User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #856
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Ha!

I DID ride it and didn't have title to my bike with me or we wouldn't be having this conversation! I rode a F800GT for about an hour just before riding the RS and I got to say I prefered the RS INSTANTLY over the 800GT.

I found some MOA threads where one lady is up to 345,000 miles on her 94 and several other people are over 100k. I"m up from 95% sure to 99.5% sure this is a done deal. Thanks for the assist

By the way, what is the difference between an RS and a RSL? Same bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Have you had a test drive? If you do, bring your checkbook.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk 4 Beta
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #857
zzrwood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt100 View Post
By the way, what is the difference between an RS and a RSL? Same bike?
I seem to recall RSL had full fairing while RS was only upper fairing... but I'm often wrong (as my wife tends to remind me).

I wish BMW would make an RS/ST using the existing camhead, but preferably without the blind designer from last time...
zzrwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #858
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
My first BMW was a 1999 R1100R-SE, the "Special Edition" Roadster with retro black tank with white dual stripes and a package of options including ABS, heated grips and system case racks. What I really liked was the tubeless wire-spoked wheels to complete the retro look in a modern way. I note that the new R1200R Classic is using tube-type rims, even though the tubeless rims are still being offered on the GS. I wonder why BMW made that decision?

Fred

ERRATA - They are not tube-type. They seem to be using the Alpina system, with o-rings at each spoke in the rim.

FredRydr screwed with this post 07-27-2013 at 09:16 AM Reason: observation error
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #859
Hair
Outside the boxer

Oddometer: 13,721
Last year I bought a 07 R1200R. It had 16000 miles on it. I ride the bike often and I am currently having two issues with it.

1, I hate the seat. It bends downward under my weight. The back pad pushes my butt forward. I would like to firm up the seat pan and maybe get an after market seat. I would like more room in the drivers seat area. And maybe a little higher too.
You guys have an recommendations?

The other is more serous. The bike had a small periodic miss when I bought it. But now there are times when the bike totally cuts out under full throttle. And it will miss when It is warming up at idol. This is my third 1200 series boxer. This one runs much worse than the others ever did. I am trying to figure out if it's an electrical (the electronics or a coil) problem or if it is a fuel problem.
Any ideas and maybe even suggestions on what to check for?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #860
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair View Post
Last year I bought a 07 R1200R. It had 16000 miles on it. I ride the bike often and I am currently having two issues with it.

1, I hate the seat....
I had a Russel and a Corbin on this bike but the Sargent is my favorite.

Wish I could address the cut out. May have to be a dealer thing...
You may want to pull the tank and check for loose wires or see if someone installed a fuel nanny or other badly.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #861
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:

1, I hate the seat. It bends downward under my weight. The back pad pushes my butt forward. I would like to firm up the seat pan and maybe get an after market seat. I would like more room in the drivers seat area. And maybe a little higher too.

The other is more serous. The bike had a small periodic miss when I bought it. But now there are times when the bike totally cuts out under full throttle. And it will miss when It is warming up at idol. This is my third 1200 series boxer. This one runs much worse than the others ever did. I am trying to figure out if it's an electrical (the electronics or a coil) problem or if it is a fuel problem.
I had a problem like that, and it was a bitch to find (ie $) 'cause it tested ok on the bench, and would only act up when the bike got warmed up.

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #862
Hair
Outside the boxer

Thanks guys for the seat info and the mechanical issues.
I've had Sargent seats in the past I like them alot. I need to save my pennies and get one for this bike. The OEM one is not going it.
Old 07-22-2013, 04:38 PM   #863
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
Quote:

I know of one case that sounded like yours and the owner removed the stepper motors and lubricated the shafts. Pretty easy and simple to do.
celticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #864
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,420
Quote:

The HES could have deteriorating wires. Miss under full load is a possibility. Stepper motors would not effect full throttle at all. You are losing spark or fuel, probably spark. Also the wires in the steering head could be almost cut from a too tight Zip tie put on by BMW.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #865
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:

Could be a stick coil.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #866
Hair
Outside the boxer

We have been having rain around here. Because of that it's been cooler. I've noticed that it not missing as much as it use to. And it is pulling well under full load.

I will check the wires and lube the motor shafts. All good things to do anyway.

Oh and I am also enjoying a new to me R100RS. It's my Speed racer.

It accelerates like a box of rocks. But I have wanted one for years. Now that I have it I'm glad that I bought it.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #867
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljr View Post
Could be a stick coil.
Reading this caused me to reread my post, and the dummy who typed it (me), neglected to mention that the problem was a stick coil.
dum da dum dum-dumb

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #868
Fastdog
n00b

Oddometer: 6
R1200R Cutting Out

I had the exact same problem on my Yamaha outboard motor on my boat. At idle or anything less than 3,500 RPMs, the engine ran fine. However, when you applied full throttle, the thing died. It turn out to be the spark plugs. Not to say that this is what is wrong with your bike, but the symptom is suspiciously the same.

Bill
Fastdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #869
tt100
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
We have been having rain around here. Because of that it's been cooler. I've noticed that it not missing as much as it use to. And it is pulling well under full load.

I will check the wires and lube the motor shafts. All good things to do anyway.

Oh and I am also enjoying a new to me R100RS. It's my Speed racer.

It accelerates like a box of rocks. But I have wanted one for years. Now that I have it I'm glad that I bought it.
So am i! Got it this afternoon. Rode 80 miles down through Amish country on newly paved roads and ended up at Weasel Boy Brewing for a great pizza and a growler of brown Stoat Stout

Ireally like it so far. It's my first BMW. I've heard the 1100RS was slow but found myself in 4th more than top gear. I'm very happy so far, though I am already ready for some bar backs!
tt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #870
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,685
anyone care to post pics of a Bags Connection City tank bag on a R1200R? I would certainly appreciate it

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote