Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #886
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselpwr View Post
Has anybody made the move from a parallel twin GS to the 12R?
Sorta. I have both an '07 R1200R that has been an excellent and reliable ride, and an '09 F800GS that is the most fun ride I've had. I have no problem with the F800 for highway riding, but the R1200R is better for that - except the R really needs handlebar risers, one of these days.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #887
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
Last time I "Drag raced" a 600 sport bike my front wheel went off the ground twice in first gear. Both times the traction control set it back down. I had it lift the front wheel once in third when I was being really stupid.
I used to wheelie my Multistrada 620 from time to time, but I've never had the front wheel up on my cam head. I've even turned off the ASC to try, if somewhat sheepishly. Am I just the biggest ninny there is on this thing?
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #888
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,319
I have a Versys that I intentionally lift the front wheel in first. On the R I am glad for the ASC . No you are not a ninny, I am stupid. I have never turned off the ASC. Sometimes it surprises me then the ASC saves my azz . This bike is too big and too expen$ive to screw around like that.
David

From the phone in my shoe
Maxwell Smart Agent 86
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #889
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
When you accellerate really hard, the front wheel comes up in first, second and third. Just a little bit, but it does.

But i am not brave enough to try a real wheelie in first.
Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #890
David R

Just whack the throttle at three grand. Tell me what happens.

Maxwell Smart Agent 86
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #891
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 208
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Picking up a 2002 R1150R tomorrow afternoon. I bought it without a test-ride. I hope this goes well...
So after two days of riding on the R, I like it, but it's going to require some getting used to. Someone in this thread suggested it was like driving a Jeep -- I agree with that one. It's like a two-wheeled truck. A really powerful two-wheeled truck. It requires stronger steering inputs than I'm used to, and isn't as nimble as the F650GS, but it is great on the highway. It's also incredibly stable at low speeds -- even making the mini-GS feel tippy. I think I'm going to hang on to this one...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #892
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:

Maxwell Smart Agent 86
I crash? ;)
Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #893
pauljr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Who is the case and backrest from?
Quote:

showerfan, the newest R is 110 HP. 494 lbs wet. Lots of low end torque. I never rode a ducati. Last time I "Drag raced" a 600 sport bike my front wheel went off the ground twice in first gear. Both times the traction control set it back down. I had it lift the front wheel once in third when I was being really stupid. The torque curve is pretty flat. I think they got the fuel sorted out pretty good, there is always black on the tip of my big can.

For handling, it rides like a BMW boxer. This goes back to my 1976 R75/6 my first boxer. I still have it and love it. Want to do a U turn? Pick up your feet, put em on the pegs and slowly turn. Right foot on the rear brake. It just does it. It corners with the best of them.

How did you like the telalever?

An S1000RR is cheaper off the show room floor if you want crazy HP. I got 137,000 miles out of my last boxer, I hope to get the same out of this one.

Do what you want. If you are looking for a track bike, buy the S1000RR.

David

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #894
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,058
Quote:

This?

And this is what happens if you just keep leaning too...

Seriously though, the R will wheelie in 1st through 3rd no problem, 2nd being my favorite gear to do it in with a bounce of the throttle, no clutch, but I don't have any fancy ASC to keep my from having fun and learning how to improve my throttle control.

Took another quick ride up to the Redwoods from SoCal, this time with my partner, the friggin' tree hugger!
Hit 90,000 miles on this trip, the trusty 1200R is still going strong, though in the last 6K miles it did use a 1/2 quart of oil, something kind of new.

I did forget what bike I was on when attempting to ride on the Lost Coast in search of a campspot, Pilot Power tires aren't the best for deep sand I guess, good thing Nancy was there to help push me out.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #895
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
So after two days of riding on the R, I like it, but it's going to require some getting used to. Someone in this thread suggested it was like driving a Jeep -- I agree with that one. It's like a two-wheeled truck. A really powerful two-wheeled truck. It requires stronger steering inputs than I'm used to, and isn't as nimble as the F650GS, but it is great on the highway. It's also incredibly stable at low speeds -- even making the mini-GS feel tippy. I think I'm going to hang on to this one...

It should be very nimble, we have a 650GS also and the R hands down handles better in all situations, on pavement at least.

Assuming the tires are fresh and properly inflated, if the steering is heavy you need to adjust your suspension, start with the preload then worry about other settings. It should just fall into corners without even thinking about it and hold it there till you exit.

What year and how many miles on it?
how heavy are you with gear?

Here's a good place to start with getting your bike setup:

http://www.eilenberger.net/Suspension/suspension.htm

Good luck!

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 01:53 PM
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #896
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
It should be very nimble, we have a 650GS also and the R hands down handles better in all situations, on pavement at least.

Assuming the tires are fresh and properly inflated, if the steering is heavy you need to adjust your suspension, start with the preload then worry about other settings. It should just fall into corners without even thinking about it and hold it there till you exit.

What year and how many miles on it?
how heavy are you with gear?

Here's a good place to start with getting your bike setup:

http://www.eilenberger.net/Suspension/suspension.htm

Good luck!
Hmmm -- it definitely takes a PUSH to get it to lean -- doesn't feel nearly as quick as the mini-GS. It's a 2002 R1150R with ABS and about 18,500 miles. Both tires were a little low (like 3psi below recommended) and I haven't touched suspension settings yet. With gear I'm maybe 165lbs, plus the BMW side cases and a Givi top case.

Thanks for the suspension link!

abnslr screwed with this post 07-29-2013 at 02:08 PM Reason: Edited to correct mileage.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #897
Lost Rider
Roadie

Right on, well the 1150R is a bit heavier, I had an 05' and it wasn't quite as nimble as the 12R, but still it shouldn't need a big push to get it to lean into a turn and handled well.
At 165 and then with the bags you're right about at the "normal" BMW rider weight, assuming they are original stock shocks with stock springs. Check your sag with the preload all the way out and check any other settings your shocks have.
By all means play with the settings until you find what feels best following Don's writeup I posted the best you can.

With only 8500 miles the shocks *should* still be OK. Does the tires have any flat spot in the center? I know when mine get worn the steering can feel heavier and unstable in corners. It's amazing how fresh rubber can bring a bike back to life when it comes to handling.

Good luck and welcome to the BMW R club!

LostRider.com
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #898
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Right on, well the 1150R is a bit heavier, I had an 05' and it wasn't quite as nimble as the 12R, but still it shouldn't need a big push to get it to lean into a turn and handled well.
At 165 and then with the bags you're right about at the "normal" BMW rider weight, assuming they are original stock shocks with stock springs. Check your sag with the preload all the way out and check any other settings your shocks have.
By all means play with the settings until you find what feels best following Don's writeup I posted the best you can.

With only 8500 miles the shocks *should* still be OK. Does the tires have any flat spot in the center? I know when mine get worn the steering can feel heavier and unstable in corners. It's amazing how fresh rubber can bring a bike back to life when it comes to handling.

Good luck and welcome to the BMW R club!
Thanks! I'll do a bit of poking around and see what I can figure out. The tires still have good tread, but aren't new, or even close. I'll start with the preload, though...
Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM   #899
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljr View Post
Who is the case and backrest from?
I made it my self. I am a welder. The case is a pelican type. The back rest pad I bought for $5.00. I then made the mount for it, including holding it behind the girlfriend to see where she wanted it.

I only bolted the case to the back rack.

I don't like the big top case back there. My last bike was an RT and I missed the glove box. Later i added a cigarette lighter so I could charge my phone or kindle fire HD or.....

There was really no back rest available with out the top box. That pelican type case was on another bike before this one. Its car wash proof.

1/8" X 2 aluminum, 1/4 X 1" aluminum, some holes and stainless countersunk screws (bolts?)

Thank you lost Rider, I was thinking the poster did not believe me the bike would lift the front wheel.

The camhead R is a little lighter, a little lower and a little more powerful than the 1150. Its a little more RRrrrrrr!

Love this freekin bike!
Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #900
Jedi Apprentice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Where is Don's write up? I have had my rockster for about a month and would like to get the suspension tuned in properly for my weight.

Philadelphia, PA
Jedi Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote