ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #1216
billbeemer
bozo on bus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dunedin, Fl
Oddometer: 122
thanks mike

i rode almost 400 mi yesterday down to "big cattle" country in s. florida from dunedin. the product is great. i feel like i've been given an extra gear. i can cruise at 2800 in 6th and never could before. it pulls in 6th from 2500. i'll try going to #8, thanks for the tip. i filled up yesterday after steady cruising 55-70mph. 4.0 gal for 185mi. i think the good mileage is due to being able to spend so much more time in lower rpm in 6th gear. i just love it. will adj. to #8 later today. all i have to do is remove seat, turn pot and count blinks. thanks again mike...............
billbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #1217
Mike Figielski
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Randolph, NJ
Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer View Post
i rode almost 400 mi yesterday down to "big cattle" country in s. florida from dunedin. the product is great. i feel like i've been given an extra gear. i can cruise at 2800 in 6th and never could before. it pulls in 6th from 2500. i'll try going to #8, thanks for the tip. i filled up yesterday after steady cruising 55-70mph. 4.0 gal for 185mi. i think the good mileage is due to being able to spend so much more time in lower rpm in 6th gear. i just love it. will adj. to #8 later today. all i have to do is remove seat, turn pot and count blinks. thanks again mike...............
Nice to actually be able to use 6th gear for more than just high speed highway use, huh? Glad you are enjoying it Bill.
Mike
__________________
Mike Figielski

Check Out:
beemerboneyard.com
Mike Figielski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #1218
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 467
Re: The R850R:

Looked it up on Google and apparently it was made from '96 to '07? Was it sold in the US during that time period?

I'm a little embarrassed to say this, since I consider myself pretty knowedgeable about motorcycles, but until I read the above posts I had never even heard of the R850R. I don't think I've ever seen one, either.

An 850 would be perfect for my needs. Apparently they're about as rare as hen's teeth to find.

I've always felt that 750cc or so was about the perfect size for someone who didn't ride two-up. My current 865cc Scrambler is as big as I need a bike to be, although it is somewhat lacking in top-end power.

On Saturday I went for a short ride and stopped in to the same BMW/Triumph dealer where I bought my Scrambler in 2009. They had an older R1100R and a newer R1150R listed on their web site that I wanted to check out. Unfortunately I was disappointed to find that the R1150R was sold and the R1100R had spoke wheels. :( (One of the things that started me on the journey away from my Scrambler was that I wanted to get something with cast wheels, so that if I got a flat on the road, I could plug it.)

Was also disappointed to see it did not have a round handlebar (round handlebar makes it easier to mount handlebar-mounted accessories, windshields, etc.)

I chatted with the salesman for a few minutes, he told me that they do occasionally get an R1150R in and told me to give him my contact info if I was interested. I said I need to clean up my Scrambler and remove the farkles before I sell it, and that probably won't happen until next year. I guess I can take comfort in the fact that the 1150R and 1100R are not that rare on the used market, so when it's time for me to sell my Scrambler, I shouldn't have too much difficulty finding an 1150R for sale.
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #1219
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 9,077
Thumb not that rare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Re: The R850R:

.... Apparently they're about as rare as hen's teeth to find....

.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4173141241.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/4175931243.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4123262300.html
__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #1220
tracye34
I know nothing
 
tracye34's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Oddometer: 30
FYI: the R1100 spoke wheels are TUBELESS. If you look, you can see the spokes come through on the outside of the wheels , so flat repairs are no problem. There are conversion kits for the bars, the clip-on's definitely limit some of the available accessories.

[/QUOTE]
On Saturday I went for a short ride and stopped in to the same BMW/Triumph dealer where I bought my Scrambler in 2009. They had an older R1100R and a newer R1150R listed on their web site that I wanted to check out. Unfortunately I was disappointed to find that the R1150R was sold and the R1100R had spoke wheels. :( (One of the things that started me on the journey away from my Scrambler was that I wanted to get something with cast wheels, so that if I got a flat on the road, I could plug it.)

Was also disappointed to see it did not have a round handlebar (round handlebar makes it easier to mount handlebar-mounted accessories, windshields, etc.)
[/QUOTE]
__________________
Tracy
2001 R1100R
1997 F650ST (sold)
tracye34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #1221
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,477
Yes, the R1100R wire-spoked wheels are the cross-spoke type, as used on the R100/1100/1150/1200GS bikes. They are tubeless rims.

I recall from my R1100R-SE days that R1100/1150GS GS owners were on the lookout for the odd-sized used R1100R wheels as part of modifying their bikes.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #1222
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 467
Oh, there are THREE in CA. Never mind.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tracye34 View Post
FYI: the R1100 spoke wheels are TUBELESS. If you look, you can see the spokes come through on the outside of the wheels , so flat repairs are no problem. There are conversion kits for the bars, the clip-on's definitely limit some of the available accessories.
Ah, good to know on both points.

Although I still prefer cast wheels just because they are easier to keep clean, at least being able to plug a flat is a big load off my mind.
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #1223
billbeemer
bozo on bus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dunedin, Fl
Oddometer: 122
true dat,

exactly right. from 55-65 i was always going back and forth from 5th to 6th. it's distracting and takes away from the joy of riding. i had about abandoned 6th as an overdrive for over 70 on interstate. that's all changed now. i have put 20k miles on this R in the last yr. i know what it did and know what it didn't do. THIS IS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BIKE with this product. I'm amazed every time i take it out!
billbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #1224
Gillus
High Desert Rat
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Alamogordo, NM
Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Re: The R850R:

Looked it up on Google and apparently it was made from '96 to '07? Was it sold in the US during that time period?

I'm a little embarrassed to say this, since I consider myself pretty knowedgeable about motorcycles, but until I read the above posts I had never even heard of the R850R. I don't think I've ever seen one, either.

An 850 would be perfect for my needs. Apparently they're about as rare as hen's teeth to find.

I've always felt that 750cc or so was about the perfect size for someone who didn't ride two-up. My current 865cc Scrambler is as big as I need a bike to be, although it is somewhat lacking in top-end power.

On Saturday I went for a short ride and stopped in to the same BMW/Triumph dealer where I bought my Scrambler in 2009. They had an older R1100R and a newer R1150R listed on their web site that I wanted to check out. Unfortunately I was disappointed to find that the R1150R was sold and the R1100R had spoke wheels. :( (One of the things that started me on the journey away from my Scrambler was that I wanted to get something with cast wheels, so that if I got a flat on the road, I could plug it.)

Was also disappointed to see it did not have a round handlebar (round handlebar makes it easier to mount handlebar-mounted accessories, windshields, etc.)

I chatted with the salesman for a few minutes, he told me that they do occasionally get an R1150R in and told me to give him my contact info if I was interested. I said I need to clean up my Scrambler and remove the farkles before I sell it, and that probably won't happen until next year. I guess I can take comfort in the fact that the 1150R and 1100R are not that rare on the used market, so when it's time for me to sell my Scrambler, I shouldn't have too much difficulty finding an 1150R for sale.
I was told the R850R was a big seller and very popular in Europe. They did sell them in the US but the US folks must be power mongers and went for the 1100 instead. This one gets up and goes surprisingly very well, cruises at 70 with ease and rides very nice.

The only difference between the 850 and 1100 is engine displacement. Body parts, drivetrain and everything else is supposed to be the same and interchangeable. They did change the instrument panel and some other stuff in '98 or '99. I may be coming to Littleton soon and could deliver this one up there if your interested.
__________________
Beware those with no sense of humor as they will cause you misery.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I said, not what you understood or how you interpreted my words!!
'11 GSA supertanker/mothership, '11 Suzuki Burgman 400, '06 KTM 640A
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #1225
ph0rk
Doesn't Care
 
ph0rk's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Oaktown
Oddometer: 2,050
I did a little digging in the 850r out of curiosity: http://www.visordown.com/reviews/mot...-2007/142.html

damn, that's pretty harsh. Sounds like a victim of the hp wars.

Looks pretty good for a decade old design. I don't think I have ever seen one in person. quite a few 1150r bikes though
__________________
--Semantics are everything.
ph0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:17 PM   #1226
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.
 
FredRydr's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Carlisle Pennsylvania USA
Oddometer: 2,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
The only difference between the 850 and 1100 is engine displacement. Body parts, drivetrain and everything else is supposed to be the same and interchangeable.
Not entirely correct. The final drive ratio is different for the lower horsepower 848cc model. Owners of R1100/1150** bikes have posted in the flea market "WTB: R850R Rear Drive" threads - to hot-rod their oil heads! Also, there was an 848cc version of the R1150R (and an R850RT).

There were European tax reasons to offer the Roadster with an 848cc displacement. Performance reduction was also available, allowing licensees with motorcycle endorsements only for lower horsepower bikes to operate (i.e., buy) them.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 06:43 PM
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #1227
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Englewood, CO
Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post

They did change the instrument panel and some other stuff in '98 or '99. I may be coming to Littleton soon and could deliver this one up there if your interested.
I may indeed be very interested....

PM sent. ;)
__________________
Martin (AKA ZappBranigan)
"Branigan's Law is like Branigan's Love: Hard, and Fast!"
Current Ride: 2002 BMW R1150R
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #1228
RapidRobert
Viagra Donor & reprobate
 
RapidRobert's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Mayberry, NE Texas
Oddometer: 377
Here are a couple more shots of my R850R. They were sold in the US for only a few years. This one was built in '96 - BMW shipped over a number of these with special edition paint and equipment to be used at the '96 Atlanta Olympics, as courier/dispatch bikes and for escort duty. Following the Olympics the bikes were released to dealers and sold to the public. Mine is titled as a '97. I understand these bikes were popular sellers in Europe.

True about the final drive ratio, it's geared a bit lower for better acceleration down low. I owned an R1150R for about 7 years, also an R1100RT for a bit, and this 850 scoots in the lower gears competitively. Above 70, not so much. But strangely the 5 gears seem perfectly adequate. I only recently acquired this bike, and I'm riding the snot out of it.










__________________
"Horsepower is like dick size; there is no such thing as "too much". Granted, you may never use all that you've got, but it sure feels good knowing that you've got it in your pocket, available to whip it out and use it anytime you want to. Or need to, even if just to win a bet ..."
RapidRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #1229
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 9,077
Thumb

...I always thought these R's where the ugliest of the bunch, but I really like what you did with yours. Nicely put together.

__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:29 AM   #1230
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...
 
Rapid Dog's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Strangel Living West of Hell
Oddometer: 9,077
Thumb R11ism

...here ya go Zapp, and not that far away.
Good cheap fun: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922442\
__________________
'09 450 EXC Nani Roma Limited/'08 R1200R-Gone to the Hipsters/'02 Dirty lil KTM400EXC-gone to a good home/'10 WR290X/R buhbye!
'81 R100RS Rattlecandy Red/'06 950 ADV Orangeboom/91 R100GSPD Derelict

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014