Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #1021
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
I am going to the dealership to start a warranty claim over the rust under the filler cap.
There's white flaky corrosion around the bolts and some rust developing beneath the orange filler cap.

I was wondering if someone knows what this white stuff is in the photo below. Is it some type of epoxy? There's a small amount of rust developing around the sides and bolt holes.

Thanks for the help.

thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #1022
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Hint: Nothing works. The air blows up from the two tank tunnels and causes all the problems you're trying to eliminate. You have to either cover up the tank tunnels or ride the bike naked.
This about sums it up. I use in ear ear phones and listen to audiobooks.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #1023
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
The guy that bought my bike lives in Walnut Creek. PM me and I can put you in touch with him so you could check out the screen.
PM inbound shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
You could do like I did and buy a cheap screen first THEN buy the right one. I had the parabellum scout in mind when I purchased the bike. Color match is perfect.

For the headlight, I did this.
I did nothing to my signal lights on my bike to install either shield.
Interesting tactic on your headlight—thanks for the tip. I've already bought tons of cheap screens, but I'm not sure I want a bigass fairing on my R, never mind the cost. Thinking about it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
I am going to the dealership to start a warranty claim over the rust under the filler cap.
There's white flaky corrosion around the bolts and some rust developing beneath the orange filler cap.

I was wondering if someone knows what this white stuff is in the photo below. Is it some type of epoxy? There's a small amount of rust developing around the sides and bolt holes.

Thanks for the help.
There's tons of info on this over on R1150.org. Search for ABDECKRING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticus View Post
This about sums it up. I use in ear ear phones and listen to audiobooks.
I use earplugs and an SMH10. But the turbulence and rumbling is annoying outside of the noise, too.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #1024
live2offroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
I use earplugs and an SMH10. But the turbulence and rumbling is annoying outside of the noise, too.

See your problem is that you have 50 more CC's than is sensible and no stylish beak to cut the wind..
live2offroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #1025
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 394
Talking about shields, I finished the Super Tour shield install on my R1150R. It was a pain to get those little washers and nylock bolts onto the tiny screws for the low mount positions, lol, but I was victorious.

Earlier I said I was annoyed about discovering I had to either take off the gray skirts that live on the signal stalks and cover up the junk under the dashpod and the headlight bolts, or bob the fronts...well I spoke to someone at Parabellum and they said they had never had any complaints about that ...but I didn't want to leave them off either, so I took a Dremel and cut out a piece of the front, roughly following the original line. The first one worked after a couple of tries, although the Dremel was a bad idea, at least at level 16, lol...plastic started melting and it got some rough areas around the cut. I got them sanded off and dabbed some gray paint on the first one, doesn't look too bad. The 2nd one went more easily...I slowed down the rpms and it cut better. Now both fasten into the rubber grommets without issue, and if I can find some small black moulding that will fit around the leading each it may even look unnoticeable.

Just FYI, in case someone tries this. I will ride the bike tomorrow to see how it performs. Definitely taller than my CeeBailey that was on there, and it goes lower, as well as gaskets around the headlight. We shall see.

The Scout looks like a nicer install, but at twice the price? I dunno, if this gets turbulence off my helmet and get some more mpgs I will be ecstatic.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #1026
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,389
I do get better MPG

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
Old 09-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #1027
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2offroad View Post
See your problem is that you have 50 more CC's than is sensible and no stylish beak to cut the wind..
LOL. Mhm.

As for shields, I've been going back and forth between a CalSci medium and a Cee Bailey first gen that is I think 20", after riding for a few weeks with a Cee Bailey current gen 19" screen. As I mentioned earlier, the 19" was pretty good so I thought these slightly taller screens might be just the thing.

The CalSci is confusing. It's ugly as hell—the finish of the cuts and edges is nowhere near as nice as the CB stuff, but I don't really care about that. Just a little weird. It's pretty good at higher speeds with a closed shield, but the air is pretty bubbly even at low speeds with an open faceshield. I like it ok, but it's also a little above the limit I think I can handle in terms of height. I move around a lot on the bike and stand on the pegs and such, and it's uncomfortably close to my face a lot of the time.

The 20" CB—although not much shorter in actuality—seems a little less likely to jam me in the face. Same kind of smoothness with a closed shield and similar bubbly-ness with an open faceshield. Another oddity is that in the dark, it captures a lot of light from the headlight and the top edge of the screen lights up almost like a line of fiber optic. I've had other screens reflect a lot, but this is the first one with this behavior. Anyway, this one may be the best of the bunch for right now, but I feel like I should try the CalSci again for a bit. may switch back and forth for a while.

Here's the interesting thing. I really like my Neotec—It's the quietest helmet I've owned and very comfy, blah blah blah. I know other folks have complained about the vent noise, and I hadn't ever noticed it because there was so much rumbling from the various screens I was trying out. Now that I've got screens that are close to good, the vents are loud as hell! I'm not sure if it's just that I can hear them more without the rumbling, or if these screens are directing the airflow in such a way that I'm getting more flow and noise, or both... but when I close the top vent, the helmet gets eerily quiet. The thing is, I rarely close my vents. Oh well.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #1028
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,013
Thumb Looking for an R12R?

Good deal here: r1150r.net!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #1029
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Is Cee Bailey the only option for screens that fit the OEM sport screen bracket? I have one of those at present and I'd not sure I want the big touring bracket, it looks like it would be both ugly and dangerous to run with the touring bracket and no shield, where you can do that with the sport bracket without drawing too much attention.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #1030
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Is Cee Bailey the only option for screens that fit the OEM sport screen bracket? I have one of those at present and I'd not sure I want the big touring bracket, it looks like it would be both ugly and dangerous to run with the touring bracket and no shield, where you can do that with the sport bracket without drawing too much attention.
That's the only one I know of. The sport bracket doesn't have much vertical support for larger screens—even the CB sport screen is pretty floppy as a result.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1031
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

You'll need the large bracket for the CEB.
That said, I had The CE 22" screen and hated it.
I didn't ride more than 2 miles before I took it off completely.
Buffeting and way too much back pressure on my head.

I settled for the OEM flyscreen and added an MRA Xscreen which worked fairly well.

I still have the low(er) OEM screen for winter which is tolerable at best.

My latest experiment is a KTM 690 touring screen screwed to the flyscreen which also seems to do the job fairly well overall.

Experiment, that's what we do... ;)

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 08:46 AM
Old 09-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #1032
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
This is what is needed...windscreen needs to extend down and wrap around the headlight, to stop that infernal updraft from the front of the tank. But, he's made it clear he's not going to make one for the r1200r.

(Aeroflow for the r1150r)

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #1033
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...there's a few good fairing choices out there, nothing money won't fix.
THe other alternative is nothing, as in 'naked bike'...
A windshield is only going to do so much.

www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com

http://www.gimbel-motorradtechnik.de/

Parabelleum

Wunderlich Trophy

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #1034
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
The Wunderlich Trophy looks interesting. Would love to try one.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1035
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Trophy+Money=Fix

I pretty neat, kinda pricey considerin' what you get.