ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #751
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: SW Florida
Oddometer: 2,263
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
The default setting of 1.5 out is good. The rebound screw has a total of 3 turns. 3 out is for "Comfort" which allows the bike to go over expansion joints on the highway pretty smooth. It also bounces all over the place on rough road.
All the way in (H) causes the bike to jar the crap out of me when riding solo. It keeps the bike solid on bumpy curves or when riding through the twisties. FOR ME its too stiff for anything unless the bike is fully loaded. One turn to two turns out is where I keep it.

Last weekend a friend and I did 940 miles of Catskills and adirondacks. Mostly all twisties. I had it at 1/2 turn to start. Early on the second day I went to 1 turn. Bike handles much better especially in the twisties.

On a long trip on the slab its 3 turns for that BMW ride on the highway. This is nice but be careful on the on and off ramps. Riding like a hooligan at this setting makes the bike go all over the place like a pogo stick.

For the preload, you need to decide what you want for sag and keep it there regardless of load. SO if you decide on 45 mm sag, adjust the preload to keep it there when you add weight. (One third of 140mm rear suspension travel = 46mm.) One way to do that is set the sag as it should be with you on the bike. LOOK at where the head light points when about 25 feet from the bike. A garage door works well for me. Add the weight like passenger or luggage or both. READJUST the preload to get the head light to point the same spot as before.

Add more rebound damping for more weight, faster riding or more aggressive riding.

On a trip with the girlfriend and full saddle bags, I have the preload turned all the way up and rebound at 1/4 to 1/2 out. The bike rides great even on rough back roads.

For me its not a set it and forget it. I am always adjusting.

The preload can also be called the FCK For Fat Chick Knob.

My bike loaded with about 100 lbs including saddle bags. Preload 2 bars from full, rebound at one turn.


We rode this road from end to end in New York State from the catskills to Malone. 300 miles of mostly twisties in one day. It was great! The perfect bike for the ride. This pic was taken at 5:30 am.


Back Road Burner!

YMMV Yadda Yada
I lived in the Catskills for 40 years before retiring to Florida,Rt 30 was one of my favorites. Thanks for posting those pictures, it was déja vu all over again. Some of my other favorites are 19-47 between Curry and Big Indian, 28A south side of Ashokan Reservoir, 23a from Palenville to Hunter, 214 from Tannersville to Phoenia, 9G along east shore of the Hudson River between Rhinebeck and Catskill bridge, and many many more,

I think I just talked myself into a fall trip to the Catskills to do some leaf peeping!
__________________
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." - Steve McQueen
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #752
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
The default setting of 1.5 out is good. The rebound screw has a total of 3 turns. 3 out is for "Comfort" which allows the bike to go over expansion joints on the highway pretty smooth. It also bounces all over the place on rough road.
All the way in (H) causes the bike to jar the crap out of me when riding solo. It keeps the bike solid on bumpy curves or when riding through the twisties. FOR ME its too stiff for anything unless the bike is fully loaded. One turn to two turns out is where I keep it.

Last weekend a friend and I did 940 miles of Catskills and adirondacks. Mostly all twisties. I had it at 1/2 turn to start. Early on the second day I went to 1 turn. Bike handles much better especially in the twisties.

On a long trip on the slab its 3 turns for that BMW ride on the highway. This is nice but be careful on the on and off ramps. Riding like a hooligan at this setting makes the bike go all over the place like a pogo stick.

For the preload, you need to decide what you want for sag and keep it there regardless of load. SO if you decide on 45 mm sag, adjust the preload to keep it there when you add weight. (One third of 140mm rear suspension travel = 46mm.) One way to do that is set the sag as it should be with you on the bike. LOOK at where the head light points when about 25 feet from the bike. A garage door works well for me. Add the weight like passenger or luggage or both. READJUST the preload to get the head light to point the same spot as before.

Add more rebound damping for more weight, faster riding or more aggressive riding.

On a trip with the girlfriend and full saddle bags, I have the preload turned all the way up and rebound at 1/4 to 1/2 out. The bike rides great even on rough back roads.

For me its not a set it and forget it. I am always adjusting.

The preload can also be called the FCK For Fat Chick Knob.

My bike loaded with about 100 lbs including saddle bags. Preload 2 bars from full, rebound at one turn.


We rode this road from end to end in New York State from the catskills to Malone. 300 miles of mostly twisties in one day. It was great! The perfect bike for the ride. This pic was taken at 5:30 am.


Back Road Burner!

YMMV Yadda Yada
Awesome! Thank you for the info.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #753
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
...I'm not certain I want to add another $500 for the top case itself.


The 28-liter hard top case for the R1200R has been specified by BMW for many R, K and F models over the years. The result is that used cases abound.

I only use mine when I predict the need to lock it. Otherwise, I prefer a soft top case for more capacity at a lower profile.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #754
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

The 28-liter hard top case for the R1200R has been specified by BMW for many R, K and F models over the years. The result is that used cases abound.

I only use mine when I predict the need to lock it. Otherwise, I prefer a soft top case for more capacity at a lower profile.

Fred
I got a CooCase for about $60. Not as nice as the BMW case, but for the money it cannot be beat. I think it fits the look of the bike well too. I leave it on all the time and love having the area for tools. a water bottle, etc. Also, I can put my helmet in it when I go inside.
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM   #755
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Valve Shim Question - R1200R (2011)

Doing 12,000 mile service. The valves are as follows (I rounded up slightly since the feeler gauge was a bit loose):

Exhaust (specs .30-.40)
.381 (didn't remove to check shim)
.381 (didn't remove to check shim)
.410 with a 5.275 shim, goal of about .35
.430 with a 5.275 shim, goal of about .35

Intake (specs .13-.23)
.205 with a 5.450 shim, goal of about .18
.178 (didn't remove to check shim)
.205 with a 5.425 shim, goal of about .18
.205 with a 5.475 shim, goal of about .18

I was expecting shims at .05 differences, but...

I would like to replace all the ones that I cited the shims to put them in the middle of specs.

Two questions. 1. do you agree with my goals? 2. does it look like I can use some of my shims and shift them around? I don't really know if the difference is a straight number - for example, if I want to decrease an exhaust from .407 to .35 (approximately .075 difference) I need to increase the size of the shim so can I replace the 5.275 shim with one of the others above? Looks like "no" because I'd need a 5.350 to get the .407 to .35.

Sound right? (oops, question 3)

??
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:20 PM   #756
Fudge
Adventurer
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Naperville, IL
Oddometer: 39
I used this spreadsheet to calculate the shims i needed. It helped clarify what you could reuse and what you needed to replace.

http://home.comcast.net/~gsansoucie/BMW_Camhead.xlsx

Fudge screwed with this post 06-13-2013 at 08:27 PM
Fudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #757
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer
 
Eric R. Shelton's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Fargo, ND :(
Oddometer: 59
Has anybody here done a Staintune exhaust on an R1200R? I'm not super huge on more power and generally think the bike has plenty (granted, I'll never complain about more). What I'm really looking for is a smaller exhaust can that will show off the rear wheel better. Staintune's chrome should go well with my Classic, and restrictor in/out claims to be quieter/louder (respectively) than stock but not by much. So...

Any owners? Reviews? YouTube videos my searching missed? Anyone doing this on a camhead?
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #758
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
I used this spreadsheet to calculate the shims i needed. It helped clarify what you could reuse and what you needed to replace.

http://home.comcast.net/~gsansoucie/BMW_Camhead.xlsx
That is helpful Fudge. I will fill that in before I call the dealer.

Is it your experience that if the measurement is out by .05 you simply get a shim .05 bigger (or smaller depending on where you are wanting to end up)?
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 AM   #759
David R
I been called a Nut Job..
 
David R's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: In Da Swamps of WNY
Oddometer: 2,419
Laugh You got it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
That is helpful Fudge. I will fill that in before I call the dealer.

Is it your experience that if the measurement is out by .05 you simply get a shim .05 bigger (or smaller depending on where you are wanting to end up)?
You got it!

Double check when you are done.

I checked my 12 R1200R at 6,000 miles. They were all right on. I have done many other bikes and cars with shims. Its the way to go.

Has anyone had loose rocker arms? (pivot arm)
Can they be adjusted?

Leaving for a 2,000 mile trip to nowhere this morning. It starts in Western NY. Detroit by tonight then ride around the state of MI for the next few days or so. Pic later.

Eric Shelton, I have heard a Staintune exhaust on a Boxer cup Replica. One sweet sounding exhaust and not loud.

David
__________________
2012 R1200R ! 2000 R1100RT (retired), 1976 R75/6, 11 Versys
There is a seat for everyone.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #760
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
You got it!

Double check when you are done.

I checked my 12 R1200R at 6,000 miles. They were all right on. I have done many other bikes and cars with shims. Its the way to go.

Has anyone had loose rocker arms? (pivot arm)
Can they be adjusted?

Leaving for a 2,000 mile trip to nowhere this morning. It starts in Western NY. Detroit by tonight then ride around the state of MI for the next few days or so. Pic later.

Eric Shelton, I have heard a Staintune exhaust on a Boxer cup Replica. One sweet sounding exhaust and not loud.

David
David R.:

You goin' through Canada or staying in the US? If you have the space and time both coasts of Michigan are nice riding. I especially like the Traverse City area, up through Charlevoix, and up past Harbor Springs (to the Tunnel of Trees).

I'll be up there in July (FL-MI-WI (via ferry)-MI (the UP)-CAN-NY (Syracuse area), and on home (via Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway)).
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #761
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
I used this spreadsheet to calculate the shims i needed. It helped clarify what you could reuse and what you needed to replace.

http://home.comcast.net/~gsansoucie/BMW_Camhead.xlsx
Fudge:

Now that I can input the numbers I see that you have formulas in there! AWESOME - thanks! (answers my earlier question)


EDIT - have any of you ordered these online and had them delivered to your home? If so, from where?

EDIT EDIT - just ordered two from Max BMW. Total with shipping is $24.55. Compare this with my local BMW shop at $21.40 for two. However, they would need to order them as well (same time as Max), but I would also have over an hour drive total and about $15 in gas alone going local. Not to mention again over an hour of my time on a Saturday.
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey

Weird Bug screwed with this post 06-14-2013 at 03:48 PM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #762
Fudge
Adventurer
 
Fudge's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Naperville, IL
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weird Bug View Post
Fudge:

Now that I can input the numbers I see that you have formulas in there! AWESOME - thanks! (answers my earlier question)
I'd love to take credit for that spreadsheet, but someone else created it. I just recognized it works very well for calculating what shim you need. I picked up shims at my local dealer, kind of surprised your dealer had to order shims since they are needed for regular maintenance.
Fudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #763
Weird Bug
Weird BUG
 
Weird Bug's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: West Central FLA
Oddometer: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge View Post
I'd love to take credit for that spreadsheet, but someone else created it. I just recognized it works very well for calculating what shim you need. I picked up shims at my local dealer, kind of surprised your dealer had to order shims since they are needed for regular maintenance.
The one that is 28 miles away had to order. The one that is 58 miles away had three (I need 2). I ordered from max bmw, but now I got an email saying they were out of stock and will need to order - adding 3-5 days. No biggie, as I could always put it back together to ride, but I am not going to do that. I can wait. I started the job early (before my big summer trip) just in case I needed to order these.
__________________
2011 R1200R Smoke Grey

Weird Bug screwed with this post 06-15-2013 at 04:42 PM
Weird Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #764
MarcJ
Adventurer
 
MarcJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Grimbergen (Belgium)
Oddometer: 69
Love this bike





MarcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #765
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcJ View Post
Love this bike
Nice! What bar end mirrors are those? Do they add any total width to the bars?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014