User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #1351
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Oddometer: 16
20130 R12R heated grip software conflict

I've been having an intermittent problem with my heated grips not turning on. I have the 2013 R12R. So I took it into the dealer yesterday which was excellent timing because BMW had just released a bulletin basically stating that 2013 R12R's without ESA are having a software conflict with heated grips. The workaround, until they reprogram the software, is as follows. Turn the ignition on, wait 3 seconds. Then start the bike. Then turn the heated grips on. If something happens and they fail to work, re power cycle the bike (turn it off, turn the grips off, follow the above instructions). The workaround has been fine for me. I also noticed that the dashboard light shut off while I am idling in traffic a couple times, then starts up again as soon as I apply throttle. Unknown if that is related.
BluBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1352
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post
I've been having an intermittent problem with my heated grips not turning on. I have the 2013 R12R. So I took it into the dealer yesterday which was excellent timing because BMW had just released a bulletin basically stating that 2013 R12R's without ESA are having a software conflict with heated grips. The workaround, until they reprogram the software, is as follows. Turn the ignition on, wait 3 seconds. Then start the bike. Then turn the heated grips on. If something happens and they fail to work, re power cycle the bike (turn it off, turn the grips off, follow the above instructions). The workaround has been fine for me. I also noticed that the dashboard light shut off while I am idling in traffic a couple times, then starts up again as soon as I apply throttle. Unknown if that is related.
Interesting... occasionally, the heated grips on my 2011 occasionally don't come on. I generally leave the switch on all the time in the winter, and once or twice a month I'll fire up the bike, hit the road, and then down the road a piece notice that the heated grips aren't on. Flipping the switch on and off doesn't do anything, but killing the bike and starting it again does. I keep meaning to ask the folks at SF BMW, but keep forgetting. Did the mention if the bulletin is 2013-only? This sounds like a very similar issue.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #1353
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Freddy at BMW SF showed me the bulletin and it was dated Dec. 2, 2013... And now I'm wondering if it impacted more models than just the '13 R.

Sent from my iFingertips
Old 12-04-2013, 09:23 PM   #1354
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluBeast View Post
Freddy at BMW SF showed me the bulletin and it was dated Dec. 2, 2013... And now I'm wondering if it impacted more models than just the '13 R.
Sounds like I need to go talk to Freddy. And I was just in there last week! Thanks for the heads up.
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:26 PM   #1355
BluBeast
Urban nomad

Let me know if anything else got ensnared in the fault code....like dashboard lighting!

Sent from my iFingertips
Old 12-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #1356
imeny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
F**k wunderlich trophy fairing

http://japan.webike.net/ps/180+gener...ic+bikini+cowl

Check this link. I know that this fit to Honda VTR250 and it's cost 17$.

Worth to try...
imeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1357
andy57
quiet one

Oddometer: 123
Yes it say if you add $487.50 or more shipping is free LOL
BMWMOA #155500

1st John 4: 7,8
andy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #1358
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
So, I'm sure this question has been asked before but since I'm too lazy to search I'll ask again:

Between the Roadster and the Rockster, which one do folks here like better? Reason I ask is that there are examples of both available in my area, price and mileage are similar.

From what I've seen the differences are primarily cosmetic, except that the Rockster has a lower 6th gear, a slightly different suspension, different clocks, a somewhat more aggressive riding position with lower bars, and steel braided cables. Frames and tanks appear the same between both models.

I'm a bit torn because on the one hand, I like the "classic" look of the big, single headlight on the Roadster. OTOH, the Rockster has a very unique and sporty look, and I know it was only made for - what, two years? (03 and 04 I think?) but more importantly, the steel braided cables (apparently upgrading the cables to steel is a common first mod?) Never owned a BMW before, so I'm just wondering.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #1359
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount a couple of Rotopax 1.75 or 2 gallon containers (one for fuel and one for water). I don't like the idea of mounting them to the BMW system cases - it may not even be possible.

So far, the best I have come up with is to fashion (custom build) a bracket that will attach to the rear luggage rack and extend forward over the pillion seat (I have a BMW 1-piece comfort seat). I think there is enough room to mount two Rotopax end-to-end on top of the rack. I can then strap a duffel back on top of the Rotopax.

The only other alternative would be to get a top box and mount the Rotopax to the sides of the top box. But that would move the weight of teh fuel & water much higher and further back.

Any thoughts or other ideas?
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #1360
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
I'm trying to figure out the best location to mount a couple of Rotopax 1.75 or 2 gallon containers (one for fuel and one for water). I don't like the idea of mounting them to the BMW system cases - it may not even be possible.

So far, the best I have come up with is to fashion (custom build) a bracket that will attach to the rear luggage rack and extend forward over the pillion seat (I have a BMW 1-piece comfort seat). I think there is enough room to mount two Rotopax end-to-end on top of the rack. I can then strap a duffel back on top of the Rotopax.

The only other alternative would be to get a top box and mount the Rotopax to the sides of the top box. But that would move the weight of teh fuel & water much higher and further back.

How about stacking the two rotopax cans on top of each other and putting a duffle over that?

I've been running RotoPax 3 gallon cans on my SUV for two years now for long desert camping trips. No fancy rack mount, either: I just put them on the roof rack and strap them in with shortened ratchet straps that run into the center mounting hole of the RotoPax can. Ratchet it down tight and I just have a piece of cardboard under the ratchet strap buckle to keep it from rubbing on the can. My cans mount flat and I've never leaked so much as a drop, even when temps ranged from the low 40's to the mid 90's in Moab.

This isn't a great picture but you can see the cans on my roof rack:

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #1361
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
Strap a fuel bladder onto the pillion seat.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #1362
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I thought about both of these suggestions:

1) Stacking 2-high - I'm concerned about overloading the luggage rack with 30 lbs. BMW says no more than 10 lbs. And securing the rotopax to the pillion only could be difficult.

2) Fuel bladder - I have looked into auxilary tanks plumbed to the main. But my service tech has tried to steer me away from that option do to "safety" issues, and has refused to drill and install a tap in the main. I may come back to this if I cannot make the rotopax option work.

In any event, I'll think about both of these ideas some more.

Thanks
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #1363
grandkodiak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Stock tires for 03 BMW R1150R?

Anyone know what shipped from the dealer on an '03 BMW r1150r?

Second, assuming you already own one of these or similiar, is there something better that people are using? Ride year round in NJ so we see 0-105 degrees F in the course of a year but I normally ride 35-90 degrees average, on small occassions in rain but mostly dry roads, however they are in awefull condition in NJ so I see potholes that can eat a lama, sand, gravel bits, truck tires... the works lol.

General consensus looks like Michelin Pilot Road 3s might be a gread sport touring tire?

grandkodiak screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 01:11 PM
grandkodiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #1364
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,177
Do not fill a bladder to maximum capacity.

Just pour fuel if needed (likely an occasional occurrence) rather than trying to plumb spare fuel.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #1365
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Well another option might be to mount the fuel to the rack (2 gallons of gas shouldn't be more than 15lbs) and put the water inside one of the side cases. It wouldn't take up that much room, and the weight would be low.

Just curious but where are you going that you need all this extra fuel and water? IIRC the 1150R has a ~5.5 gallon tank, yes? Should be good for at least 200 miles unless your MPG is absolutely terrible, and 250 should not be out of the question (figuring 50 MPG and a .5 gallon reserve.)

I guess I have a different perspective coming off of relatively short-range bikes. The longest range I ever got from a bike was in my Scrambler, if I rode fairly slow I could get to about 160 before hitting reserve pretty reliably. A few times I was able to get more than 170 miles to reserve, but I never would count on that (for planning purposes I always figured 150 miles max between fuel stops.) And even living in the arid West where gas stations can be few and far between, I've never felt the need to carry extra fuel.