Old 09-11-2013, 08:37 PM   #1036
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
I do get better MPG

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Guess I will find out tomorrow how it feels behind it...spent this evening getting my electronics mounted back on. We shall see. This ST shield has the lower pieces that come down farther around the headlight, and the gasket, I guess they want to drive all the air to the side. If it sounds quieter tomorrow with my HJC helmet, I am going to hope the Nolan n104 will be even quieter, making BT conversation and the 24 hour Elvis Channel more enjoyable :)

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #1037
celticus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
That's allot of plastic.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1038
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticus View Post
That's allot of plastic.
Yup, lol. I will probably deploy it for trips and colder weather riding. If it is quiet behind it I may start taking my meetings while on the road :). Improved mileage guaranteed and underpinned, so a little plus, hopefully.

It is a 23"...they have 21 and 19 I believe.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:57 PM   #1039
Mens Rea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Yup, lol. I will probably deploy it for trips and colder weather riding. If it is quiet behind it I may start taking my meetings while on the road :). Improved mileage guaranteed and underpinned, so a little plus, hopefully.

It is a 23"...they have 21 and 19 I believe.
I also tried a 23" for a while. I bought it with a sargent seat and few other thing from a fellow on ibmwr who traded in his r1150 and was stripping off the extras.

I had lots of buffeting. Took it off and now have a much smaller MRA I bought off flea bay. Its enough to keep the fog off me on the evening leg of my commute.

Mens Rea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:44 PM   #1040
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

I took it out and rode for awhile this evening, just as some gust fronts were coming through. I can still see over it, and the noise on my helmet is not as loud, and the air comes down farther behind my helmet than before, so for those reasons it achieved its purpose. It doesn't look as sporty as when I have the Sport shield on it, but then again I can't really run any equipment then, either, and I am not thrilled about riding in cold rain or air with that thing. At this stage in my riding career I like the dead air pocket. I notice those vertical portions of the shield on each side of the headlight make the air come up both my legs and empty under my arms, which is different than the buffeting my forearms took before.

The one thing so far I DON'T like is having to go back to stock position of the handle bars. I've had a 1.5" barback on it since I got it and it really gives me a better riding position, more upright. I was told it would be necessary to take them off for the braces that fasten on the clamp area, and I did so, although it appeared to me something could be fashioned to accommodate the situation with a little thought. The barback risers had a small lip that fit down over the other clamp, I guess preventing sliding. With the braces on it looks like it would just be metal on metal and just downward force preventing movement back and forth, which is what it is doing now, so I dunno. I do know I do not like the more forward position and will not be taking any big trips like that. If any ideas for solving this issue pop into your heads, I'd like to hear them as long as they don't involve damaging my self-esteem, lol.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #1041
bxrdon
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Seems to me that you just need to buy some longer bolts and a spacer to put the bar-backs back on. If you can't find a spacer, a stack of lockwashers will probably do the trick. They just have to fit down in the bolt hole. The idea would be to stack the washers under the top screen mount so the the bolt is still pushing on the the bottom of the recessed bolt hole in the clamp instead of on the top of the clamp. I did something similar once, I even found that the hardware store had chromed allen bolts in the right size for a couple of bucks extra. I think that the spacer you want would be described as an 8mm bearing spacer. Check your bolt size.
bxrdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:19 PM   #1042
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Bxrdon, now that you mention that, I just realized there were some extra pieces in the bag of stuff that came with the shield, and there were a couple of cylindrical spacers!

I don't know if they were made for that, but your idea sounds like a good one, and I will check that out, thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #1043
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
I saw that the standard non comfort seat is the same height as the low comfort seat. Both are 800mm.
In reality does the low comfort seat compress down more compared to the standard seat? If I have a standard seat will the bend in my knee be the same as the low comfort seat?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #1044
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,174
In my experience the std comfort is lower than the standard bench seat. I had one of each and the std comfort was really low. Significantly so despite what the specs say.
'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace

'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #1045
comac90
RedBull Addict

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
The Wunderlich Trophy looks interesting. Would love to try one.
It does look interesting -been reading alot of forum reviews. It seems if one is wanting to eliminate pressure off the chest and most/all turbulence, but still keep a 'naked' look, its the way to go. ---- Enough reading! I just ordered one to give it a try. -T
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #1046
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
i just ordered a parabellum scout fairing for my 2007 R1200R. won't have it for over a month as i guess there really busy, but can't wait to get it. hopefully it will work well to eliminate all the air i get on my chest and provide good all around weather protection.
nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #1047
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,619
Hey, not to get too far afield of the R****R thread, but wasn't there supposed to be a BMW LoRider unveiled for BMW's 90th? The one that had the standard front end (no wishbone) and the semi-chopped tail??

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #1048
DirtyOldMan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,875
Just bought this last week.

1996 33000 mi. still a baby.
Corbin seat, works performance shock, and P/O put the lower pipe from a st or rt or something on it so the large size luggage will fit.

My first BMW unless you count the bastard stepchild husky. I took it on a 300 miler yesterday and it seems to be a damned civilized way to eat up gobs of backroads and slab and even tried a bit of gravel with it.

13 650 Terra

96 R1100R
DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1049
Eric R. Shelton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I pretty neat, kinda pricey considerin' what you get.
The only reason I could justify it was to paint match the Classic stripe. (That's my pic you used to show the different fairings/screens.) Between the Trophy and my Schuberth C3 Pro I have a pretty quiet and comfortable ride now. But if I were doing it all over again and didn't have the unconvincing "classic" paint job on a modern bike, I'd probably try the MRA first.
Eric R. Shelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #1050
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 450
Well I made a warranty claim on my bike based on the rust under the filler cap. The dealership actually went through the same thing for another bike that was a trade-in. I know this from when I went there to shop used bike (I was turned off by their prices and went to another place). Hopefully the warranty claim will go well for me, too. Once I get a new tank I'll put the S1000RR gasket on. It looks like I will be w.o. my new bike for 3 weeks at a minimum.

I bought the Jim Von Baden service dvd. Is that good enough? Seems so. Should I buy the Haynes manual or the BMW service dvd ?
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote