Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #1321
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

I forgot to ask about tankbags. Which on are you using?

Rick G
I don't run a tank bag full time but I did use a Wolfman Timber Wolf on a trip to Colorado last summer worked great, if a little wide

Last weekend I rigged up a Bags Connection City unit but haven't had the chance to ride with it due to weather and Thanksgiving dragging me to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Mounts up nicely and seems well made.

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits

BigEasy screwed with this post 12-21-2013 at 01:21 PM
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #1322
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Engine guards

Been shopping for engine guards since I got the bike in August.
The plastic ones just don't do it. Don't ask how I know this.
The metal covers are all silver colored, which don't match my 90th Ann. model.
This left only the tubular cages. The one I thought offered the most protection is the Givi. Mounting was straight forward difficult. They offer no instructions, and evidently the concept of a production jig is unknown to the Italians. With the help of a six ton jack and half inch drill it only took four hours to mount. This is from someone with a lot of experience.
But, I can't complain about the results. Protection appears excellent, and I now have a place to rest my feet on long rides. It also offers a good place to mount driving lights.

The price was not too bad either. IIRC it was $186.00

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #1323
Jalopy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post
Jalopy, I ordered the factory lowered suspension and from my recollection, ESA was not offered.

I love the motorcycle shed idea. Post pictures, please :)

My previous bike was 2010 F650GS. I miss the knobbies, miss the foolproof engine, and I never had one issue with that bike. The chain lasted 20,000 miles. But alas, I wanted more power, more comfort for long distances. After the first 1000 miles, I don't notice the size in traffic or low speeds, anymore. I highly recommend this bike.

Currently, I'm thinking about something like gripper pegs (iliumworks.com) and maybe a tire that is better for rain in Northern CA winter.

Did you purchase a 12R

Sent from my iFingertips

--

Thanks again for the feedback, BluBeast.

Things have been a bit busy lately, so, no purchase yet and the 90th Yr Edition bike that I had my eye on has now gone!

Ironically, the guy who bought it then advertised his old bike (also DOHC) at a silly low price and I was a whisker off buying it, but someone got there first. So annoying.

I'll drop some pictures of the shed, once it's installed.

Meantime, I went on a longish journey yesterday on a cold day to collect a new jacket. I was frozen when I arrived at the warehouse, but the return journey was another story.. I reckon I now have the perfect gear for anything but extreme heat (I am talking British Isles, here!):

BMW Atlantis 4 trousers
Belstaff Snaefell jacket
Daytona boots, Halvarssons gloves and Schuberth C3 helmet

Woops! Wrong forum, but.. all the gear, now waiting for the right bike... : )
Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #1324
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
My shopping quest begins!

Sold the Scrambler yesterday, now I'm shopping around. There are a couple of 1150R's in the local CL, one of them is a Rockster.

Any reason to prefer one over the other, except for looks? Not crazy about the "cyborg" headlight on the Rockster (I like a big, round headlight on a "classic" style bike.)

Also, looks like most of these bikes for sale are around 50k mileage-wise. Any reason to be concerned about that? I've heard BMW's are good for high miles. Any particular things to worry about?
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #1325
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by rous44 View Post
... With the help of a six ton jack and half inch drill it only took four hours to mount. This is from someone with a lot of experience.

The price was not too bad either. IIRC it was $186.00

...jeez...that bad to mount?
Price is right though...who is ' IIRC'...?

I paid that same price for the Machineart guards today. I like the design.
...Had a little incident with the not so cheap old guards yesterday...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #1326
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Sold the Scrambler yesterday, now I'm shopping around. There are a couple of 1150R's in the local CL, one of them is a Rockster.

Any reason to prefer one over the other, except for looks? Not crazy about the "cyborg" headlight on the Rockster (I like a big, round headlight on a "classic" style bike.)

Also, looks like most of these bikes for sale are around 50k mileage-wise. Any reason to be concerned about that? I've heard BMW's are good for high miles. Any particular things to worry about?
I realize that you are not very close to Illinois, but I do have my R1150R Rockster listed for sale in the flea market section. The bike only has ~20k miles.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #1327
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I paid that same price for the Machineart guards today. I like the design.
...Had a little incident with the not so cheap old guards yesterday...
I used to buy spare valve covers for my R1100R and R1150R and keep them on the shelf for such incidents, notwithstanding the OEM guards. But the new MachineArt Moto valve cover guards (ver. 3) for the R1200R are so good that I stopped hoarding spare valve covers! My opinion is that sliding on macadam with MachineArt Moto guards is going to cost as much to repair damage as it would if I bought crash bars. And bars make an R1200R too wide and goofy-looking.

What were your metal metal valve cover guards in the photo? Are they aluminum?

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #1328
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I realize that you are not very close to Illinois, but I do have my R1150R Rockster listed for sale in the flea market section. The bike only has ~20k miles.
Thanks for the tip, but unless you're selling it dirt cheap (and I assume you are not), it wouldn't be worth it given that there are two Rocksters on the local CL right now.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #1329
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,941
Bluhduh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

What were your metal metal valve cover guards in the photo? Are they aluminum?

Fred
Those are some Wudo or Wunderlich aluminum units. Not only expensive, but they're ugly too!
Actually got them on Ebay cheap, about $35. So you can see how well they protect...
Slide about 6-8 feet at under 30mph and they're toast.
No harm no foul....

Agreed on the crashbars. Too bad they don't make a simple and svelt tubular bar to mount lights on.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #1330
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...jeez...that bad to mount?
Price is right though...who is ' IIRC'...?
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

The engine protectors that simply cover the heads are ok for parking lot tip overs or very low speed lay downs, but I've seen the valve covers holed with these. To keep from walking home from losing all your oil real crash bars are needed. And, as I said before, they provide a great place to rest your feet on a long trip.
I also like the slimmer appearance of just head covers, but the bars, being in black, are not as noticeable as you would first think.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #1331
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy View Post
I don't run a tank bag full time but I did use a Wolfman Timber Wolf on a trip to Colorado last summer worked great, if a little wide

Last weekend I rigged up a Bags Connection City unit but haven't had the chance to ride with it due to weather and Thanksgiving dragging me to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. Mounts up nicely and seems well made.

[/URL]

ALERT the Wolfman is for sale in the Parts section of the flea market
What hand guards are those?

Thanks,

Rick G

PS Nice bike!
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #1332
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
The engine protectors that simply cover the heads are ok for parking lot tip overs or very low speed lay downs, but I've seen the valve covers holed with these. To keep from walking home from losing all your oil real crash bars are needed. And, as I said before, they provide a great place to rest your feet on a long trip.
I also like the slimmer appearance of just head covers, but the bars, being in black, are not as noticeable as you would first think.
This just simply isn't true. Several of the crash bars (Wunderlich, for example) don't even offer full protection—the valve cover still touches down. The MachineArt Moto guards (mentioned by others in this thread) are thick and sturdy as hell—I have no doubt there's less chance of mine wearing through in a slide versus one of the many poorly designed crash bars that just change the angle the valve cover is hitting the street. The crash bars that offer real coverage are just too much—too much crap on the bike, too much reduction of clearance, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
What hand guards are those?
Those are Barkbuster Storms.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #1333
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Barkbusters

I've had my barkbusters on for a year now, maybe a bit more ... love 'em for keeping hands warmer and dryer. Plus, IMHO they are not too much of a distraction to the bikes lines. YMMV

Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1334
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,868
Thanks for the info on the Barkbusters. Those are the ones I was looking at on Twisted Throttle's website. I like them.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1335
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,025
Quote:
...I've seen the valve covers holed with these.
Please post links to the photos of the "holed" MachineArt Moto valve cover guards you saw. How many bikes suffered these losses of oil?

Thank you!

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote