User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #556
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
R1200R and Starbucks

Recently purchased a 2011 and it is sitting in front of Starbucks as I transition from waking up to the workday. The bike looks great in the parking space and awaits my weekend for an overnight trip and adventure.

Thankfully I am not on a GS least I be judged as a poseur
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #557
Joelh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I have a 96 r1100r classic and the spokes are on the outside, so it takes tubeless tires I don't know if it holds true foe the new ones but I would think that it would
Joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:16 AM   #558
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 790
There ya go.... playing to our unfortunate stereotype

I am kind of guilty of that myself, though I do not do Starbucks at all. When my HD brothers start giving me crap about the RT, they usually at some point ask where the cappuccino machine is. I simply grin and remove this from the top-case:

2011 R1200RT
MSF/RidersEdge #127350, NAUI #36288
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #559
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,451

Screw stereotypes.

Old 04-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #560
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 1,988
Mine hasn't graced a Starbucks parking lot yet, but I'm pretty sure it will on my trip to Atlanta next weekend.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #561
sugarcrook
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Ugh, and here I thought the classic's spoked wheels take normal tubeless tires. I guess they do, only I didn't know it still required a tube on the inside. My excitement has dropped, a little.
I'm with you here. I love the way the Classic looks but didn't want to deal with a tube. Went for the 90th anniversary instead and couldn't be happier with the bike.
sugarcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #562
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

I blew up all kinds of steriotypes when I did have the GS. I rode with my dad (68 years old, long grey beard, odd 1/2 to 3/4 helmet, tatoos - riding for 50+ years - almost all the gear). He rides a HD Sportster 883. We both would go to SBs on occasion. He's 75 now and rides regularly - almost 25,000 on the 883.

I am ATGATT, no tatoos, clean cut. Quite a site.

BTW - he blows up steriotypes for the 883 by riding about 250-400 miles per day with me on our yearly trips (e.g., around Florida, in and about North Carolina, Blood Mountain area).

I have fun with the forum members calling out poseurs and passing more judgement than a gassy cow on a windy day - therefore this post.

I'm certian however, that there are those of you out there that just simply enjoy riding whatever you have.

ka5ysy - that probably gets a lot of laughs - and shuts em up at the same time. I love it. My bro now has my RT and when we are on long trips together I look over with envy when he's sitting back in silence with the cruise control on.

kraven - you go - and you right man! Screw 'um!

phOrk - if you are like me you are simply either looking for a place to stop for a mo, or a destination for a ride - anyplace will do - just a place to go and turn around while you enjoy the in-between.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #563
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Ugh, and here I thought the classic's spoked wheels take normal tubeless tires. I guess they do, only I didn't know it still required a tube on the inside. My excitement has dropped, a little.

Could you post a link or reference to this video?
Even easier than my GS was - and way easier than the RT!

http://www.jimvonbaden.com/

$25 bucks will save you multiple hundreds each service. Plus, you get to know your bike better - which I feel is a good thing and allows you to catch problems early.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #564
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcrook View Post
I'm with you here. I love the way the Classic looks but didn't want to deal with a tube. Went for the 90th anniversary instead and couldn't be happier with the bike.
I've been having a hard time finding a used 1200R and this is the best one to come along. Technically there is nothing keeping me from sending my wheels off and having them converted to tubeless. Sure I might spend a couple hundred, but is there any other downside?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #565
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
I've been having a hard time finding a used 1200R and this is the best one to come along. Technically there is nothing keeping me from sending my wheels off and having them converted to tubeless. Sure I might spend a couple hundred, but is there any other downside?
You won't have an integrated TPS system. That's it.

Honestly, I was a little weirded out by tubes at first, but I ride the piss out of my bike day in, day out, all year long and have had zero issues with the tubes. I will probably convert them at some point to make roadside tire repairs a little easier, and maybe even put in some kind of aftermarket TPS - but it's really not a big deal.
SF_Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #566
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
I think I may be a bit like Phork...

2013 V-strom 650 appeals to me a lot. So does a used R1150R. Sorry, but the tank on the R1100R looks too much like a tumor. I'm not interested in big power, I just think the R1150R is in the right category for what appeals to me. There are some decent prices on used ones out there.

How is the R1150R for someone who is 6'3" 225lbs?

How is the R1150R for two-up comfort? ( My wife is 5'8")

Any pros/cons to the dual-spark bikes? (2004 up, right?)

I'd prefer ABS, is there any good reason I should avoid it on the R1150R?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #567
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post

2013 V-strom 650 appeals to me a lot. So does a used R1150R. Sorry, but the tank on the R1100R looks too much like a tumor. I'm not interested in big power, I just think the R1150R is in the right category for what appeals to me. There are some decent prices on used ones out there.

I have an'04 r1150r, and an 02 rt

You gotta try one-or at least sit on one. I find my legs a little cramped, and I've got a 30" inseam. Suspension is good.
I bought the bike used, and don't know if I have the low seat or not.
My GF likes the passenger seat OK, but for long rides, she much prefers the r1150RT seat. We're old, however, and even that one sucks after 4-5 hours
Dual spark? makes it much smoother than the single spark RT, but the stick coils are over $100 each. (damhik)

ABS? Personal preference I guess I don't have it and I don't miss it. I rarely used it on the RT, and the pump crapped out. Cost a LOT to fix-the part is $2500

Over all really like the R bike for short trips, commuting, adn hot weather riding, and plan to keep one in the stable. I think it's quite capable 2-up also.

Jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #568
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungPaoDog View Post

I rode a 2000 RT for 3 years. Next bike is an R because the RT is too tall and too heavy for me.

The R is a whole different animal. Less than 500 lbs wet. Lots of torque. My girlfriend says the RT is more comfortable and has more room. I agree. Just not what I wanted this time around.

I have a 2011 650 Versys for sale. Sweet bike, but I don't need it now that I have the R.

David
Old 04-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #569
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
How's the the R over 70mph? I have a F650gs twin that I love, but is brutal on the highway above 70, even with a taller windshield. I've always liked the look of the R bikes, especially the classic, but I feel the highway rides will be just as bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #570
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
How's the the R over 70mph? I have a F650gs twin that I love, but is brutal on the highway above 70, even with a taller windshield. I've always liked the look of the R bikes, especially the classic, but I feel the highway rides will be just as bad.
Over 70 makes you feel like 60 is just fine. Funny though that I'm fine with that. The is really fun to ride up to 60 mph and after that it is a bit breezy, but that is what I wanted. I had an RT and at 90 you could go no hands and feel like you were sitting in a convertible car. I want a motorcycle, not a car like feel.

Weird Bug screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 09:57 PM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote