Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #871
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Picking up a 2002 R1150R tomorrow afternoon. I bought it without a test-ride. I hope this goes well...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #872
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Picking up a 2002 R1150R tomorrow afternoon. I bought it without a test-ride. I hope this goes well...
I bought my 2012 with out a test drive. I thought I knew what I was getting. I got more than I thought. I have had it 10 months. Just changed the oil again. 18,026 miles.

Enjoy it!

David
Old 07-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #873
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I bought my 2012 with out a test drive. I thought I knew what I was getting. I got more than I thought. I have had it 10 months. Just changed the oil again. 18,026 miles.

Enjoy it!

David
+1. U da man!

Regards, Paul
Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 PM   #874
showerfan
i shower with my duc

Oddometer: 14
Thumb two Q's from an admirer

i have always loved the look of these bikes and i love the boxer engines, at least in theory.

although i mostly ride ducatis -- always had monsters, want a multi, just totaled a panigale :( -- i've spent a lot of time in the saddle of bimmers as well. i tracked an s1000rr last summer and in the fall i did an alps trip on a GS, then back to austria in the spring on a k1300s

my question to the r1200r (i want mine in blue, please!): is it underpowered? i don't pay much heed to horsepower figures -- i've only got 77 hp in my m900 and it's plenty quick enough for me -- but the GS just felt like a jeep wrangler on the highway, and the k1300 felt like a racing truck. what about the roadster?

also, what's with the cans? for a company that makes such sweet looking bikes, and one that has probably the most storied reputation, it seems like BMW is trying to make the ugliest, cheapest looking exhaust pipes of any manufacturer. does everyone just factor in an akrapovic (and sargent seat) to the cost?
showerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #875
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419

showerfan, the newest R is 110 HP. 494 lbs wet. Lots of low end torque. I never rode a ducati. Last time I "Drag raced" a 600 sport bike my front wheel went off the ground twice in first gear. Both times the traction control set it back down. I had it lift the front wheel once in third when I was being really stupid. The torque curve is pretty flat. I think they got the fuel sorted out pretty good, there is always black on the tip of my big can.

For handling, it rides like a BMW boxer. This goes back to my 1976 R75/6 my first boxer. I still have it and love it. Want to do a U turn? Pick up your feet, put em on the pegs and slowly turn. Right foot on the rear brake. It just does it. It corners with the best of them.

How did you like the telalever?

An S1000RR is cheaper off the show room floor if you want crazy HP. I got 137,000 miles out of my last boxer, I hope to get the same out of this one.

Do what you want. If you are looking for a track bike, buy the S1000RR.

David

David R screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 04:50 AM
David R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:31 AM   #876
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
anyone care to post pics of a Bags Connection City tank bag on a R1200R? I would certainly appreciate it
Hey BigEasy ... I have the Engage bag, checked the other forum and couldn't find any pics of the city through I have heard some good things about it. Here are some pics of the Engage for scale. It looks like the City is roughly the same dimensions, just taller (7.9" vs the Engage at 5"). I didn't want the height so I went with the Engage. Raincover works great - and I also have the add-on map-case which I use on trips.

Tank ring:

Side view:

Top view:

With case:

The ring attach point is as far forward as it will go, so it doesn't match the tank profile perfectly, but on the bike it works well.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #877
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Hey BigEasy ... I have the Engage bag, checked the other forum and couldn't find any pics of the city through I have heard some good things about it. Here are some pics of the Engage for scale....
I have the Engage on an '04 R1150RT. (Not the same thing, I realize). Nice bag; the only issue I had was that the wider part of the bag hit the horn button at full steering lock. A bit embarrassing in parking lots which is where you'd usually do it. Easily solved with a small guard over the horn button. The profile of the bag fits the tank quite well.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #878
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post
also, what's with the cans? for a company that makes such sweet looking bikes, and one that has probably the most storied reputation, it seems like BMW is trying to make the ugliest, cheapest looking exhaust pipes of any manufacturer. does everyone just factor in an akrapovic (and sargent seat) to the cost?
No, because i LOVE that fat shiny can. :) also love the sound.
Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #879
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
F650GS twin to 12R

I love my GS, but i really don't take it off road so I've been thinking about a 12R. Its a great bike around town, very light and flickable, but on the highway, the parallel twin gets a bit "buzzy" above 75.

Has anybody made the move from a parallel twin GS to the 12R?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #880
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Hey BigEasy ... I have the Engage bag, checked the other forum and couldn't find any pics of the city through I have heard some good things about it. Here are some pics of the Engage for scale. It looks like the City is roughly the same dimensions, just taller (7.9" vs the Engage at 5"). I didn't want the height so I went with the Engage. Raincover works great - and I also have the add-on map-case which I use on trips.

With case:

The ring attach point is as far forward as it will go, so it doesn't match the tank profile perfectly, but on the bike it works well.
Thanks very much for taking the time to post up. I did see your bike on he other board and that started me down the BC path. Is there room in the Engage for a DSLR? In this pic it almost looks like the bag is contacting the paint, is that just the way the pic looks or does the bag rub on the tank? And, Thanks again

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #881
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Is there room in the Engage for a DSLR?
Just, but it leaves little room for anything else, and it's awkward. I have a Nikon D300s and it's awkward to fit in and leaves room for little else (with 16-85 lens attached). The depth is deceiving since there's a channel on the bottom to hold the tank ring. The body fits in across the wide part of the bag.

Edit: looks like my version of the Engage is a generation older than the one in the pics, although the general shape is the same, and I assume the size is as well.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #882
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 704
I don;t have a DSLR ... but as sturgeon points out it will, but leaving little room for anything else. The false depth due to the recessed channel underneath for the ring attachment does take up a chunk of space. I only keep basic odds and ends in mine. The 2 zipper pockets on the sides are marginally useless. I keep the rainfly on the right and usually a pocket-knife and earplugs in the left.

Oh - and it does not touch the tank. The release cord in the front of the pack could hit if you don;t keep it tight, but it shouldn't matter. After 10k miles with this bag I have no noticeable marks

heres an interior - the bottom comes up appx 1", then another 3.5" to the top. The "nose" (what I call the part facing the seat) is appx iPhone length

Oh ... and the opening is big enough for a six pack or a growler. My brother moved into his new house today so I brought him a gift this morning
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #883
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 399
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by showerfan View Post

my question to the r1200r (i want mine in blue, please!): is it underpowered? i don't pay much heed to horsepower figures -- i've only got 77 hp in my m900 and it's plenty quick enough for me -- but the GS just felt like a jeep wrangler on the highway, and the k1300 felt like a racing truck. what about the roadster?
I think that my 2011 R1200R has more power than my 2006 Ducati ST3s (dyno at 105 hp). The ST3s was awesome at 100+ mph and the R1200R is awesome below 70 mph. I'll take the BMW though. Plus I can do the valves myself - couldn't on the Duc.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #884
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,669
Thanks again guys!

I don't have a full frame DSLR mines a 2/3's I believe it's called a D3000 so it'll fit a little better than theD300.

I think there may be one of these in my future, again, Thanks

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #885
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks again guys!

I don't have a full frame DSLR mines a 2/3's I believe it's called a D3000 so it'll fit a little better than theD300.

I think there may be one of these in my future, again, Thanks
I hate to tell ya, but the D300 isn't full-frame either ghead:

Dyslexics untie!