User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Good price on a Chang Jiang?

Ok, I have found a reasonably priced airhead engine and a willing mechanic (who worked with scooter Bob when he was in business ). Now only for an worn out CJ750. I am currently looking at a number of Changs Stateside right now and a few of them have engine problems or well on their way for mechanical failure. Even with that fact the price for them has been at very least an expensive proposition, less the fact for a musical university student . For these less than stellar bikes in both physically and mechanically what do you think is a good price to haggle down too?

BTW: they all have titles
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #2
davebig
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,320
Hmmm!

Nobody seems to want to venture an opinion, what's that about ? I believe if I was doing a airhead conversion I would at least start with a Ural. The only CJ conversation I've ever had was with an old airhead mechanic who implied they were junk and the metallurgy was far poorer than the Russian stuff .DB
Old 02-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Orgoth225 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
True the metallurgy is terrible but there is no replacement for the look that a Chang has, sure you can go with k750 but still I just love that plunger suspension. I know that it will require much work such as changing all of the bearings and buying better springs, but hey I'm a college student, a long term project is something I can deal with for the next few years...
Orgoth225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
oppozit
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgoth225 View Post
True the metallurgy is terrible but there is no replacement for the look that a Chang has, sure you can go with k750 but still I just love that plunger suspension. I know that it will require much work such as changing all of the bearings and buying better springs, but hey I'm a college student, a long term project is something I can deal with for the next few years...
A CJ is worth as much as you're prepared to pay for it. Originally they were built by one company but over the years several companies built them, some far better than others. Now they are being rebuilt by dozens of companies and the results are even more varied.

There is one for sale http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1386 asking price $3,000. Is it worth it? Well it's got a title so that's a start. Or go to http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...angexperience/ and look for bikes being sold.

You could buy an M-72, M-72M or M-72N, but they'll end up costing more than a CJ. As to the quality, sometimes it's superior to Ural's quality. Read http://bcozz.multiply.com/journal/it...-Jiang-project

With a post '70 airhead you have to modify the gearbox to fit or make up an adaptor plate which then involves other modifications. And you definitely need to improve the brakes!
oppozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
Thermos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
There is a guy on the soviet steeds site with a CJ in nice shape, 5,500 or best offer I believe.

-T
Thermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,277
Not enough things to fix on an airhead chassis,you gotta have a Chang Jiang? And actually spend $ for one..........

As long as it has the right look.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
gspell68
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgoth225 View Post
Ok, I have found a reasonably priced airhead engine and a willing mechanic (who worked with scooter Bob when he was in business ). Now only for an worn out CJ750. I am currently looking at a number of Changs Stateside right now and a few of them have engine problems or well on their way for mechanical failure. Even with that fact the price for them has been at very least an expensive proposition, less the fact for a musical university student . For these less than stellar bikes in both physically and mechanically what do you think is a good price to haggle down too?

BTW: they all have titles
Just saw one for $3K somewhere here recently. Be right back...

Found it... http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1386

It's gonna be hard to find anything much cheaper that isn't a total basket case (thanks in part to rising Ural prices).
gspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote