Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 01:36 PM   #841
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric R. Shelton View Post
Speaking of quotes...

Beautiful photos aside, Lost Rider, what wheels are those? I've got an '11 Classic and would love to go tubeless either by sealing up my laced wheels or just swapping for cast.
If you decide to seal up your spoked wheels please update with the details. Would you do it yourself or send them off?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #842
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
If you decide to seal up your spoked wheels please update with the details. Would you do it yourself or send them off?
If I wind up sealing them, my plan is to do it myself this winter while I can't ride anyway. Hopefully Alpina makes a kit conversion that would fit. Otherwise I'd just do what the guy in this forum thread did. Maybe both, just to be sure.

I love the Kineo tubeless spoked wheels on this bike, but my Google-fu says they're just too dang costly.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #843
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
If I wind up sealing them, my plan is to do it myself this winter while I can't ride anyway. Hopefully Alpina makes a kit conversion that would fit. Otherwise I'd just do what the guy in this forum thread did. Maybe both, just to be sure.

I love the Kineo tubeless spoked wheels on this bike, but my Google-fu says they're just too dang costly.
I researched Alpina kits six months or so ago and they didn't have anything. Outex makes a do-it-yourself sealing kit that folks here and elsewhere have had good results with - check out one rider's writeup over on the roadster boards. I'll likely use this myself one of these days - but I commute year round on my bike so who knows when that'll be.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #844
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Thank you, good sir! That looks like exactly what I need! And I hate living in Fargo (boring, flat, straight roads) and miss the year-round riding/commuting when I lived in Tucson and Las Vegas. Just send me your condolences when you're riding this winter!

Unrelated, I finally got my BMW System luggage rack in yesterday. I've already got the sidecase system, but was going to replace it with the one that's got the integrated rack for a top case. It wasn't too long before I hit a wall, because the Torx bolts are a strange size. They fall right between my T30 and T40. Googling the issue for T35 finds some people saying that size only comes in security torx sets, and one post even saying it's a Torx Plus 27. Ugh... Did anyone here install their own System rack and can you shed some light on the correct bit needed?
Old 07-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #845
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Thank you, good sir! That looks like exactly what I need! And I hate living in Fargo (boring, flat, straight roads) and miss the year-round riding/commuting when I lived in Tucson and Las Vegas. Just send me your condolences when you're riding this winter!

Unrelated, I finally got my BMW System luggage rack in yesterday. I've already got the sidecase system, but was going to replace it with the one that's got the integrated rack for a top case. It wasn't too long before I hit a wall, because the Torx bolts are a strange size. They fall right between my T30 and T40. Googling the issue for T35 finds some people saying that size only comes in security torx sets, and one post even saying it's a Torx Plus 27. Ugh... Did anyone here install their own System rack and can you shed some light on the correct bit needed?

Its a T35 and one should be in the tool kit that came with the bike. I did mine in the parking lot at the BMW dealer. They didn't like it.

The bolts are locktite.

T35 also comes in sets of L shaped wrenches available at your auto parts stores.

David
Old 07-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #846
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

My bike didn't come with a tool kit.
Thanks for the answer, though! I'll track one down and make it happen!
Old 07-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #847
Organic Mechanic
Awesome sauce taster

Oddometer: 105

Here is my mistress, wife named her already been elbow deep in to her and cant say I have had a single regret about trading my BMW e34 touring for her. Even with 118k she still runs like a new girl.

Hers what she looked like when I picked her up.

since then I upgraded to a GS paralever, did the brake bobbins, installed the Zeitronix wideband with disply

Pulled heads afer all 6 of the exhaust studs snapped and the on bike extraction went sideways...

and the tool to make magic with...

Organic Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #848
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Its a T35 and one should be in the tool kit that came with the bike. I did mine in the parking lot at the BMW dealer. They didn't like it.

The bolts are locktite.

T35 also comes in sets of L shaped wrenches available at your auto parts stores.

David
It wasn't T35, just plain ol' T30. The problem was something of a shallow socket in the bolts themselves that made it too easy for the wrench to swivel within it. That, combined with uncooperative lengths and a bolt that was actually bent in the threads made for very difficult extraction. But once I got the old system case mounts off it was a snap to put the new ones (complete with luggage rack) on.

Organic Mechanic, those are some great photos and a beautiful RS!
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #849
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,157
Quote:
Speaking of quotes...

Beautiful photos aside, Lost Rider, what wheels are those? I've got an '11 Classic and would love to go tubeless either by sealing up my laced wheels or just swapping for cast. Your wheels look good and still kinda fit with the classic motif- they're reminiscent of cast wheels on older R bikes. Point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Those are custom one off titanium wheels polished pure white with a ultra high speed diamond buffer.

OK, really they are OEM wheels powder coated white as stated.

After Baja I didn't get enough seat time now being able to ride again so I decided to head up the coast solo where it was nice and cool, ended up at the Canadian border then back down, camping in some great spots. Again, the trusty R was the perfect tool for the job!

As for Torx tools, I use these for everything, even taking the rear wheel off while out traveling to get fresh rubber, though I carry a small metal tube from a floor jack to get more leverage for the wheel. Other than that these tools fit everything on the bike, pack small, and are very durable. They can be found cheaper online in other places.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0421/

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 01:25 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #850
vicvegas
eager beaver

Oddometer: 189
Those are some awesome pictures Lost rider, and doing it all on that R12r, makes it all that much cooler nice bike dude!
vicvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #851
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
As of today, my wife has a 2011 Classic! She test rode the R1200R and the new liquid cooled R1200GS last night. The R1200R won. It came with all the luggage and only has 2400 miles. I picked it up for her this morning. I didn't get a chance to take many pics before she was off for a ride.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #852
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I'm brand new to BMWs and have a chance on a 94 early (black dash) RS bike. I've done a little researching and so far am wondering if I should get it...

43k miles, at a dealer so no contact with Priginal owner, has an ABS light which codes to a pump. The shop I talked to said used ones that check OK run about 1,000 and new ones are 2,400-2,800 if you can even find one. I heard about the guy up in the NW that rebuilds them with a 5 year warranty for a good price so not TOO worried about that, but wonder about other stuff like final drive, transmission, throttle cable and ??? I couldn't find much on opinions of the early serial number bikes, any opinions out there one way or another? Thanks,
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:29 PM   #853
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
I'm brand new to BMWs and have a chance on a 94 early (black dash) RS bike. I've done a little researching and so far am wondering if I should get it...

43k miles, at a dealer so no contact with Priginal owner, has an ABS light which codes to a pump. The shop I talked to said used ones that check OK run about 1,000 and new ones are 2,400-2,800 if you can even find one. I heard about the guy up in the NW that rebuilds them with a 5 year warranty for a good price so not TOO worried about that, but wonder about other stuff like final drive, transmission, throttle cable and ??? I couldn't find much on opinions of the early serial number bikes, any opinions out there one way or another? Thanks,
You can get a bunch of info about what COULD go wrong. If its nice, drives well, and the price is right, go for it. You may not want to fix the ABS. Its a personal thing. Whats the cost?

David
Old 07-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #854
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
You can get a bunch of info about what COULD go wrong. If its nice, drives well, and the price is right, go for it. You may not want to fix the ABS. Its a personal thing. Whats the cost?

David
I agree. I"m just trying to feel more comfortable about it and consider what I may be getting into down the road. I don't want to give away the price until I decide what I'm going to do. I'll let you know in a few days. I think it's a great deal based on what I see others going for on here and iBMWR
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #855
David R

Have you had a test drive? If you do, bring your checkbook.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta