User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 08:42 AM   #1336
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,079
Cool2 Crashism

...headguards and crashbars are a matter of opinion and choice.

In my experience the best thing a crashbar on any boxer is good for is to negate the possibility of holing a valve cover, which a good vlave cover guard will do as well, (not like the one's I bought).

Crashbars are great for mounting pegs and lights as well.
However, in event of a crash, crashbars are designed to bend, and if they aren't, they're going to bend the frame.

Don't fool yourself into thinking they're going to save your sticky-outty cylinders...if something can tear a head or cylinder off any boxer, well, the bike is toast anyway.

In the end, you spend a pretty decent sum for good crashbars to save what?
A $218 valve cover...Unless you slide long enough that you grind down into valve train, which is pretty rare if not doubtful.
In most cases if you go down, a boxer will pirouette on it's cylinder, rear/front wheel and/or tailpipe/peg making a classic 2-3 point landing and spin... ....(go ahead, ask me how I know).

I tossed the idea of crash bars on my GS and KTM 950 after having to starighten them so many times. The damage they do is often more costly than what the actually save. In a tipover, no big loss. Like I said, they make good accessory mounts.

I'm satisfied with good valve cover guards...again, personal choice.

...boought as bad as it gets, notice the valve cover guard...

Rapid Dog screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 10:02 AM
Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1337
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,519
Rapid,

That's what JB Weld is for!

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 12-03-2013 at 01:07 PM Reason: spelling
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #1338
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,411
I crashed my /6 in 1993. The cylinder hit the bumper of the car that cut me off. It bent the frame but did not hurt the cylinder.

Valve cover protectors cost as much as a valve cover. I don't use them.

We all make our own decisions.

David
Old 12-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #1339
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Cool2 trust-know-one-ism

...in 1983 I had a hamburger eatin' girl in a Ford Rager turn into me as I went thru an intersection.
Me riding my primo 1977 R100RS I was.
The left jug probably saved my leg. The bumper on the Ranger was pushed dead center back into the motor, truck was totaled...so was the bike.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #1340
comac90
Rule #76

Oddometer: 152
Wunderlich Fairing

Gillus-
I'm 5'11", longer torso and run with a custom seat at 32". The air hits me right at my collar bone and shoulders. The air is smooth to a degree (much smoother than the BMW fly screen I was running). I notice if I 'sit tall', totally straight back, the little turbulence that is there decreases to almost nothing.

I wear an Arai XD4 and Shoei RF1100 and both get slight turbulence when I don't "sit tall". I can wear the Shoei up to 70mph without earplugs for short distances, but forget it with the XD - it's so loud it's painful. That said, I get more low frequency 'booming' with the RF1100 and with earplugs, both helmets are very comfortable. I've done multi-hour days with both.

What struck me a little odd is that, with the Wunderlich installed, I get some side-to-side torso wind buffeting when I wear my BMW Club Jacket with only a t-shirt or thin layer underneath. I don't get that with my Rallye Pro 3 or Airshell. If I layer up under the Club, then it's minimized.

Overall, I find the fairing quieter than the fly screen or no screen.

Hope that helps-
T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
question for Comac90 and Hoop71..........

Does the W Trophy fairing give a clean undisturbed smooth air flow to your helmet??

My concern is that I am 6'3" with a 32" inseam, taller torso and I would like a smooth air flow to the helmet but some wind protection for my chest to take the load off. Will the trophy do any good at all?? If you look at my post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...844612&page=84 and scroll down a bit with the 12R and the 850R, that Fallert fairing on the 850R works great for me and has a smooth transition where as the ztech if too upright or something.

I cut two inches off the ztech sport touring (as shown) and the wind hits just below my helmet bit is still turbulent behind the screen with the abrupt upright flow. I may cut it down and other inch or two but it still has the abrupt edge the Trophy doesn't. Your thoughts??

comac90 screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 04:22 PM
comac90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #1341
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I met this fellow at a rally maybe 2007. We both had new R1200Rs but he had put a cool fairing on his.

celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1342
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
This is the bike of an Italian fellow, very artistic guy that I knew on line. He made some cool changes to his R1200R. He had a carbon fiber spacer under the roundel which I thought was cool.

celticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #1343
FredRydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticus View Post
...He had a carbon fiber spacer under the roundel which I thought was cool....
That looks reminiscent of the Z series roundels that owners were installing in place of R1150R roundels, and wired the lens to the turn signal circuits. I never saw one in person, but posts were in the old www.R1150R.net forum.

Fred

Old 12-04-2013, 01:19 AM   #1344
Jalopy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
That looks reminiscent of the Z series roundels that owners were installing in place of R1150R roundels, and wired the lens to the turn signal circuits. I never saw one in person, but posts were in the old www.R1150R.net forum.

Fred

Nice cross-reference!

Are they really wiring through the fuel tank?
Jalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #1345
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
What hand guards are those?

Thanks,

Rick G

PS Nice bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I've had my barkbusters on for a year now, maybe a bit more ... love 'em for keeping hands warmer and dryer. Plus, IMHO they are not too much of a distraction to the bikes lines. YMMV

What he said, and thanks!

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:06 AM   #1346
FredRydr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalopy View Post
Are they really wiring through the fuel tank?
No, through the covers for the oil coolers. Have a look at a photo of an R1150R and you'll see the roundels are not attached to the steel fuel tank like they are on the R1100R and R1200R.

Fred
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 AM   #1347
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

...that's just what they are, car roundel marker lights. Popular 'want-to' mod for the R11S but tricky to accomplish. Lighted on the R12R tank would be near improbable...

Old 12-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1348
FredRydr

BMW R****R Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
Lighted on the R12R tank would be near improbable...
Well, if you're unwilling to drill a hole for a wire, there's always an LED with a button cell. But I'm not that nuts. :-)

Fred
Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #1349
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by comac90 View Post
Gillus-
I'm 5'11", longer torso and run with a custom seat at 32". The air hits me right at my clavicles and shoulders. The air is smooth to a degree (much smoother than the BMW fly screen I was running). I notice if I 'sit tall', totally straight back, the little turbulence that is there decreases to almost nothing.

I wear an Arai XD4 and Shoei RF1100 and both get slight turbulence when I don't "sit tall". I can wear the Shoei up to 70mph without earplugs for short distances, but forget it with the XD - it's so loud it's painful. That said, I get more low frequency 'booming' with the RF1100 and with earplugs, both helmets are very comfortable. I've done multi-hour days with both.

What struck me a little odd is that, with the Wunderlich installed, I get some side-to-side torso wind buffeting when I wear my BMW Club Jacket with only a t-shirt or thin layer underneath. I don't get that with my Rallye Pro 3 or Airshell. If I layer up under the Club, then it's minimized. I have an XD3 with the visor and the gap to relieve the air flow under the visor roars terrible, hope your finger across the top sometime. Nice sunshade tho.

Overall, I find the fairing quieter than the fly screen or no screen.

Hope hat helps-
T
Yes it does, Thanks. I am thinking any screen with an abrupt edge and not a smooth roll over or smooth air flow will cause turbulence and it hits in the wrong place in the wrong way. Your coats may be different thickness or slightly tighter fit to avoid any looseness that could flap in the wind.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #1350
comac90
Rule #76

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillus View Post
Your coats may be different thickness or slightly tighter fit to avoid any looseness that could flap in the wind.
You're right, they are different thicknesses and different fits but, the only motorcycle on which I get side-to-side turbulence wearing any of my jackets is with the Club & t-shirt on the R12R with the Wunderlich. That doesn't happen on any of the other bikes wearing the Club jacket or any other jacket - that includes the WR, the GSA, or the R12R with/without the fly screen. So, it has to have something to do with the jacket fit PLUS the way the air flows around the Wunderlich. It is what it is I'd buy the fairing (and the jacket ;) ) again in a second.