Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #571
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
How's the the R over 70mph? I have a F650gs twin that I love, but is brutal on the highway above 70, even with a taller windshield. I've always liked the look of the R bikes, especially the classic, but I feel the highway rides will be just as bad.
Read about windshields for the R bikes. I have the Parabellum Sport shield which is a barn door. Its great till almost 80 then the buffeting can wear on me. I rarely do over 70 so its not a big deal. Looking real close at the Parabellum Scout.

I can ride this bike all day with out being sore. I too had an RT. Not the same. The R is a more sporty, lower, lighter bike with the same motor.

The suspension is similar as the RT. I have never bottomed out my R even with full load and passenger. The brakes are better than my 2000 RT.

Its all a matter of taste.

My R will do 100 mph in 3rd. It doesn't seem to care what gear its in, just crank the throttle and hang on! Lots of usable power.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #572
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
windshields... I've got the Cee Bailey Sport Screen ... like it in fall-spring, still on today. In summer I go back to the stock BMW flyscreen.

Awesome ride today and took a shot in one of the few breaks of sunshine
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #573
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Whelp, I bought an '11 R1200R Classic today with 13K miles. I really like it so far. Good power, awesome brakes and very nimble. A couple things I have noticed on my 150 mile ride home:

Transmission is extremely smooth, but sometimes it can be hard to find 1st from neutral. It's the first bike I've owned that I can put in 1st without any click/clunk whatsoever, interesting. Several times I was sitting at a light and it took 2 or 3 presses on the shifter to get in 1st.

There is a noticeable rumble that carries through the bars a bit when I get around 4.5K + RPM. This is the first R1200 boxer I've ridden so it may just be one of the characteristics. It's so where near as bad as the high frequency buzz I got with my Tiger 1050.

Overall, it seems to be a great machine that I look forward to spending many miles on!
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #574
rjap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
N -> 1st shifts were troublesome when my R1200R Classic (2012) was new. Two techniques that worked:
(1) Gently blip the throttle (+1000 rpm) in N with the clutch out, then shift.
(2) Load the shifter while gently easing out the clutch. It will shift into first before the clutch engages hardly at all and you can pull the clutch back in.

At 14,000 mi though, N -> 1st shifts no longer require the above.
rjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #575
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
windshields... I've got the Cee Bailey Sport Screen ... like it in fall-spring, still on today. In summer I go back to the stock BMW flyscreen.

Awesome ride today and took a shot in one of the few breaks of sunshine
That's the best looking Cee Bailey screen I've ever seen.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #576
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
Cee-Bailey

Comes in tinted too... and mounts to the '11 and '12 flyscreen mounts (maybe other years - not sure). Some additional photos on the R forum: www.r1150r.net

I like it, keeps the blast off the chest in winter. For me, same exact wind noise/buffeting as the flyscreen ... no distinct difference, just a bit less fatiguing after a 200+ mile day due to reduced wind-blast. I never had an issue with noise.buffeting - all are loud, too many variables. I simply love the bike and wear ear-plugs over 100 mile days.

Note - I'll be painting my flyscreen black this spring before install and will update when I get off my ass and actually do it. For now - time to ride!

Linky:
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200rss.html

Front shot on my bike when I got it last summer:

Against the flyscreen:
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #577
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Comes in tinted too... and mounts to the '11 and '12 flyscreen mounts (maybe other years - not sure). Some additional photos on the R forum: www.r1150r.net

I like it, keeps the blast off the chest in winter. For me, same exact wind noise/buffeting as the flyscreen ... no distinct difference, just a bit less fatiguing after a 200+ mile day due to reduced wind-blast. I never had an issue with noise.buffeting - all are loud, too many variables. I simply love the bike and wear ear-plugs over 100 mile days.

Note - I'll be painting my flyscreen black this spring before install and will update when I get off my ass and actually do it. For now - time to ride!

Linky:
http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/bmwr1200rss.html
An alternative take - my bike came with the sport screen, which I replaced with the the same CB screen Patch shows on his bike above. For me (5'10", regular seat height, stock bars/pegs) it was horrible - very bad buffeting at freeway speeds. I took it off after a couple of days. I know other folks who've had good luck with it, though.

I've had a total of four screens on my bike so far, and the stock BMW "touring" screen has been the best mix of a little bit of protection + least buffeting. Quietest/least buffeting was no screen at all, but it was a little tiresome for an hour+ of freeway speeds (80-85 usually) for me. Note: I wear plugs for any ride more than a couple blocks.

If you check out the roadster forum (linked to numerous times in this thread) there's a ton of ongoing discussion/debate/argument about screens. It seems to be extremely specific to individual riders.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #578
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,399

I have the Parabellum sport shield. I called to order the Scout color matched to my bike. They called back and said I need to send a body part to match the paint or get it painted locally.

The scout is the only stationary shield with laminar flow. Wonderlich only comes with a short screen.

Thinking about it. I have other options.

David
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #579
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I have a question on adjusting the stock rear suspension. I'd like to stiffen it up a bit. The manual recommends that if the preload is adjusted then the damping should also be adjusted. Is there a rule of thumb for how many turns I should give the damping adjustment screw for each bar of preload I add?

I've read that for each visual 'bar' I adjust the preload you should give the damping screw a full turn. I don't see how this is correct when the manual (2011 R) states the default setting can be achieved by turning the screw toward Hard until it stops, then back it off only 1.5 turns.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #580
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
windscreen

Just thought I'd jump in with the windscreen discussion. My 04 came with a MRA Vario screen from twisted throttle. I was just recently able to read the name on the shield, and see found out they're made in Germany, and sold here by twisted throttle (No association) It's a small two piece, adjustable unit, and has a wind channel between the two pieces that shoots air up over my head. (I'm only 5'9" or so, so YMMV). It amazes me how quiet and adjustable this thing is, especially for it's size. I'm curious if anyone else has one?

Jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #581
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Front Rotor(s) Question

While washing the bike today I noticed the front rotors moved slightly when pulled - as if I was trying to rotate it the same direction the wheel turns (as if you were pulling on the edge of a Frisbie). Both of them did it so it makes me think this is normal and may be floating. Does yours?

2011 R1200R
Old 04-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #582
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
While washing the bike today I noticed the front rotors moved slightly when pulled - as if I was trying to rotate it the same direction the wheel turns (as if you were pulling on the edge of a Frisbie). Both of them did it so it makes me think this is normal and may be floating. Does yours?

2011 R1200R
Yep, they are real floating rotors. Suppose to do that...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #583
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,064
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
.... I'm curious if anyone else has one?...
I've got the X-creen if that's the one you're speaking of. Works pretty well with the flyscreen.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #584
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Mine's a little different. Here's a link, since I couldn't seem to get a picture to appear. If this doesn't come out, I'll try again later.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/mra-v...rt-motorcycles

JIm

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #585
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
I'm geting a bit tired of the "quirks" of my '10 K1300S and am considering trading the K-bike in on a '13 R1200R. I use the K-bike primarily as a commuter and it just does not seem hold up well to crappy weather and stop-n-go traffic.

1) Has anybody made a similar switch and regretted it?

2) Will the BMW sport panniers that I have for the K-bike work on the R1200R?

Thanks,
Mike

RedFrogTango screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:37 AM
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote