Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #496
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
2. Is the pillion area the same as the RT? That is, it looks more cramped in pictures, but I would think that the R is the same wheelbase, same frame, etc. - just a lot less (none!) tupperware.
It's a little smaller than the RT, as has been stated. I have an '11 with the standard comfort seat, and it's still a decent amount of space for me and my passenger. Granted, my girl and I are small: 5'6"ish and ~140# each. She's done a few 250 mile days with me so far and had no complaints about the space.

Quote:
Lastly, is there a way to have a seat back for the pillion using the rear rack? I would prefer that over a seat that incorporates the seat back.
I've been looking for a decent passenger backrest as well, but haven't found anything I like.

You can put a BMW top case on with a back pad. It's a little over $500 for the small case, assuming you already have the luggage rack.

There's a kit for attaching a Givi mount plate over the top of the BMW luggage rack, or directly to the grab handles if you don't have the rack. You can then mount any Givi Top case.

The Pirates Lair made a small number of Stealth Backrests that fit on the luggage rack, but aren't made anymore: http://piratesk12site.net/R1200RTStealth.htm

There may be a version of the Bakup backrest that would fit the 'R as well. But at $360+? http://www.ceebaileys.com/bakup/bmwbakup.html

At this point, for my longer trips, we stuff a Wolfman Ridgeline Plus full of our extra layers and such and strap it to the luggage rack. It gives something behind my girl for her to feel held on and some soft (depending on what is in the bag) lower back support. We tried a large Givi, and she felt like each bump was a punch in the back...

I went from an FJR to the 'R, and I like it a lot better. I fit the controls better on the 'R. I like the lower weight a lot. I even like the amount of air with BMW's small sport screen better most of the time - assuming I'm not on the highway at 75 mph all day.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #497
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
At this point, for my longer trips, we stuff a Wolfman Ridgeline Plus full of our extra layers and such and strap it to the luggage rack. It gives something behind my girl for her to feel held on and some soft (depending on what is in the bag) lower back support.

-Alec
Simple, practicle, and easy to use - good idea!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #498
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Also - to DiabloADV, or anyone else with an opinion on this. I would need panniers, but I know not all used bikes come with them. I see the soft bags on yours and they look great. Can you or anyone else provide a little info on this subject of using soft bags vs. the BMW bags?
The hard bags are better. If I get another one of these (should have NEVER sold this one), I'm getting hard cases. They look nice, they work, they lock...better in every way IMO.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #499
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
The hard bags are better. If I get another one of these (should have NEVER sold this one), I'm getting hard cases. They look nice, they work, they lock...better in every way IMO.
Not to pimp sale stuff too much, but since it's been mentioned a couple times in this thread, I'm going to putting a set of stock side cases and a 28L top case up for sale shortly - like next week-ish. If anyone's looking, PM me.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #500
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Hey SF

What luggage are you switching to? I see you have a Givi topcase over on the R1200R forum, are you going all Givi or just going with the topcase?
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #501
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop71 View Post
Hey SF

What luggage are you switching to? I see you have a Givi topcase over on the R1200R forum, are you going all Givi or just going with the topcase?
Well... I'm actually going all BMW. Someone here in the bay area is selling a set of diamond black sidecases + two diamond black 49 L topcases. So I'm putting the diamond black BMW cases on my bike and one my pals who also has an R1200R is taking the other 49 L topcase. I'll then probably sell all three cases I have now, plus maybe my Givi E52.

I currently have the Givi E52 mounted using Shakey's solution from the R1200R forum. It's pretty good and I'd leave it at that, but I'm getting a pretty good deal on these diamond black cases so I couldn't resist. Also, it's really hard having two keys on my keyring. At least that's the plan - I'm a little worried about shiny side cases. I'm not super good at keeping my boots off them, and my bike hasn't been washed (other than by rainy days) since I rode it out of the dealer in 2011.

I will probably hang on to the Givi mounting setup I created for now. I have some ideas for topcase mounting I want to screw around with. But if the big BMW topcase ends up being as awesome as I hope, that'll probably be my long-term setup. Unless Jesse comes out with bags for the R1200R or I get bored.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #502
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post

I've been looking for a decent passenger backrest as well, but haven't found anything I like.

You can put a BMW top case on with a back pad. It's a little over $500 for the small case, assuming you already have the luggage rack.

-Alec
I've got one for sale. $250 pm me.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #503
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Hey all, I finally read through all 34 pages of this thread and feel allowed to comment or chime in! This thread has been even more fun and pleasant to read (and useful!) than some dedicated R****R forums I've lurked! I chalk that up to ADVriders being good people and I'm pretty happy to be here. (That, and I'm deployed overseas right now and can't access the R****R forums from my location, but whatever.)

My thoughts on my '11 R1200R Classic are long for a forum post, but you can read them on my blog entry if you care. I can summarize by saying I love my bike. Every now and then I think of selling it to get something truly classic like an old Airhead, but then I roll on the throttle and think, "Naaaah!"

My only gripe is the wind noise. It's unbearable. Reading a post from DiabloADV has me thinking the Wunderlich Trophy screen might quiet it down, blocking the gas tank wind tunnel. The wife has given me the okay, so here's hoping. (She loves riding pillion with me, so I think she's in favor of anything that will extend the length of rides I'm willing to do. Plus, then I get free back rubs!) Any input on this fairing? Because I figure the bike needs more racing stripe anyway!

And seeing the gorgeous pics from Hoop71, I think I've got my battle plan in order. When it's time to put the bike away next winter, I'll pull it all apart, get the frame painted black to "hide" it some (classic bikes didn't have trellis frames), black out/remove the R1200R sticker, and do the Alpina kit to convert that spoked wheel to truly be tubeless. Anybody have experience with this or other methods?

Also planning on adding the BMW luggage rack, top box, and backrest for my lovely lady. I don't like how the factory hard saddle bags look like a big bloated butt yet still can't swallow a 15" laptop without an awkward angle, but I'll live with it for the convenience of being keyed to the ignition and how quick/easy they are to remove/replace.

Anyhow, happy to be here and to have read all of your posts! Great info and beautiful bikes!

Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #504
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by garthg View Post

What a beautiful bike.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #505
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,116
Eric, perhaps your helmet is a factor and contributes to the excessive wing noise.

Regards, Paul
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #506
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Eric, perhaps your helmet is a factor and contributes to the excessive wing noise.

Regards, Paul
I agree (to some degree) and have been experimenting. I have to do something on my 6-7,000 mile trips.

When I shrug my shoulders (that is pull them up under my helmet) while riding my ST3s most of all the wind noise goes away. I wear earplugs all the time - FYI. I've tried an air bladder from REI (the one you use on an airplane - around the back of your next) under my riding jacket. That worked a bit, but was very difficult to position after donning the jacket.

My next try will be one of the neck braces that you see dirt bike riders ware (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ce-Collar.aspx). Seems as though the noise comes from the wind accelerating upwards from my chest and squeezed through between my shoulders and bottom of the helmet.

I'm interested in your thoughts. If I solve it I can stay "naked" for longer.

Edit - this is not fun to watch, but gets me to thinking in a safety manner as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen

Weird Bug screwed with this post 03-29-2013 at 08:33 AM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #507
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
I agree (to some degree) and have been experimenting. I have to do something on my 6-7,000 mile trips.

When I shrug my shoulders (that is pull them up under my helmet) while riding my ST3s most of all the wind noise goes away. I wear earplugs all the time - FYI. I've tried an air bladder from REI (the one you use on an airplane - around the back of your next) under my riding jacket. That worked a bit, but was very difficult to position after donning the jacket.

My next try will be one of the neck braces that you see dirt bike riders ware (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ce-Collar.aspx). Seems as though the noise comes from the wind accelerating upwards from my chest and squeezed through between my shoulders and bottom of the helmet.

I'm interested in your thoughts. If I solve it I can stay "naked" for longer.

Edit - this is not fun to watch, but gets me to thinking in a safety manner as well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...ture=endscreen
I've tried four windscreens on my R1200R: stock fly screen, touring screen, big and small Cee Baileys. Quietest was no screen at all, but it was hard on my neck at over 75 MPH for over a couple hours. I've settled on the smallish BMW "touring" screen for a compromise. I recently switched from a Shoei Qwest to Neotec and a lot of the wind rumbling noise went away, surprisingly.

There's TONS more windscreen info over at http://r1150r.org - they're big into trying to figure out this "problem."
Old 03-29-2013, 09:08 AM   #508
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

[QUOTE=SF_Hooligan;21061508] I recently switched from a Shoei Qwest to Neotec and a lot of the wind rumbling noise went away, surprisingly. /QUOTE]

I'm overdue for replacing my flip face Shoei. Can you tell me a bit more about the Neotec - especially the noise reduction? Of course as in if you were riding your R****R so that we can keep the thread on track
Old 03-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #509
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
I'm overdue for replacing my flip face Shoei. Can you tell me a bit more about the Neotec - especially the noise reduction? Of course as in if you were riding your R****R so that we can keep the thread on track
Sure - it's specific to riding the R1200R because it changes the wind noise.

I wrote a pretty full review on it over on BARF. The summary is it's super high quality - like all Shoeis. Feels nice, solid, high quality. Inclusion of a Pinlock shield + insert is very nice, although at this price it should include a couple bars of platinum as well. To my head, it fits exactly like the Qwest - I wear a large.

The shield action is solid to the point of almost being too firm - assuming this will break in more over time. Liner is replaceable, and pretty comfy. It was also the easiest SMH 10 install I've ever done - pretty cool considering it's a modular.

In terms of noise, I wear 33 dB plugs pretty much all the time, and the helmet is very quiet. The biggest difference I noticed coming over from the Qwest was a reduction in wind rumbling at high speeds. The BMW "touring" shield doesn't offer much chest-and-up protection, and the Qwest was pretty rumbly above about 65 MPH. The Neotec doesn't have that.

Venting is the best of any of the "street" style helmets I've owned. I've read complaints here and there about noise from the top vent - I have only noticed excessive noise from the top vent in certain circumstances like high crosswinds, otherwise it seems to make almost no noise at all. There is a bit of noise from the chinbar vent, sort of a scratchy air sound if that makes sense. It doesn't bother me - I wear glasses and want as much air coming through there as possible to prevent fogging on rainy commute days, etc.

Hmmm.. that about covers it. Happy to answer any other specific questions.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #510
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 578
i have been trying to solve the turbulence and wind noise on my '07 R12R. so far i have tried a 1st gen cee baleys, a calsci and a 2nd gen cee baileys with no real improvement. on one of my other bikes i have a madstad that is fantastic. riding the bike with the madstad on it without earplugs is so much quieter then riding my R12R with my custom made earplugs. i am going to try putting a madstad on my R12R and i am sure it will work good but damn is it ugly.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote