Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Maliwal OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I haven't even begun to think about gear choices yet, but I've wondered quite a bit about both hammocks and Bivy bags. I'm going to start taking notes here folks, lol.

I haven't even considered shaft drive, as I've only ever played with it once, and that's on Mike's project XJ650. Maintenance doesn't bother me in the least bit; it's sort of a way of life for me and motorcycles That is, if you count 'repair' as 'maintenance'. On that note, I suppose if anyone's interested in that, here's the thread on the last trip we took: You'll see why roadside service doesn't bother me; I'm used to it!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767496

Hell, that reminds me! I'll need new ADV stickers!
Maliwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
JoeWannaB
Usually a nice guy

Oddometer: 1,902
I wouldn't dismiss the KLR 650 so quickly. If you're planning on multiple days of running 6+ hours of constant highway riding at 80+ mph then you'll hate it but if you're routing yourself on 2 lane back roads and just using the freeway to connect the good stuff, then I can't think of a bike (in your $3000) price range that I wouldn't rather be on. Your $3000 bike budget is going to limit you considerably and the KLR is the best choice in that price range. IMHO Get 2 of them so you can carry just one set of spares.

If you do get a KLR650, you could look at getting a 658 upgrade (not a typo) not much displacement change but a lighter piston really smoooths it out. I have 2000 miles on mine after the upgrade and am loving it. Used to burn 1qt every 500 miles at interstate speeds and now I drain the exact oil I put in it. Sounds like a great trip. Wish i had the time to do one. Good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:22 AM   #18
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliwal View Post
I've given a good deal of thought to the maintenance aspect of things; that's one thing I've learned all about so far in my brief motorcycling career, lol. Newest bike is 20 years old, and the others are 30ish. I don't baby them, but hopefully the incredibly overdone maintenance counteracts the abuse... At least somewhat!

The FZ6 does look nice, though I've never seen one in person. However, I drool over the FZ8s at Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino every time I'm in there (so like once or twice a week). I'll do some more reading on them, thanks!

Coloradical, I appreciate the offer! Unfortunately you're nowhere near the planned route or I'd take you up on that. I do want to lean more towards street-oriented, simply for practicality along the larger extent of the voyage. I just worry about scuffing up some pretty little street bike when I decide "Hey, that road doesn't look that bad!" and eat it in rock garden in the middle of nowhere doing something ill-advised because, let's face it, I'm 21 and male. There is a degree of inescapable stupidity which comes with those two factors, and by their powers combined they are quite potent!

If only arranging test rides from dealers was easier (or at least possible!), that would probably help me in the decision-making process. As for other owners... If I was them, I wouldn't let me ride their bike, so I can hardly ask to take it for a quick spin to see what I think.

A KLR was my first thought, actually. Cheap, good reputation (after some mods), etc. However, I've also gathered that they're really buzzy and don't act happy on the freeway. Input? Perhaps a 685 kit? I really don't know much yet; I'm just digging in to this.
Yer not gonna find an FZ8 in the $3K range, but you will find a lot of solid FZ6's.
I had an '96 KLR, and it was alright on the freeways, butt I like the "buzz" 'n top end hit of the I4 more than the "shake" 'n flat torque curve of a single or twin. YMMV
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #19
speedisgood
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
you can find 2006 -- 2008 FZ6 with less than 5k miles on ebay, for 3000. Also, scout craigslist in the large cities in your area. Basically, there are lots of new bikes that have been sitting in peoples garages for years, and need a new owner. I just bought one.

If you buy an older japanese bike with low miles, you should be able to go light on maintenance -- basically oil changes only, skip the valve check, and as long as you are not flogging the thing continuously, your chain should last. I had a chain last on my last DL650 for 40,000kilometers. When I sold the bike at 60000 kilometers, the valves had never been checked. The bike was still running smooth. I did, however change the oil very regularly. To put this another way, if you are planning to light on maintenance, buy japanese.
speedisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738759

Find one person with a complaint about this bike.
They are Boring.

Good bike. Great engine. But UGLY as hell and about as vanilla and uninspiring as it gets.

(I am not alone)
Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #21
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
They are Boring.

Good bike. Great engine. But UGLY as hell and about as vanilla and uninspiring as it gets.

(I am not alone)

That's why I like it, just like me.

Are you sure you were not thinking about this bike.

TrashCan screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 08:16 AM
TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Are you sure you were not thinking about this bike.

That's not a motorcycle. It's a roadside outhouse
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #23
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Suzuki DR350 and a hammock.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
They are Boring.

(I am not alone)
I with Dakez.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #25
discoganya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
How about an FJR?

Maybe a little difficult at $3000, but could be had for a little more. It will make your 15,000 miles MUCH more comfortable.

I highly recommend avoiding a thumper - DR, KLR or XRL - if yo are going to stay on road for 99% of the time.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:03 PM   #26
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Sounds to me like you described a V-Strom 650 or a Versys just about exactly.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (230,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
I read the OP post and the best bike I could think of for a four corners tour with a little light offroading is no doubt a DL650. Interstate is a breeze, two lane highway and curves are very fun on the wee, and as long as you keep it slow off road is OK. Plus it has tons of options for luggage and can be had pretty cheap. I haven't ridden the versys but I'd like to give one a try. However, it looks like it would have less weather protection than the Wee.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #28
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,876
FZ6 - is an outstanding bike. It could do this trip easily. You may want to put a better seat on it though (probably true of any bike).

Kawasaki Versys would be an excellent choice.

Suzuki DL650 is also an outstanding choice. Not sure what you would find for less than $3k though.

Honda Nighthawk 750 could do it easily

Yamaha Seca 650

If you want something bigger, look for a Suzuki GSX1100G - but make sure it's a cherry. These things are big and comfy and have enough motor to eat Detroit. Some even have hard luggage. It would be a pig on a dirt road though.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #29
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Triumph Tiger 800.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #30
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,757
You gonna sell him one for three grand, DAKEZ? In that case, sign me up for one as well.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote