Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryroten View Post
I believe that this question fits the thread; has anyone tried a deer avoidance device like the Hornet, and with any success? I know it is hard to analyze but if such devices help in scaring the deer away then probably worth a try. I know some people call them 'deer attraction devices' but I recall Motorcycle Consumer News doing an evaluation on the Hornet and felt that it was helpful.
After a rather expensive collision between my full size van and a nice buck, bought one of them electronic devices. Waited for the deers to feed in my compost and turned it on from the shop, less that 50' away. One of them lifted his head for a second or two....went right back to eating.

I returned it....!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #32
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,501
Scrub off as much speed as possible while going straight. Make contact with a deer while turning/swerving you are almost assured of crashing. (I will never attempt to swerve around a deer)
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #33
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Once in a blue moon deer will turn around if startled, but usually they keep going straight across the road. Aiming for the ass is good technique, the odds are in your favor. I always see deer run forwards, seldom backwards.
Gonzoso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
verge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I smacked one

I live in deer country and have hit one in my truck and one on my bike. I should say they hit me. Both occasions the deer have ran into the side of me. Both times were at dusk before the sun was above the mountains. I had almost no warning either time. I have had a ton of them run out in front of me even in broad daylight. My are not very afraid of humans so the hang out near the roads a lot. Deer whistles dont work. The bummer is that all my favorite roads and trails are where the dear live. Smacking one with your bike at 75mph will make you more allert next time. I broke my tib and fib but kept the bike off the ground. I was lucky. Keep your head on a swivel, day or night when riding any place the deer may live.
verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:58 AM   #35
Truckin_Thumper
low profile

Oddometer: 28,466
Ride faster! Seriously.

Think about this, deer only haul ass when startled, right?
So go faster....BUT have a quiet bike (i.e exhaust). When I would ride around in deer country of MT, ID, SD,OR, etc. I noticed if I ride slower and more cautious, the deer would dart out in front of me.
I started to speed up a bit more, I noticed they would start to move later in my passing, so I went even faster. They did not have the reaction time to jump out in front of me.

There is nothing in the middle of the road for them to eat, sniff, etc., and they sure as hell ain't making Bambi on the yellow line. They are usually just off the side of the road. Unless you have knobbies, they are not where you are, so just pin the bike and have fun.

I have done this in many heavily deer populated areas, and it is neat to watch their faces when you zoom by at 80 mph. "WTF!!" is how they look.

Now this is not a process for everyone, so take it with a grain of salt. I grew up where forest creatures roamed and ruled.

ok, flame on......and yes I am serious.
Truckin_Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #36
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,383
Hum salt!....up here they certainly like the middle of the road. Licking residual road salt....they like. Lots of cracks in my local roads for the salt to accumulate, sometimes just outside of a blind curve...!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 AM   #37
BCKRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
I've read too many "deer threads" to think there is any universal answer. There are just WAY to many deer in almost all parts of North America. Hell, in British Columbia, Canada where I live there are reports of small dogs being killed by deer within small cities while being walked by their owner!

There is a lot of good advice on how to REDUCE your chances of hitting a deer with your car or bike.Let me summarize it: 1. Don't ride from dusk until dawn. The deer are more active then and much harder to see. In a car, use your cruise control set to 50 mph. Hit a deer at that speed in a modern car and you will probably be OK. Maybe not if you are going 65. 2. When forest or brush is close to the road - slow down. 3. October through December is mating season and these dumb animals are at their dumbest. Use even more care during daylight hours if you are riding in these months. 4. When you see a deer at the side of the road, brake hard. The ones that carry on the gene pool will stay there. But they have many suicidal brothers and sisters. 5. If a deer crosses the road well ahead of you, get on the brakes. High chance more will follow. 6. If you have a chance to aim the bike before maximum breaking, aiming for the butt makes sense. 7. There are too many reports of deer running into the SIDE of bikes and other vehicles. Nothing you can do about that.

A friend and his wife were struck by a deer crashing into them after leaving a "breakfast ride" a couple years ago. This was in May and at mid-day, not one of the dangerous times or months. They both recovered from their injuries, but that ended her career as a pillion rider.

Besides deer, Canada geese and mallard ducks have increased 100 fold since I moved to B.C.in 1970.

I think the only answer to the species that have increased beyond their own good is licensed market hunting. And I don't think that will happen. Most likely disease will eventually reduce the numbers to a low number. And I think that is sad.
BCKRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 AM   #38
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCKRider View Post
I've read too many "deer threads" to think there is any universal answer.
^ This.

I was riding open country mid-day in MT once. Saw a group of five deer off to the right about a quarter mile ahead of me. I slowed down and, sure enough, despite seeing me on the road, they ran right down the bank and across the highway right in front of me.

The only predictable thing about deer is that they're unpredictable.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote