Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2013, 04:51 PM   #736
celticus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoETVitaly View Post

The kit is compatible with models R1200 R 2006-2013.

http://www.unitgarage.com/kit_r120_r
I liked it on the /6 and /7 but would not put it on my bike. Maybe more of a R90S or 1982 R100R tank I would do. Those were some of the best looking tanks ever made.
celticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #737
TiPirate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Anyone have experience with a Dart flysrcreen on an R11R? Looks like the one meant for the MotoGuzzi V7 will fit the headlight mount and have it terminate a couple inches above the top of the instruments. Good price, and the fit/finish gets great reviews.

http://dartflyscreens.com/en/v7.html
TiPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #738
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
I'm trying to decide between two Ztechnik Vstream sport screens for my new R1200R.

1) The sport touring model (Z2442) has a light tint and measures 18" tall.
2) The sport model (Z2443) has a dark tint and measures 14" tall.

I prefer the looks of the shorter and darker sport model, but my dealer raised a question about whether the LEOs will take issue with the dark tint. I can't beleive that this would be a problem, particularly since the dark screen is only 14" tall. Anybody ever heard of this being a problem?

FWIW - I'm only 5'-8".
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #739
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,965
...that has gotta be total and utter buulshidt. Tinted screens on bikes have no such regulations. And I live in Califunnia...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #740
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I'm trying to decide between two Ztechnik Vstream sport screens for my new R1200R.

1) The sport touring model (Z2442) has a light tint and measures 18" tall.
2) The sport model (Z2443) has a dark tint and measures 14" tall.

I prefer the looks of the shorter and darker sport model, but my dealer raised a question about whether the LEOs will take issue with the dark tint. I can't beleive that this would be a problem, particularly since the dark screen is only 14" tall. Anybody ever heard of this being a problem?

FWIW - I'm only 5'-8".
How is a dark tint going to affect anything? No different than someone with a black bike and a full fairing.

I would go with the 14" Z2443 as it worked great on my bike before I got the trophy fairing.

Hoop71 screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 10:55 PM
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #741
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
My service tech at the dealer thinks the cops may stop me at night because they will think the dark tinted screen obstructs my view of the road. He told me the same thing when I tried to talk him into studding the tires on a GS a few years ago. He means well, even if he is a bit over cautious.

In any event, the dealer is getting both models in so that I can compare and verify that the shorter screen won't be a problem.

Thanks.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #742
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Seriously, Dan, you have the most consistently beautiful photos of your bike.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #743
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
Seriously, Dan, you have the most consistently beautiful photos of your bike.
Thank you Eric!

One more of a recent ride here in BC:

Also a little project I just recently finished. Made a Cruiser bike from the frame up and modelled it after my bike (Black with White Stripe). I think it turned out pretty good!

My wife calls the BMW Big Moe (she has never told me why?) so the bike is called Mini Moe.

Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM   #744
Fastdog
n00b

Oddometer: 4
British Columbia

A beautiful bike and some fantastic scenery. The photo of the lake and the mountains reminds me of a trip my wife and I were fortunate enough to take on the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff in 2000. We stayed at many of the old railroad hotels and enjoyed the trip immensely.

You live in a beautiful part of North America.

Bill
Fastdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #745
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Can anyone tell me the default position of the rear shock damping adjustment screw? I think the manual says turn all the way to "H" and then back off 1.5 turns. But that seems odd if the common recommendation is to turn it a full rotation for each bar of preload you add. Since there would several bars of preload in each direction from stock position. Is there any harm in just cranking up the preload but leaving damping where it's at?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #746
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
My service tech at the dealer thinks the cops may stop me at night because they will think the dark tinted screen obstructs my view of the road. He told me the same thing when I tried to talk him into studding the tires on a GS a few years ago. He means well, even if he is a bit over cautious.

In any event, the dealer is getting both models in so that I can compare and verify that the shorter screen won't be a problem.

Thanks.
Part of the tint restriction is so that they can see into your car. At least that was for those of us living in Detroit. Guess they wanted to see what kind of guns we were carrying.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #747
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,714
We just put a deposit on a 90 year edition R1200R and are now looking for a top case solution. Ideas so far:

1) Givi - I already have a V46 top case that could be used and we might get a smaller one, too. Is the SR5100 a good base? Does someone have photos of it that are better than the really not very helpful ones Givi has on the web site?

2) Pelican - the top case will be mainly used for a DSLR + some small assorted items, so a Pelican case with plug foam is not out of the question. Would it make sense to get the BMW mount for the top case and then fabricate something for a small Pelican?

3) BMW - one key for all cases makes sense and is convenient, but it means we can't swap cases around with the other bikes (all Givi). Any really compelling argument for the original one?

Thanks for any info and any other ideas regarding that topic. Basic requirement is just "locking storage, top loading for easy access to a DSLR".
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #748
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Can anyone tell me the default position of the rear shock damping adjustment screw? I think the manual says turn all the way to "H" and then back off 1.5 turns. But that seems odd if the common recommendation is to turn it a full rotation for each bar of preload you add. Since there would several bars of preload in each direction from stock position. Is there any harm in just cranking up the preload but leaving damping where it's at?
The default setting of 1.5 out is good. The rebound screw has a total of 3 turns. 3 out is for "Comfort" which allows the bike to go over expansion joints on the highway pretty smooth. It also bounces all over the place on rough road.
All the way in (H) causes the bike to jar the crap out of me when riding solo. It keeps the bike solid on bumpy curves or when riding through the twisties. FOR ME its too stiff for anything unless the bike is fully loaded. One turn to two turns out is where I keep it.

Last weekend a friend and I did 940 miles of Catskills and adirondacks. Mostly all twisties. I had it at 1/2 turn to start. Early on the second day I went to 1 turn. Bike handles much better especially in the twisties.

On a long trip on the slab its 3 turns for that BMW ride on the highway. This is nice but be careful on the on and off ramps. Riding like a hooligan at this setting makes the bike go all over the place like a pogo stick.

For the preload, you need to decide what you want for sag and keep it there regardless of load. SO if you decide on 45 mm sag, adjust the preload to keep it there when you add weight. (One third of 140mm rear suspension travel = 46mm.) One way to do that is set the sag as it should be with you on the bike. LOOK at where the head light points when about 25 feet from the bike. A garage door works well for me. Add the weight like passenger or luggage or both. READJUST the preload to get the head light to point the same spot as before.

Add more rebound damping for more weight, faster riding or more aggressive riding.

On a trip with the girlfriend and full saddle bags, I have the preload turned all the way up and rebound at 1/4 to 1/2 out. The bike rides great even on rough back roads.

For me its not a set it and forget it. I am always adjusting.

The preload can also be called the FCK For Fat Chick Knob.

My bike loaded with about 100 lbs including saddle bags. Preload 2 bars from full, rebound at one turn.

We rode this road from end to end in New York State from the catskills to Malone. 300 miles of mostly twisties in one day. It was great! The perfect bike for the ride. This pic was taken at 5:30 am.

Back Road Burner!

YMMV Yadda Yada

David R screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 03:52 AM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #749
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,384
Laugh

I chose #2. I ordered the top rack with the bike, it was under a hundred bucks. I bought the side cases and ended up keying to match the bike my self. Dealer said it could not be done.

I then made a small back rest bracket and attached it to a small pelican type case that is bolte to the bike. I also put a cigar lighter inside the case for charging my phone or kindle fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
We just put a deposit on a 90 year edition R1200R and are now looking for a top case solution. Ideas so far:

1) Givi - I already have a V46 top case that could be used and we might get a smaller one, too. Is the SR5100 a good base? Does someone have photos of it that are better than the really not very helpful ones Givi has on the web site?

2) Pelican - the top case will be mainly used for a DSLR + some small assorted items, so a Pelican case with plug foam is not out of the question. Would it make sense to get the BMW mount for the top case and then fabricate something for a small Pelican?

3) BMW - one key for all cases makes sense and is convenient, but it means we can't swap cases around with the other bikes (all Givi). Any really compelling argument for the original one?

Thanks for any info and any other ideas regarding that topic. Basic requirement is just "locking storage, top loading for easy access to a DSLR".
$5.00 pad and some aluminum. All stainless hardware.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #750
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I chose #2. I ordered the top rack with the bike, it was under a hundred bucks. I bought the side cases and ended up keying to match the bike my self. Dealer said it could not be done.

I then made a small back rest bracket and attached it to a small pelican type case that is bolte to the bike. I also put a cigar lighter inside the case for charging my phone or kindle fire.
That's a nice concept. Although the price for the "three case carrier" seems to be $319 if I interpret this right (bike is already on the way, arriving this week in the warehouse, therefore it's not a "built to order"):

#11 seems to be the full top case carrier. We could add a top case later. I know that cases can be keyed/re-keyed to the bike, have done it on cases for the GS Adventure. We get the side cases for free with the current BMW special offer for the R, which is super nice.

I'm kind of okay paying over $300 for the carrier to keep the look right and have a luggage platform for a bag, top case, etc., but I'm not certain I want to add another $500 for the top case itself.

It's my wife's bike, so she will decide, but for her, the main requirement is "something safe and secure for the camera". So luggage carrier + Pelican might actually be not on a middle ground in price, but also the best end result for what she wants to achieve.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote