trip this summer with my daughter and after two trips with pillions (7,000 and 6,000) on the Duc I think the R****R bikes would be better two up.

I'm contemplating getting my old 2007 RT back from my brother (perfect condition with 42,000 miles), but remember some of the things I didn't like about it and some that I do. So as not to bash the RT I'll focus on what I do like and ask your opinion on the comparison.

Mainly two things I have a question about. 1. I love cruise control and wonder if anyone has put that on the R? I have used throttle locks and they are okay, but not as safe or convenient as true CC. 2. Is the pillion area the same as the RT? That is, it looks more cramped in pictures, but I would think that the R is the same wheelbase, same frame, etc. - just a lot less (none!) tupperware.

Also - to DiabloADV, or anyone else with an opinion on this. I would need panniers, but I know not all used bikes come with them. I see the soft bags on yours and they look great. Can you or anyone else provide a little info on this subject of using soft bags vs. the BMW bags?

Lastly, is there a way to have a seat back for the pillion using the rear rack? I would prefer that over a seat that incorporates the seat back.

Weird Bug screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 09:57 AM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:05 AM   #490
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
WB,

I have an RT an an R.

The RT is taller and harder for me to handle with a passenger. My passenger says there is a little more room on the RT.

For Real long distances it would be hard to beat the RT. The wind noise could be tiring after a while on the R. I too want and will get a scout faring. The Parabellum windshield is OK up to 60 mph then the buffeting gets annoying depending on which helmet I wear.

For the back rest I needed something but did not want the top case, so I bolted the smallish pellican case to the back (waterproof) and attached a $5.00 back pad to that. She likes it.

I bought the hard side bags with the bike because its not a BMW to me with out them. I only use them when needed, not every day riding. The small case on the back works for me.

I tried soft bags once and found them not water proof no matter what.

I needed the R because its 120 lbs lighter than my RT an lower.
Leg room is less on the R but its a lower bike.

I test drove an 09 RT before buying the R. I did not find it had much if any more power than my 2000 with a fuel controller. The engine was smoother. It had too much plastic for me. Bike seemed bigger and not near as smooth lines. It just did not do much for me.

To each his own.

The back rest, Simple like me.

David R screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 06:14 AM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:55 AM   #491
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
My R100R, Badwater Basin, Death Valley CA

garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #492
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
WB,

I have an RT an an R.

The RT is taller and harder for me to handle with a passenger. My passenger says there is a little more room on the RT.

For Real long distances it would be hard to beat the RT. The wind noise could be tiring after a while on the R. I too want and will get a scout faring. The Parabellum windshield is OK up to 60 mph then the buffeting gets annoying depending on which helmet I wear.

For the back rest I needed something but did not want the top case, so I bolted the smallish pellican case to the back (waterproof) and attached a $5.00 back pad to that. She likes it.

I bought the hard side bags with the bike because its not a BMW to me with out them. I only use them when needed, not every day riding. The small case on the back works for me.

I tried soft bags once and found them not water proof no matter what.

I needed the R because its 120 lbs lighter than my RT an lower.
Leg room is less on the R but its a lower bike.

I test drove an 09 RT before buying the R. I did not find it had much if any more power than my 2000 with a fuel controller. The engine was smoother. It had too much plastic for me. Bike seemed bigger and not near as smooth lines. It just did not do much for me.

To each his own.

The back rest, Simple like me.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm still researching this, but the different year "Rs" have some things I like vs. simply ok. What year did they change the turn signals from left and right controls to "standard?" I like the old way (most don't). Also, was 2011 the year that double overhead cams came in? Any significant changes from 2007 through today that I should know about?

I apologize for my impatience. I can eventually find these answers, but enjoy and appreciate ADVRider input - has served me well for years (and hopefully my information has helped others too).
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #493
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...not sure about the R1200R signals, pretty sure they're all the same left/right. The new water cooled GS has the standard switch.

R12 bikes became camheads in 2011 with some redesigned items, new instrument cluster, new wheels, a few small bits like windshield mounting etc.

'07 up thru '10 pretty much the same roadster.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #494
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
2010 is when the overhead cam came along. This was something important to me. I do not know when the turn signals changed. I think they are the same as my RT except they finally put self cancelling as standard. I don't think there is much other difference in the hexheads and camheads. The dash on the new R is much more like the one on my 1976 R75/6 which I prefer over the other style on the older R models.

I remember reading the aritcle in a motorcycle magazine about the new BMW that was partially oil cooled. It had all these improvments over an airhead. That was around 1994. I remmber then thinking why the heck didn't they make it overhead cam. They used a chain to drive the cam but still had short pushrods. When the "right" one came out I had to have it weather it was an R or RT. Its the same for the telelever suspension and ABS. I wanted both on my next bike.

I put 25,000 miles on my RT in one year. The next year I bought a smaller bike for a commuter so I would not have to deal with the weight of the RT to run to the store or other things. This split the mileage between the two bikes. Now I have a Versys for a commuter and the R for weekends which aree usually 2 or 3 day trips.

I load the R the same as the RT except no glove box. The storage is the same.

Mine is the one in the front with tent, sleeping pad and bag on the back.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #495
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
As Rapid Dog says above, the camhead motor came to the R in 2011, not 2010, when it came to the other R1200 bikes. Turn signals are all BMW style even now - the RT switched at some point in the last few years but not sure exactly when.

Camheads also have an exhaust flapper valve that keeps the volume low at idle but lets it open up a bit at higher revs and fatter bars (at the mounting point). A lot of people seem to think the newer stock seats are better - I have a 2011 with the "comfort" seat and have no issues doing 500+ mile days although your milage may vary; some folks whine about the stock seat constantly.

If you're looking at used bikes, some earlier ones won't have traction control or even ABS - I think it was optional for the first few years. I believe it's still technically an option but most bikes seem to get to the dealer with it already installed.

There are other slight changes between the model years - for example, the gas tank cap ring is slightly different. I found this out when mounting my Bags-Connection tank bag ring. I had a hell of a time getting the mounting ring for the 2011-on bikes at the time. I was the first guy that ran into this issue with Twisted Throttle, should be sorted now. So when you're looking for farkles, do your research. Some will fit across all years, some won't.

There's a wealth of information on the various roadsters - including the R1200R - over at http://r1150r.org.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote