Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #1066
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Chuck View Post
Guess I will find out tomorrow how it feels behind it...spent this evening getting my electronics mounted back on. We shall see. This ST shield has the lower pieces that come down farther around the headlight, and the gasket, I guess they want to drive all the air to the side. If it sounds quieter tomorrow with my HJC helmet, I am going to hope the Nolan n104 will be even quieter, making BT conversation and the 24 hour Elvis Channel more enjoyable :)

Well, found time to take it out on a good trip today, and overall I am disappointed about the helmet buffeting results. I was on a naked stock seat, even going south with a north wind, I couldn't believe it, the buffeting seemed louder and more rapid-fire than the old shield, and I was even hunched down more because of no barbacks. If I put my hand up above my helmet, I can feel the wind hitting farther back, just past the center point while sitting normally. My old shield put the wind right above the shield, but I swear it is not as loud hitting there for some reason.

The shield DOES take a good bit of buffeting off my arms and chest because the lower shield arms deflect the air that sweeps in over the tops of the oil coolers, but those were not the solutions for which I was hoping. Now, I just had a thought, if I had the sheepskin cover on the seat I would be sitting up even more, so the air would hit a little more forward from where it hits now. Not sure I can theorize that if the air moves back toward where it was hitting with the old shield it would get quieter...but then, why have the freaking shield??

I had high hopes for this shield, dangit. My old shield was more swept-back than this one...I wonder if the more upright nature of the Super Tour causes more turbulence at my helmet now? (pounding head on desk)

I suspect it will be better in sheltering from the elements while riding, at least, lol. If I were a few inches shorter (5'11" without the sheepskin and Bohn armor) it would probably be perfect.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #1067
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
The shield is too steep. Shields need a good rake to them....shallower angle than the forks. Good rake , plus a venting design (eg, laminar lip) are the secrets to success.

Need to cut through the wind rather than hammer it out of the way.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #1068
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Good points, of which I am aware, thanks, but thought I would try this based on anecdotal testimony by several. I don't know whether to try to customize it in order to hit the points you mentioned, or just try to send it back and start from square one again. My other shield has a much steeper rake. Wondering if I could adjust the rake on this thing? Going to ask Brenda at Parabellum who helped me, thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #1069
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Gave up my R1200st 3 years ago. Miss that boxer. Picking up a 2007 r1200r with 9k miles next Sunday.
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #1070
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
The shield is too steep. Shields need a good rake to them....shallower angle than the forks. Good rake , plus a venting design (eg, laminar lip) are the secrets to success.

Need to cut through the wind rather than hammer it out of the way.

...'zactly!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #1071
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
I got the rake on the Scout shallower by modifying the mounts at the bar clamps ( pulled closer to rider) and at the headlight bolts (pushed away from the rider). A few degrees made all the difference.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #1072
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
ride the bike naked.

Just did that for 5,000 miles and it was great. Way better than the stock screen.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:25 PM   #1073
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Quote:
I got the rake on the Scout shallower by modifying the mounts at the bar clamps ( pulled closer to rider) and at the headlight bolts (pushed away from the rider). A few degrees made all the difference.
I was out looking at it this evening trying to visualize raking it back some more. The rake is almost exactly that of the forks. This Super Tour has two kind of small screws at the bottom and then the ones on the top that bolt to the bars. I could probably bring the bottom forward by using a longer screw and a bushing to increase the distance from shield to headlight frame mount on either side. Will give that a try, thanks.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #1074
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,012
Thumb MRA Varioscreen

...got this Wunderlich MRA Varioscreen used in the FM. Best screen yet!
I has just the right amount of vacuum relief and height adjustability (fror me) without being too Grampa Ugly.
Guess I'll be selling my CEBAILY...........

I'm dancin'!

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #1075
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quick question about hexhead R12R cylinder head protectors/covers. My bike came with what I think are the OEM plastic covers, I removed them along with the 6 bolts (3 per side) that held them to the heads. After I tried to put the bolts back in but they are too long. I figured I need to buy the stock bolts that don't account for the covers. The dealer said I don't need bolts and they should just be empty threads if I'm not using the covers, is this true?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #1076
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
The dealer said I don't need bolts and they should just be empty threads if I'm not using the covers, is this true?
This is technically correct, also if you want to keep dust and grit out, it might be worth getting them just for this.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #1077
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
This is technically correct, also if you want to keep dust and grit out, it might be worth getting them just for this.
Thank you, but he couldn't seem to find a part number for the shorter bolts or seem to think they even existed. Are they even available?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #1078
thorinoakenshield
ya mo be there

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Thank you, but he couldn't seem to find a part number for the shorter bolts or seem to think they even existed. Are they even available?
The stock bike doesn't have bolts in there, so it's unlikely that short oem bolts are sold for those holes.
You can go to a hardware store and get some shorter bolts. Take the old ones with you to get the thread pitch/diameter.

Put some anti-sieze on the bolt and tighten them on...
thorinoakenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #1079
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,389
Perhaps stainless bolts with a torx head to match the rest of the bike.

David
Old 09-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #1080
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the info. I'm going to just leave them out.