Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #601
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Bought my '04 R1150R in 2010 from the original owner, who had only put 8400 miles on it. Added the GS handgrips and a cheap JC Whitney rear trunk ($45) mounted on a cutting board. Didn't trust the stock rubber after 7 years, so I put on Road Pilot 2's and the rest is is simplicity itself. This bike rocks! Weight to power ratio perfect for me in town or on the long haul. Reliable as the day is long, never fails to perform or excite. I have ridden many bikes, owned primarily Airheads before this, but there is no comparison for my style of riding.
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #602
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 408
Witness to Will's R1150R post

Hey Will, agree on your post on the R1150R :), several times I've gone on trips while loaded down and it never failed me.

FYI: I went to MotoGP this past weekend and needed some more room so I just mounted a cabinet rack I found at Lowe's to the place on back where silver piece goes. Just removed it and used the existing holes to mount the rack and bolt down. I did had two more holes in the frame pieces, but as you can see it handled a lot of mass without complaint. Like you I also have Pilot Road 2s and can testify they gripped like leeches on several of the Texas Hill Country roads such as all three of the Sisters and others. Love the bike, just wish I could find a magic windshield, but we can't have it all, I guess.

Can you give the specific model of the rear trunk you got at JCW? I'd like something with a lid on it for rides where I don't need to carry as much gear, thanks.

This pic is at the YO Ranch Hotel in Kerrville, TX, trying to keep our bikes out of the rain that showed up Wednesday night, ended up using the cover.

This one shows the rack loaded up on the way to Kerrville, TX.

Ricky Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #603
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
FYI: I went to MotoGP this past weekend and needed some more room so I just mounted a cabinet rack I found at Lowe's to the place on back where silver piece goes. Just removed it and used the existing holes to mount the rack and bolt down
I gotta say... and no offense intended at all - that rack is ghetto as hell, but I like it! Well done!
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #604
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I gotta say... and no offense intended at all - that rack is ghetto as hell, but I like it! Well done!

I wouldn't have done it except my friend's new Thruxton was not equipped to carry all his luggage so I had to tote one of his bags, and I didn't like having a tall pile right behind me, so I needed SOMETHING to get it further back so I could get off the freaking bike, lol. I actually had a couple of guys looking it over in lot J at the race and saying it gave them ideas, lol. I am pulling it tomorrow .
Old 04-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #605
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:

I wouldn't have done it except my friend's new Thruxton was not equipped to carry all his luggage so I had to tote one of his bags, and I didn't like having a tall pile right behind me, so I needed SOMETHING to get it further back so I could get off the freaking bike, lol. I actually had a couple of guys looking it over in lot J at the race and saying it gave them ideas, lol. I am pulling it tomorrow .
I particularly like the tool tube/fuel mounts. I have one of those lying around that I've been trying to find a good spot for on my R1200R. Good stuff!
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:54 PM   #606
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Can anyone without a windscreen on their 1200R tell me if there should be bolts/anything in these holes? I removed my windscreen bracket and wondered if I need to reinsert the bolts or get plugs, etc.

tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #607
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Can anyone without a windscreen on their 1200R tell me if there should be bolts/anything in these holes? I removed my windscreen bracket and wondered if I need to reinsert the bolts or get plugs, etc.
There are bolts there that hold the headlight bracket.
For some reason the one's on my R where about an inch too long, WTF was BMW thinkin'...
Mine stripped out on one side when I removed it for paint.
Maybe that's why yhours are missing...
You should put a bolt in there.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #608
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
There are bolts there that hold the headlight bracket.
For some reason the one's on my R where about an inch too long, WTF was BMW thinkin'...
Mine stripped out on one side when I removed it for paint.
Maybe that's why yhours are missing...
You should put a bolt in there.
Thanks, I'll throw them back in then. It honestly seems completely sturdy without anything in them so I wasn't sure if they were needed.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #609
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 711
Any mechanical differences between model years 2012 and 2013 for the R1200R?
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #610
willfreely
Elderly Beligerant

Oddometer: 394
Can you give the specific model of the rear trunk you got at JCW?

Ricky
Maybe I'm wrong about what I paid, but I swear it was under $50. Not now, however, see the price variance from JC to Amazon (fronting for Motorcycle Superstore).

I know I got the Emgo, because I cut the EM part off the top sticker and now it just says "GO".
 photo c2d41c61-ca0e-4afb-afd9-c12e080da9ad.jpg
Here's a better shot of the trunk. Waterproof, so it will hold ice and barley therapy. I took off the curved BMW rack, which is pretty useless, and cut and drilled a plastic cutting board to be the base.

willfreely screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 02:01 PM
willfreely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #611
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Thanks, Will, that looks pretty handy! I have larger system bags than yours, but they aren't that much larger, lol. Put a bike cover and a small Slime air pump in one side and you've eaten up half a side already. I will investigate, thanks again.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #612
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Top Box

Quote:
Thanks, Will, that looks pretty handy! I have larger system bags than yours, but they aren't that much larger, lol. Put a bike cover and a small Slime air pump in one side and you've eaten up half a side already. I will investigate, thanks again.
FWIW I just mounted a Coocase on the larger BMW rack (I swapped out the curvy original). It fits nice and the 28 liter Coocase was only $59! The adapting plate (base plate) was $15 for the BMW rack.

On another note have any of you mounted auxiliary driving lights on your R1200R? If so, can you tell me where you mounted them and possible add a picture? I'd like to add some ADVMonster lights low down - so I can get that triangle of light going.

Weird Bug screwed with this post 04-24-2013 at 05:11 PM Reason: Top Box and Auxiliary Lights
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #613
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
New Seat & Wunderlich Fairing review

Well had my first chance to go for an extended ride with the new Trophy fairing and I have to say, for me, it is just about perfect

There is no wind blast on my chest and no buffeting around my helmet. I have the regular wind noise from doing 75MPH but not rough air.

I prefer to stay off the interstate but I had to make a ferry early in the AM near Seattle so I had no choice. On secondary roads from 45-60MPH is a DREAM with the fairing. I could not be happier!!

The reason for my trip to Kingston was to have a seat made at Rich's Custom Seats. I had read reviews online and for the most part they were positive with a few negatives and I felt better doing a ride in appointment instead of a mail order seat.

The seat was $$$ but man it was sooo worth it. Workmanship is top-notch and Rich is an easy guy to work with. Upgraded seat cover to leather which increased cost but well worth it. Would highly recommend Rich to anyone looking for a more comfortable seat.

Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #614
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop71 View Post
Well had my first chance to go for an extended ride with the new Trophy fairing and I have to say, for me, it is just about perfect

There is no wind blast on my chest and no buffeting around my helmet. I have the regular wind noise from doing 75MPH but not rough air.

I prefer to stay off the interstate but I had to make a ferry early in the AM near Seattle so I had no choice. On secondary roads from 45-60MPH is a DREAM with the fairing. I could not be happier!!

The reason for my trip to Kingston was to have a seat made at Rich's Custom Seats. I had read reviews online and for the most part they were positive with a few negatives and I felt better doing a ride in appointment instead of a mail order seat.

The seat was $$$ but man it was sooo worth it. Workmanship is top-notch and Rich is an easy guy to work with. Upgraded seat cover to leather which increased cost but well worth it. Would highly recommend Rich to anyone looking for a more comfortable seat.

One beautiful ride! I love my 2007 R1200R but I am envious.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #615
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelh View Post
I have a 96 r1100r classic and the spokes are on the outside, so it takes tubeless tires I don't know if it holds true foe the new ones but I would think that it would
Pretty sure this topic this topic has been beaten more than a dead horse, but the R1200R Classics (mine's an '11) use tubeless tires with rims that require tubes. It's a bit of a bummer for me, being younger and never having owned a bike with spoke wheels. I'm probably imagining more problems or severity to them than are realistic, but sealing my wheels is still a pretty big priority for me.

Your '96 also has a 3-position adjustable seat that BMW ditched on later models. If I want to change my seat height, I have to buy a whole new seat. While I love my camhead motor and instrument cluster, not everything that gets changed on a new model is necessarily for the better.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote