Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #1051
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorinoakenshield View Post
Well I made a warranty claim on my bike based on the rust under the filler cap. The dealership actually went through the same thing for another bike that was a trade-in. I know this from when I went there to shop used bike (I was turned off by their prices and went to another place). Hopefully the warranty claim will go well for me, too. Once I get a new tank I'll put the S1000RR gasket on. It looks like I will be w.o. my new bike for 3 weeks at a minimum.

I bought the Jim Von Baden service dvd. Is that good enough? Seems so. Should I buy the Haynes manual or the BMW service dvd ?
Are you saying that BMW has actually replaced a tank due to the rust?
Ddoes anyone else know of a tank being replaced?

Will the replacement tank have the same issue or has BMW corrected the situation?

Regards, Paul
Old 09-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #1052
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Are you saying that BMW has actually replaced a tank due to the rust?
Ddoes anyone else know of a tank being replaced?

Will the replacement tank have the same issue or has BMW corrected the situation?

Regards, Paul
I do know for certain that the dealer was able to replace the fuel tank for a bike that was a trade in. The rust was so bad that it moved up to the visible part of the tank and caused the paint to bubble.

The newer tanks do not have bare metal in the area prone to rust, the metal is painted.

If my warranty claim goes well, the replacement tank will get the s1000rr gasket ASAP.

HTH,
Thorin
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #1053
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I testdrove r1200r and gs 1200 in 2008 I believe. As far as I can remember I found both of this bike vibey. Is that only me who has experienced or is that a general issue with boxer engines? I testdrove this year r1200rt and it was like riding a completly a nother bike. I could not believe that this engine is the same one as in r 1200 r. It was smooth and barely no vibration.

Have you guys made similary experience riding this bikes?
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #1054
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post
I testdrove r1200r and gs 1200 in 2008 I believe. As far as I can remember I found both of this bike vibey. Is that only me who has experienced or is that a general issue with boxer engines? I testdrove this year r1200rt and it was like riding a completly a nother bike. I could not believe that this engine is the same one as in r 1200 r. It was smooth and barely no vibration.

The 1200 Boxer engine changed from the "Hexhead" to the "Camhead" in I think 2010 for the RT/GS, and 2011 for the R. The newer DOHC "Camhead" engine is regarded by many to be much smoother.

That said, the state of tune of the engine can make a big difference as well.

-Alec
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #1055
Iranian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
there you go..there is a explanation for evry thing thnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
The 1200 Boxer engine changed from the "Hexhead" to the "Camhead" in I think 2010 for the RT/GS, and 2011 for the R. The newer DOHC "Camhead" engine is regarded by many to be much smoother.

That said, the state of tune of the engine can make a big difference as well.

-Alec
Iranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:52 AM   #1056
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
I do know for certain that the dealer was able to replace the fuel tank for a bike that was a trade in. The rust was so bad that it moved up to the visible part of the tank and caused the paint to bubble.

The newer tanks do not have bare metal in the area prone to rust, the metal is painted.

If my warranty claim goes well, the replacement tank will get the s1000rr gasket ASAP.

HTH,
Thorin
It looks like the warranty claim is progressing with no red flags from BMW.
The tank should arrive in 6-8 weeks from Germany.
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #1057
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by comac90 View Post

My New-to-me 2010 with Touring pkg. A little ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway Saturday afternoon stretching the legs...

Now ... anyone wanna trade their low mileage regular height seat for either a factory low seat or a custom regular height comfort seat? I have both.

T
Pm sent
Old 09-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #1058
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranian View Post

No, Not at all, my 2007 R1200R is very nice. Not buzzy.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #1059
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
It looks like the warranty claim is progressing with no red flags from BMW.
The tank should arrive in 6-8 weeks from Germany.
Only 6 to 8 weeks!!?? It;s taking you a while to join the r1200R community.
Of course I'm never looked under my gas cap/neck gasket.
celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 AM   #1060
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,038
...I've got a GPR exhaust that is new I may be letting go off if anyone is interested.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #1061
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 623
This is my first post in this thread. I just picked up a 2002 R1150R and my initial impressions are amazing. I adore the tractor-like tug and grunt down low, and 6th at 70-75 mph is just sublime. The ergos are awesome for me, I'm really enjoying this bike.

But...
I got run into on the highway the other day, went down and slid a goodly distance. My gear saved me, helmet sacrificed itself for me, and other than an broken rib and some general bruises / soreness I'm just fine. The bike slid for a while, used up the right engine jug cover and added some experience to the right rear case. I don't THINK it impacted anything or did anything other than slide and pirouette on the engine / case, but I was too busy to watch it as it was going. I rode it home about 2.5 hours on the highway from that, and everything felt OK to my limited knowledge of this platform.

Now that I'm at home I've been going over the bike to see if I can find any damage about which I should worry. Everything seems OK other than the final drive, which I'm not experienced enough to diagnose. I've noticed some drip / runs coming down from the seal between the shaft and rear housing.
I don't know if this is some overrun from the bike being on its side and it venting out the breather, a pinion seal weeping, or a drive that is getting ready to grenade. My current plan is to clean it, change the diff oil and monitor, but the monitor part has to wait a bit until my rib is healed up. I haven't put the bike on the stand to check for rear wheel wobble or anything yet, I'll admit that the broken rib sucks more than I would have thought. What are your thoughts, what should I look for or do with this?
Untitled
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #1062
Gander
Newly minted n00b

Oddometer: 883
I bit of weeping from the rubber boot is normal. Not unusual to have a teaspoon or two of oil in there when you remove it.
Gander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #1063
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytelyte View Post
I got run into on the highway the other day, went down and slid a goodly distance. My gear saved me, helmet sacrificed itself for me, and other than an broken rib and some general bruises / soreness I'm just fine. The bike slid for a while, used up the right engine jug cover and added some experience to the right rear case. I don't THINK it impacted anything or did anything other than slide and pirouette on the engine / case, but I was too busy to watch it as it was going. I rode it home about 2.5 hours on the highway from that, and everything felt OK to my limited knowledge of this platform.
Glad you are OK ... Sorry that you were hit. I can't imagine a ride home with a broken rib, especially since you say your helmet had impacted. I hope you had an accident report to itemize all the damage you may find now that you are looking more closely. Damn... and welcome to the thread.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #1064
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,294
After six years with my '07 R1200R, I'm contemplating bar risers. Can anyone share their research of risers that don't require longerr cables, etc? Thanks.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1065
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Glad you are OK ... Sorry that you were hit. I can't imagine a ride home with a broken rib, especially since you say your helmet had impacted. I hope you had an accident report to itemize all the damage you may find now that you are looking more closely. Damn... and welcome to the thread.
It was... Not optimal. The first half hour was a freebie, I had no idea my chest was injured, adrenaline. Then I got about 15 minutes of "I think I pulled a muscle or something picking up the bike." Then it was just pain. And then it was agony, holding breath for bumps, etc. Oh well. Made it. Went to the hospital that night and got some good things, although I think the nurses at the ER were disappointed. "Oh, motorcycle wreck on the highway?! I gotta see this! ....... Wait. You don't look like meatloaf. Were you wearing a helmet?" (Its amazing how many times I had to answer that question)

Helmet didn't 'impact' so much, just sliding. No loss of consciousness or anything, or riding would not have been safe. ER checked me out and said I was fine. Guy that knocked me off the road just left, and there is not enough of anything to turn into insurance. Oh well. Some people just suck, karma will get him someday.

Sitting around doing nothing when I have tons of energy right now is KILLING me. At least today is rainy and gloomy, I don't have a huge urge to take the bike out right now. I need to shop for a new helmet and gloves anyway.

Thanks for the data on the bike. Its just under 12k miles, so I'm going to prep for that service and will just keep an eye on it. I'll not worry about it too much unless it increases. Thanks folks!
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote