Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #916
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,387
abnslr, motor takes motor oil. Clutch reservoir I do not know if your year is mineral oil or brake fluid. Check owners manual or read the cover of the clutch master cylinder.

Yes its a dry clutch.

David
Old 08-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #917
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post
I'm not 100% but I believe it's Not engine oil but DOT4 brake fluid.
You can be 100% sure it's brake fluid without losing any bets.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #918
RonkoRider
Wrong Island, NY

Oddometer: 1,454
WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!

I'm a paper pusher by trade so I still get excited when I get something motorcycle mechanical correct.

I'm one of those a**holes who know a little about a lot but a lot about nuttin'.
RonkoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #919
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
Now I just need to work on the little stuff like the cosmetic corrosion on the handlebars and headlamp housing, and finding a place to mount the telepass when I take the windshield off...

Oh -- one more question. My understanding is that this bike has a dry clutch, so in extremis I can top off the oil with a lower viscosity auto motor oil without worrying about the friction modifiers -- just don't want to do it too often... Is that correct?
I think the guy was asking about motor oil to begin with.

David
Old 08-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #920
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I think the guy was asking about motor oil to begin with.

David
Thanks all. Yes, I was asking about the motor oil. In the end I decided to take the chance of going a few miles low on oil and rode to the shop for a quart of 20W50 -- problem solved.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #921
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Be careful in first gear you can loop the bike (BTDT), but second at about 3500 with a bounce crack of the throttle and up she goes with more forgiveness than first. In between looping it and slamming the front wheel down there's a fun sweet spot on the 12R for some hooligan shenanigans.

How out of BMW character, but being able to loft the front end over road hazards at will makes for a safer ride... that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
HOLY COW!!!

So, yeah, I was really really wrong about the front wheel not coming up off the ground! On the ride home from work last Friday the road was pretty empty, so I gave the throttle a sharp stab at 3k in 1st gear and the front lofted so quickly I thought I was going to poop myself in terror! I couldn't do it in 2nd gear, but I was less willing since I was on public roads and there was some traffic at that point.

The only way I could get my Multistrada 620 to wheelie was revving the engine and dumping the clutch- but I've been a little scared of doing that on the R12R due to the shaft drive. Having said that, every time I push this bike a little more and pretend like it's not bigger and heavier than the Duc, it surprises me and responds to my aggressive requests. I really may be falling in love with this cam head...
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #922
CheesyRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Trophy Fairing rubs tank

Does anyone here with a Trophy fairing have a problem with it contacting the tank with the steering at full lock?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #923
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
Does anyone here with a Trophy fairing have a problem with it contacting the tank with the steering at full lock?

No such issue with the Trophy on my 2011. Perhaps a bit of adjustment to the mounting will correct that situation.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #924
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
2 questions regarding my 2013 R1200R

1) Anybody trying to power multiple devices off the powerlet socket under the seat? I want to use a powerlet plug adapter that splits into a pair of standard cigarette sockets. My gps (Garnin Nuvi 2xx) will plug into one of the sockets. The other socket will have a dual USB port into which I will plug a smart phone and my Cardo bluetooth unit (for re-charging). The owner's manual says that the powerlet socket is rated at 5 amps, and I am guessing that each of the three devices requires about 1 amp, so it should be enough.

2) Any creative ways to add an additional powlet socket near the handle bar?
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #925
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,999
You can by Powerlet accessories that are easily bolt on anywhere on the bike.
That said, I don't have alot of faith in the connections when it comes to USB adapters and GPS mini-USB kind of kit.
The Powerlet holds up well for things like your heated clothing and such.
Your better off hard-wiring accessories that need a good connection, even if you don't use a Fuzebox or other and do the direct to the battery with a fuse route.
On the R the access to the battery and routing wires is super easy peasy.
I have a Fuzebox under the seat mounted to the fender, plenty of room to hook everything up, and very sano.
Just My2Sense...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #926
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
You can by Powerlet accessories that are easily bolt on anywhere on the bike.
That said, I don't have alot of faith in the connections when it comes to USB adapters and GPS mini-USB kind of kit.
The Powerlet holds up well for things like your heated clothing and such.
Your better off hard-wiring accessories that need a good connection, even if you don't use a Fuzebox or other and do the direct to the battery with a fuse route.
On the R the access to the battery and routing wires is super easy peasy.
I have a Fuzebox under the seat mounted to the fender, plenty of room to hook everything up, and very sano.
Just My2Sense...
One of the problems I have is that I use the bike to commute and park in a public garage in downtown Chicago, whcih means I need to pack up all the electronics everytime I park. I also want to be able to charge my phone and Cardo on the fly if I riding in IBA type rallies. I'm trying to figure out a way that I can stick all the connections in a tank bag and have only one power cord to disconnect. In any event, I will probably hard wire everything in once I sort out what electronics I need for rallies.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #927
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,999
This might help you sort things out.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...ification-kits

http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-prod...ectrix/LUGTRIX

http://www.rka-luggage.com/A02%20Tan...d%20Sheet.html

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #928
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Thanks! I actually have an RKA tank bag, but had no idea that they sell electrified versions with mounts for GPS, Spot, etc. I have much to investigate.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #929
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
2 questions regarding my 2013 R1200R

1) Anybody trying to power multiple devices off the powerlet socket under the seat? I want to use a powerlet plug adapter that splits into a pair of standard cigarette sockets. My gps (Garnin Nuvi 2xx) will plug into one of the sockets. The other socket will have a dual USB port into which I will plug a smart phone and my Cardo bluetooth unit (for re-charging). The owner's manual says that the powerlet socket is rated at 5 amps, and I am guessing that each of the three devices requires about 1 amp, so it should be enough.

2) Any creative ways to add an additional powlet socket near the handle bar?
I have a SAE connector from the battery to to a tank bag from under the tank and up at the triple trees. In the tank bag is a powerlet connector from SAE to two cig lighter connectors. One of those cig connectors powers my GPS the other a dual port USB connector to charge my phone and iPad. When I park I simple place the GPS in the tank bag, grab the bag and go, all electronics go with me.

All my bikes are wired this way, I just swap the tank bag to my bike of choice. The SAE connector is also used to keep the bike battery charge as needed.

After experimenting with several options this one works best for me. I also have a direct wire to a for a heated jacket liner on each bike. The connector is tucked under the seat at the left front leading edge of the seat and be ticket out of site when not in use.

Regards, Paul
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #930
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
My bike lost a bunch of unnecessary weight yesterday..

You can read about why it's ok here
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15335

live2offroad screwed with this post 08-09-2013 at 08:32 AM
live2offroad is offline   Reply With Quote