Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #1306
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Oddometer: 16
Jalopy, I ordered the factory lowered suspension and from my recollection, ESA was not offered.

I love the motorcycle shed idea. Post pictures, please :)

My previous bike was 2010 F650GS. I miss the knobbies, miss the foolproof engine, and I never had one issue with that bike. The chain lasted 20,000 miles. But alas, I wanted more power, more comfort for long distances. After the first 1000 miles, I don't notice the size in traffic or low speeds, anymore. I highly recommend this bike.

Currently, I'm thinking about something like gripper pegs (iliumworks.com) and maybe a tire that is better for rain in Northern CA winter.

Did you purchase a 12R yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
Thanks, BluBeast, for the reply and apologies for the late response.

Just for the record, are you saying that the bike has/had ESA, but by adjusting the height, it no longer operates; or, did the bike not have ESA in the first place?

Whatever the case, yours is the bike for me. Believe it, or not, the hold up for me is that I am uninsurable for a bike of that value in my neighbourhood without a garage, despite having a 'locked compound'. So I am having a steel motorcycle shed installed!!

Were you on a 12R before this?

Sent from my iFingertips
BluBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #1307
Hoop71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
I'm a picture whore and I love it!

Wunderlich fairing FTW
Hoop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #1308
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Rick G, I put Wunderlich black engine guards so my 2013 12R and they look great. I also installed Acerbis hand guards, which are only bolted at the bar end so they shake a bit, but they look good and cut enough wind. I just added a Cee Bailey 19" windscreen and it works perfectly (I'm 5FT4, 30" inseam). Also, I installed Clearwater lights on the front forks. I've had both the Glenda and the Christa lights and they both light up the road and stop oncoming traffic.

[

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

I would appreciate opinions on the following accessories that I plan on adding as to which ones work the best and why:

Engine protection bars. Do I go with BMW GS bars or Wunderlich, or SW Mototech or ???

Hand guards. Again do I just put on the GS guards or something else??

Driving lights and where / how to mount. Motolights with their brake caliper mounting postions, PIAA 1100X mounted somewere, maybe on the engine bars that I plan on installing. Some new fangled LED contraptions?

Windscreen / Fairing. My bike comes with a minimalist Sport Screen which is well minimalist. I am not a fan of barn door windscreens such as Aeroflow, no matter how well they work and want something more effective than the Sport Screen but also offers some style. Saw the Wunderlich Trophy which looks pretty good but is pricey. I had a Parabellum Scout on an old Airhead of mine and liked it but not sure if the style is right for my new R. What else is there?

Rick G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #1309
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Rick G,

Wunderlich black engine bars: they look great and don't get in the way.

Cee Bailey 19" screen (I just put it on) was a great choice for rain and wind (someone out there opposed to me calling it "winter" in CA...I won't argue that. I used to live in MN and Chicago) I can ride at 65 mph with my visor 1/2 way up.

Clearwater lights. Even the Glenda's are plenty bright. Makes the BMW headlight look anemic.

I have Acerbis hand guards and love the look, but the single point design makes them vibrate as much as the 12R mirrors do. The whole damn handlebar is going to lift off some day.

Originally Posted by Rick G

I would appreciate opinions on the following accessories that I plan on adding as to which ones work the best and why:

Engine protection bars. Do I go with BMW GS bars or Wunderlich, or SW Mototech or ???

Hand guards. Again do I just put on the GS guards or something else??

Driving lights and where / how to mount. Motolights with their brake caliper mounting postions, PIAA 1100X mounted somewere, maybe on the engine bars that I plan on installing. Some new fangled LED contraptions?

Being a BMW I know the seat will suck and will need replaced or reworked. I have had a few Rick Mayer saddles done in the past and am leaning that way but is there a better choice/

Windscreen / Fairing. My bike comes with a minimalist Sport Screen which is well minimalist. I am not a fan of barn door windscreens such as Aeroflow, no matter how well they work and want something more effective than the Sport Screen but also offers some style. Saw the Wunderlich Trophy which looks pretty good but is pricey. I had a Parabellum Scout on an old Airhead of mine and liked it but not sure if the style is right for my new R. What else is there?

Sent from my iHands
Old 11-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #1310
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
2012 R1200R

CeeBailey sport screen for the frame your 1200 came with.

GS hand guards.

Wunderlich mirror extenders - got rid of the shake and improved the rear view angle.

I have a brand new Wunderlich standard height seat for sale.

Standard height comfort seat is right for me, so I'm local if you're interested in the Wunderlich.

Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #1311
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post
Currently, I'm thinking about something like gripper pegs (iliumworks.com) and maybe a tire that is better for rain in Northern CA winter.
If you're looking for grippier pegs (I think that's what you meant?) I am currently running the "sport bike" pegs that Touratech sells for the R1200R. If I recall correctly, they're actually LSLs. Where the stock ones were slippery in the rain and mediocre in dry weather, these are grippy as hell, wet or dry. I have considered going with a bigger platform, more dirt bike-y peg, but I'm pretty happy with these for now. They have never failed me.

In case you haven't checked 'em out yet, Michelin PR3s are awesome for the wet and while not a true "sport bike" tire, pretty damn grippy in the dry. I've had my knee down on my R1200R with PR3s on it with zero issues, although obviously not at a race pace since I'm a graying dude on a BMW. I also find them to be predictable and reliable in a variety of traction situations—crap in the road mid-turn (think Del Puerto Canyon, since I know you're a Bay Area rider), Bott's dots, metal plates in the road, etc. Best tires I've ever ridden on, for sure.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #1312
BluBeast
Urban nomad

SF_Hooligan, the clearance on your LSL's would be a lot better than the iliumworks ones I was looking at. I sort of miss my Pivot Pegz from my F650GS, but I had such minimal cornering ability. Here are the iliumworks gripper pegs...but they don't even know if the pegs would work on an R12R.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...252D100&pID=86

Those MichelinPR3's got rave reviews.. Apparently I won't have to get knobbies :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_Hooligan View Post
If you're looking for grippier pegs (I think that's what you meant?) I am currently running the "sport bike" pegs that Touratech sells for the R1200R. If I recall correctly, they're actually LSLs. Where the stock ones were slippery in the rain and mediocre in dry weather, these are grippy as hell, wet or dry. I have considered going with a bigger platform, more dirt bike-y peg, but I'm pretty happy with these for now. They have never failed me.

Sent from my iFingertips
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 AM   #1313
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Those MichelinPR3's got rave reviews.. Apparently I won't have to get knobbies....
There is no free lunch. Revzilla included a restriction regarding the Trail tire:
Note: The Trail version of the Pilot Road 3 tire is designed specifically for large, ADV bikes that are ridden solely on the road.
Fred
'07 R1200R
'09 F800GS
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #1314
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,902
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Right now I am leaning towards the SW Motech guards as they are $100 cheaper than the Wunderlich's and appear to offer a bit more protection.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/shop-...type=Crashbars

For hand guards I kind of like the Barkbusters also available through Twisted throttle. They don't attach at the bar ends so any throttle lock should work.

Wunderlich has a sale right now for the Trophy but my Candy Red is not on sale but the unpainted silver is. Tempting.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/

As for saddle, I will probably go the custom route but will ride with the stock saddle for a while so I will have an idea as to what I want to change.

BTW here are a few pics of my bike captured from the selling dealers website. Can't wait for it to get here.

Rick G

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1315
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 670
question for Comac90 and Hoop71..........

Does the W Trophy fairing give a clean undisturbed smooth air flow to your helmet??

My concern is that I am 6'3" with a 32" inseam, taller torso and I would like a smooth air flow to the helmet but some wind protection for my chest to take the load off. Will the trophy do any good at all?? If you look at my post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...844612&page=84 and scroll down a bit with the 12R and the 850R, that Fallert fairing on the 850R works great for me and has a smooth transition where as the ztech if too upright or something.

I cut two inches off the ztech sport touring (as shown) and the wind hits just below my helmet bit is still turbulent behind the screen with the abrupt upright flow. I may cut it down and other inch or two but it still has the abrupt edge the Trophy doesn't. Your thoughts??
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #1316
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
my 07'

With Parabellum Scout fairing and 10" screen, I also have a 20" screen

I wanted narrower bars but no lower so I put on F700ST bars, close to two inches shorter per side, and ROX risers, they came with the bike, to get back to the stock R height

Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #1317
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 670
I found this. Look/click on the pic of the R1200R down 10 or so bikes on page 1 in the gallery. Price is about right for an experiment, Air-Tech Streamlining for an R1100R on a beautiful R1200R, I'd like to see that bike in the sunshine.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/...00R1998-04.htm
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #1318
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
SF_Hooligan, the clearance on your LSL's would be a lot better than the iliumworks ones I was looking at. I sort of miss my Pivot Pegz from my F650GS, but I had such minimal cornering ability. Here are the iliumworks gripper pegs...but they don't even know if the pegs would work on an R12R.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorc...252D100&pID=86
The adjustment on those is interesting, but the pattern looks to be good for side to side, but perhaps less for front to back. Also look to be GS-only. I have a pair of GS pegs that I got to test fitment on the R, since there are so many awesome pegs for the GSes—they don't fit. Here's something I figured out, though—Triumph Tiger 1050 pegs will fit too, so you can run these multi-purpose SW Motechs will work (and they look pretty cool) and Pivot Pegz for the Triumph should work too, although it's not published by the PP folks.

I have Pivot Pegz on my Dakar and am not sure I'm sold on them yet. I wish they were a bit wider (in terms of width out from the side of the bike). But I just started wearing Sidi Adventures and the extra flex in the peg may be helpful—downshifting on my R is a bit tricky right now, since my muscle memory hasn't updated to the lesser flexibility in my ankle that my beat-ass old OnRoads had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
There is no free lunch. Revzilla included a restriction regarding the Trail tire:
Note: The Trail version of the Pilot Road 3 tire is designed specifically for large, ADV bikes that are ridden solely on the road.
I don't know about BlueBeast, but I wasn't talking about the Trails—just the regular PR3s. I think it's been well known that the Trails are street-only anyway—they're basically just the regular PR3s (sport touring tires) in adv bike sizes. Although I've done lots of fire roads on my R with street tires—can't go as fast of course, but it's doable.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 AM   #1319
Dieselpwr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
GPR exhaust

Quick clip without the baffle.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #1320
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
For hand guards I kind of like the Barkbusters also available through Twisted throttle. They don't attach at the bar ends so any throttle lock should work.
I used to run those guards on my bike. I switched to the Wunderlich guards a year or so ago, and I can't remember why now. I think I was hoping the clear guards would look a little less obvious than the Black BB Storms, but they always have so many bugs and other crap on them I'm not sure I've accomplished any kind of invisibility.

Anyway, they're pretty decent. I think the coverage from the Wunderlich guards may be ever-so-slightly better, but it's hard to say—neither gives 100% protection in the cold stuff. My fingers will still get a bit chilly. Anyway, here's a shot of the Storms on my bike a while back.