Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #1441
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Keep them coming.

So far I kind of like the Wolfman Explorer Lite. I had an RKA on my GS and liked it. But, I had a bad run in with the owner at the BMW National over his rain covers which he charges you for and don't even keep out the morning dew. Sorry Rant over.

I also have to look more closely at the ones that attach to the gas ring.

Happy Holidays!

Rick G
Not uncommon for condensation to form under the rain cover, or even in the map pocket, on any tank bag.

Paul
Old 12-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #1442
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post

I also have to look more closely at the ones that attach to the gas ring.
Rick,
I have had my Bags Connection Engage for quite a while and love it. This bag fits everything I need + more, and the accessory map bag attaches easily and securely - and shows a double-page view of any roadmap. The lines of this bag don't really 'quite' fit the tank lines, but it is only noticeable at a low-side view. The raincover included covers securely, and will also cover it completely if you have the map pouch attached ... ridden all damn day in the rain and never had an issue. Also - the zip opening on the map pocket is longer than the end of the bag, so it is easy to pull pages.

Some shots from my install:

I'll have to look for a better shot showing the raincover on over the map pouch ... but you can see it a bit here (note the clear panel to view the map):
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:15 AM   #1443
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Also...

I forgot to mention that it will hold a 6-pack ... though a 4 fits better

Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #1444
celticus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticus View Post
I love my BMW tank bag. I have had it since 07 so it is worn and I have had the zippers repaired but it is built better than any others I have seen. It needs no rain cover. I reckon if I were going to buy an other brand it would be a Wolfman.
Did I mention that the BMW bag need no rain cover and is super well built?
celticus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #1445
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Congrats on the new ride. Got it just before the cold eh? Was that one on CL locally?
Yup, the yellow one that was in the Fort Collins CL.

I looked at the Rockster that was in Denver for the same asking price ($4k) but it was night and day. The rockster was stored outside, no battery tender, scratches on the case from a low-speed low-side, busted and scratched up system cases, wires hanging down from some botched accessory addition, no current title or registration, and the owner wouldn't start it for me because it was too cold.

By contrast, the Fort Collins bike was pristine, gorgeous, stored in a nice garage next to 3 other bikes, had properly wired accessories, included extras like the bar-backs and extra footpegs, had all the original paperwork and the original manual, and I was even able to talk him down a few hundred bucks from his asking price. Only glitch in the deal was that it was advertised as a 2004 (which would have been a twin-spark) but it was actually a 2002 single-spark.

Don't care though as the Dakar Yellow/Ferro Gray color combo is by far my favorite. I also prefer the dash layout of the R vs the Rockster.

Quote:
I too was thinking there was different seat options. I have ridden my buddy's R1150 and I find myself cramped on it (6'2" 35" inseam). Will be curious to see what you find and do with yours. I really want to trade my Triumph S4 for an R of some sort. I like the looks of the 1100 also. Of course if I had the money, a 1200 would be my first pick. Thanks all for posting pics of your lovely bikes!
I'll post up whatever I figure out. Right now I just need to put more miles on the bike so I can figure out what I need to do before the real "riding season" starts.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #1446
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
Yup, the yellow one that was in the Fort Collins CL.

I looked at the Rockster that was in Denver for the same asking price ($4k) but it was night and day. The rockster was stored outside, no battery tender, scratches on the case from a low-speed low-side, busted and scratched up system cases, wires hanging down from some botched accessory addition, no current title or registration, and the owner wouldn't start it for me because it was too cold.

By contrast, the Fort Collins bike was pristine, gorgeous, stored in a nice garage next to 3 other bikes, had properly wired accessories, included extras like the bar-backs and extra footpegs, had all the original paperwork and the original manual, and I was even able to talk him down a few hundred bucks from his asking price. Only glitch in the deal was that it was advertised as a 2004 (which would have been a twin-spark) but it was actually a 2002 single-spark.

Don't care though as the Dakar Yellow/Ferro Gray color combo is by far my favorite. I also prefer the dash layout of the R vs the Rockster.

I'll post up whatever I figure out. Right now I just need to put more miles on the bike so I can figure out what I need to do before the real "riding season" starts.
Good deal! Ya, that poor Rockster is a mess eh? Maybe for $2500 and sort it all, but not for the price he is asking- Well, no title either? Good luck with that sale.

Have fun with the Beakster- nice color for sure. They are a blast to ride and cruise on. I put some fair miles on my buddies even two up with my wife and son (not at the same time ) and it was comfortable other that the seat for me- like you said, tank crotch crushing! I'll own one one day.

Oh, and some pics from a local ride we did up in the hills. We all need more pics when winter hits...

Old 12-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1447
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto View Post
Good deal! Ya, that poor Rockster is a mess eh? Maybe for $2500 and sort it all, but not for the price he is asking- Well, no title either? Good luck with that sale.
He had a title, but it was from another state. Still, that means paying back registration fees, getting a VIN inspection, etc. It also tells me the bike hasn't been ridden, and, being stored outside in our recent cold weather with no battery tender, I'll bet the battery is dead, too.

Honestly, it was a decent bike for maybe $3k, but it was one of those things where I was afraid to make him a low-ball offer because I thought he might take it and I don't need a "project", I need a bike I can ride.

Quote:

Oh, and some pics from a local ride we did up in the hills. We all need more pics when winter hits...

Hey, how do you like your S4? Kind of a rare bike. I always thought it would be a great all-around 'town' bike. I have owned two Hinckley Triumphs, an 01 Thunderbird triple and an 08 Scrambler. Even though I'm not on a Triumph anymore I currently ride with the local RAT group, we do some great rides in the area. PM or email if you're interested in getting in touch with them.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #1448
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Not really sure where best to ask this question, but this thread is frequented by R1200R owners, I expect.

I have a ride from Chapel Hill, NC to Oakland, CA that I plan to start next week (probably Monday). I have around 7 days or so, plan on mostly 500 mile days, I'll push farther if I feel like it, and no real set time to arrive in California.

The problem: I have around 4400 miles on the clock right now. Should I get valves done now, before I leave NC, or try and schedule something on the road and introduce a morning on a couch at a dealer halfway through my trip (San Antonio, most likely)?

I changed the oil around 1500-2k miles. The trip is about 3000 miles based on my route, and 7400 miles seems too late for the 6k mile service, doesn't it?
Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 AM   #1449
Omarius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Not really sure where best to ask this question, but this thread is frequented by R1200R owners, I expect.

I have a ride from Chapel Hill, NC to Oakland, CA that I plan to start next week (probably Monday). I have around 7 days or so, plan on mostly 500 mile days, I'll push farther if I feel like it, and no real set time to arrive in California.

The problem: I have around 4400 miles on the clock right now. Should I get valves done now, before I leave NC, or try and schedule something on the road and introduce a morning on a couch at a dealer halfway through my trip (San Antonio, most likely)?

I changed the oil around 1500-2k miles. The trip is about 3000 miles based on my route, and 7400 miles seems too late for the 6k mile service, doesn't it?
I would try and not introduce unnecessary variables on the trip.
Omarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #1450
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post

or try and schedule something on the road and introduce a morning on a couch at a dealer halfway through my trip (San Antonio, most likely)?

The engine has to be cold for a valve check so it should be an overnighter or a long nap on the couch for it to cool to get that done.
If it had the 600 mile service then again at 2000 and all the fluids were changed you should be ok. The newer camhead engine rarely needs valve adjustments from my experience if the valves are your only concern. Ask your dealer for piece of mind and do it when you get home.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #1451
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
R1200R owner here.

My valves were checked and not in need of adjustment at 6K, this is common apparently.

You changed your oil and it's recommended to be changed every 6k, so that's good. Bring extra oil with you to top off however, these boxer engines use it for quite a while till they break in.

Maybe check dealerships along your route and plan on a service along your route?

S.F. BMW is a good shop, just over the bridge on 6th and Brannon.

In any event, I am jealous. Enjoy your trip.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #1452
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
R1200R owner here.

My valves were checked and not in need of adjustment at 6K, this is common apparently.

You changed your oil and it's recommended to be changed every 6k, so that's good. Bring extra oil with you to top off however, these boxer engines use it for quite a while till they break in.

Maybe check dealerships along your route and plan on a service along your route?

S.F. BMW is a good shop, just over the bridge on 6th and Brannon.

In any event, I am jealous. Enjoy your trip.
Thanks all for the advice - I think I'll have the full 6k service done before I leave (early, at 4.5k) just to be on the safe side. This means I will be free to adjust distances day by day as I see fit. Plus, stop and go commutes in the freezing cold we've had the last few months probably counts as heavy duty, anyway, so fresh oil can't hurt. I was in the habit of checking oil levels daily for the first couple months I had the bike but I really don't see much oil use - I'll keep an eye on it on the road. There are plenty of dealers from here to San Antonio - however, there are about 450 miles of dead zone between San Antonio and El Paso, though, I guess that's just how Texas is?

I just wired up my SAE plug for my heated vest and test-fit my powerlet accessory plug for GPS power (probably going to route that under the tank and twist-tie it to the bars, or route it alongside my tank bag so I can just pop off the whole deal at once. Too bad my calsci medium screen didn't work out (not tall enough, and no time to get a taller screen), or the bike would be a total touring conversion - not too many bikes can go from pack mule to sex machine in 15 minutes like the R1200R can.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #1453
Starstruck
Zoner

Oddometer: 45
I had the 6k service on my R1200R done at 7k while on a long road trip without any problems. I called the dealer ahead of time and they knew I was on a trip. I brought the bike in at 8:30am and was on the road by noon with only minor valve adjustments needed. If you have a trusted dealer, you can ask them for a recommendation on who to go to along your route and you can call in advance. (BTW - I've always been very happy with the service at BMW Motorcycles of Ventura County if you're coming through SoCal.)

And yes, be sure to bring plenty of oil - finding quality motorcycle oil in the desert southwest can, at times, be challenging.

Another thing you might consider is that you may be due for new tires (my OEM's lasted about 8k miles) by the end of your trip. One advantage of doing the service at the 6-7k mark is to see whether you need new tires and, if so, you can get them done at the same time. I replaced the OEM's with Michelin Road Pilot 3s at 8k miles and I still can't believe the improved performance.

Have a fun trip - sounds like a great ride!

Starstruck screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 01:46 PM
Starstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:22 PM   #1454
Snapping Twig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
So true!

I tossed my B-21 OEM's at 6k for a set of PR3's.

Mine still had a few thousand left in them, but they never felt right and I didn't trust 'em.

PR3's are exponentially better and that's no baloney.
Snapping Twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #1455
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
So true!

I tossed my B-21 OEM's at 6k for a set of PR3's.

Mine still had a few thousand left in them, but they never felt right and I didn't trust 'em.

PR3's are exponentially better and that's no baloney.
I came from Anakee 2's on my wee strom, so the OEM tires on the R12 feel like magic to me