Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #1006
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I prefer the original little screen than any. It comes off very easy, too. And it's much quieter than tall screens. Only winter forces me to go tall when I install the OEM touring bracket fitted with an 18-inch Cee Bailey. Each time, two bolts and the swap is done! But only until the relative warmth of March returns.

Fred
This is only on the older bikes. It's more of a pain to swap the brackets on the camhead bikes.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #1007
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
This is only on the older bikes. It's more of a pain to swap the brackets on the camhead bikes.
Indeed. You even have to remove the headlight!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #1008
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I hope you find Windshield Nirvana.
Based on the sheer quantity of posting and re-posting on the subject, finding Windshield Nirvana is as likely as discovering true Oil Shangri La.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #1009
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,419
Everyone has different wants and needs. I waned this one. I tried one other, but this is it for me!

When looking at photos of windshields, I am careful to see how high it is compared to the mirrors.

Not for everyone, but I get true peace behind this one and no ear pugs.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #1010
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
That is a nice fairing/shield, David, admire that.

I thought I would make a step closer to windshield Nirvana by ordering the Super Tour shield from Parabellum, and I may yet. I have it on, it seems pretty firm, some small adjustments to the headlight...BUT...

When I read the instructions from Parabellum on installation, one of their statements was "remove the gray side skirts that go over the turn signal stalks". Then they went on to other instructions. I did so, but imagine my annoyance when I finally got the headlight frame pieces mounted and realized they hadn't just forgotten to put in "position skirts back in place"...the skirts will no longer fit in their original length!

This was not stated anywhere on the website, my first hint was when I read the instructions in the box. Dangit! It looks butt-ugly with those skirts off, so apparently my only options are...

1) take them off permanently, which is a pain in itself, too.
2) dremel off a good portion of the front of the skirt that covered the headlight bolt so the tips can fit into the rubber grommets.
3) dremel out more of the side of the middle hole where the stalks go through so the tips can fit into the rubber grommets.

Anyone else run into this roadblock?
Old 09-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #1011
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,226
Quote:
...1. Stock flyscreen - came on the bike, didn't do much but add noise.
2. CB sport screen - no bueno for me. See above.
3. No screen - pretty decent but tiring at high speed for long periods. Still a fair amount of turbulence from the front of the bike. Really quiet when standing on the pegs, though.
4. Bigass Cee Bailey - I think this was a 25", picked it up used from another roadster rider, thinking it might be interesting in the winter. Too much unwanted steering input from the screen in high winds for my liking, and I didn't like that much screen anyway.
5. BMW touring screen - this seemed ok for a while but still had a lot of rumbling at high speed.
6. Cee Bailey 19" (current gen) - this is really close to the right screen for me. Feels nice and mellow but gives me a little turbulence at about eyebrow level at higher speeds. Thinking of seeing it tilting it back a bit helps, or maybe just try the next size up - this size is for shorter dudes, according to the CB site.
Hint: Nothing works. The air blows up from the two tank tunnels and causes all the problems you're trying to eliminate. You have to either cover up the tank tunnels or ride the bike naked. I tried *everything*. The only thing that worked was a Parabellum Scout, with the mounting setup heavily customized to move it higher and closer. It was perfect, but not everybody's cup of tea. Sorta alters the basic concept of the bike.

But I could ride at 90mph with my face shield open, and still look 2" over the top of the screen. It was "RT-quiet" at the head, but with plenty of wind on legs and arms.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #1012
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Here's a dumb question:
Should I put a fuse between the custom bmw gps jack and the garmin unit? Or is that not needed because of the canbus? (The bmw custom jack is connected to the canbus).

I want to do this:
(battery)--->(bmw custom jack)(bmw repair plug #PN is 83300413585)--->garmin wire

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #1013
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Should I put a fuse between the custom bmw gps jack and the garmin unit?
No. You may cut away the superfluous Garmin fuse.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #1014
David R

Parabellum touring shield.

I like the scout better. My last bike was an RT.
This is for sale. Fits 10 and up. Mounts in minutes.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #1015
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
David, did the 1200R have the plastic skirts that went over the turn signal stalks or anything like that? I see they are positioned differently from mine.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1016
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Indeed. You even have to remove the headlight!
Hah! It's not removing the headlight, it's getting the position right after putting it back. This is something I like to set and leave, especially since I ride in the dark almost every day and the R's headlight doesn't exactly flood the environment with light.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #1017
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Hint: Nothing works. The air blows up from the two tank tunnels and causes all the problems you're trying to eliminate. You have to either cover up the tank tunnels or ride the bike naked. I tried *everything*. The only thing that worked was a Parabellum Scout, with the mounting setup heavily customized to move it higher and closer. It was perfect, but not everybody's cup of tea. Sorta alters the basic concept of the bike.

But I could ride at 90mph with my face shield open, and still look 2" over the top of the screen. It was "RT-quiet" at the head, but with plenty of wind on legs and arms.
Thanks. I've definitely thought of the Parabellum. It's just so damn expensive and although I've heard really good things, still a pretty big bet (although a rider a couple hours from me offered to let me check his out). It's one thing to go through relatively cheap used (and occasionally new) screens pretty quickly, but my wife will MURDER me if I but an $800 fairing and a few days later it's hanging in the garage because it's not any better.

I realized pretty quickly when I rode the bike naked that there was a lot of turbulence from the tank tunnels. The CalSci screen has some coverage down there, and some vents to equalize. I put that one on last night and will see how it is for a few days.

My goal has actually never been to make it super quiet, but just to smooth out the turbulence. I want a screen to protect my GPS and whatnot, but most of them (as you've seen) are terrible. My other requirement is embarrassingly aesthetic - I run handguards since I ride/commute year round, and I think the bike looks weird with the handguards but no screen.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #1018
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Quote:
Thanks. I've definitely thought of the Parabellum. It's just so damn expensive and although I've heard really good things, still a pretty big bet (although a rider a couple hours from me offered to let me check his out).
The guy that bought my bike lives in Walnut Creek. PM me and I can put you in touch with him so you could check out the screen.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #1019
David R

Quote:
Hah! It's not removing the headlight, it's getting the position right after putting it back. This is something I like to set and leave, especially since I ride in the dark almost every day and the R's headlight doesn't exactly flood the environment with light.
You could do like I did and buy a cheap screen first THEN buy the right one. I had the parabellum scout in mind when I purchased the bike. Color match is perfect.

For the headlight, I did this.

I did nothing to my signal lights on my bike to install either shield.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #1020
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

For Scout owners, here is a pic showing how I mounted my Scout closer to the rider, and slightly more raked (topline a little lower). It did wonders for the smoothness of the airflow. Even the low sport screen provided very smooth air, and the tall touring screen was open-face-shield-quiet.

Contrast this with the pic of the fairing from the Parabellum website. Mine is at least an inch closer and a little lower, and required a slight modification of the dash.

I did this by way of a bracket used to move the mounting point at the headlight back and down.