Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,568
Harley guys - Xied

anyone running these?

Sounds like a decent alternative to tuner and remap.
I've got a 2012 FLD.
Looking to add a slipon first, and a AC in the future.

Not sure if the Xieds will suffice,
or I should pick up the variable Vieds

Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 187
I plugged in a FL-Xied-10 set the first day on my 2012 FLHR, ran them without trouble or complaint the first 1000 miles on my completely stock bike. Removed them when I purchased a Dynojet Power Vision and a couple other up-grades. If I hadn't made changes at 1000 miles, I would still run the FL-Xied-10.

YouTube Channel
Video Blog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Get a screaming Eagle race tuner and have the values in your ECU adjusted (remapped) Then put the race tuner back in the box and save it for next time you make a change.

This way there is nothing on the bike that wasn't there before... Nothing spliced in to trick the system that might be susceptible to heat/vibration.

If you don't have a good tunrer in your area you can purchase a map from Mike Stegmann at Team Latus. Google him up.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
flipr
Scofflaw

Oddometer: 187
Dynojet Power Vision isn't spliced on. You can flash the ecm with new program and remove the tuner. Original factory map is stored in tuner, you can restore stock map at anytime, doesn't leave a footprint. (ECM appears stock after restoring original map.)

Power Vision has self/auto tune capabilities that require connection to ecm until auto tune is completed. Power Vision can be mounted to bike and connected if you want to monitor the engine, but isn't necessary for simply flashing the ecm. Power Vision reads and clears fault codes.

Fuel Moto provides custom PV maps as well as the Power Vision tuner.

YouTube Channel
Video Blog
flipr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #5
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Old 12-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
0ldhippie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 578
Nothing beats a real tuner and proper tune.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ldhippie View Post
Nothing beats a real tuner and proper tune.
How very true! But you can rack up a substantial bill with the needed dyno time. If your just doing the basics (pipe/air filter) and want to adjust EFI mixtures and not looking for the last few hp/tq then this is the best bang for the buck IMO: http://www.patriotpipes.com/controller.html
Old 12-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,568
Jeezaloo tho, that powervision is $469
SERT is $250
Xied $100

Whats the benefit of the PV?

I'm not looking for top performance numbers,
well I mean I'd like them but can't afford it.
I want to switch out my pipe,
(because seriously have you heard a stock switchback?)
and would like to eliminate the stock lean conditions too.
Going to get rid of that AC at some point,
but that's mostly a cosmetic call
and may be pushed to the wayside for a bit.

I'm crazy new to this crap.
I'm a carb guy for sure.

Any help appreciated.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #9
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post

The Patriot Top Fuler(PTF) is the exact product you need at this time with your proposed systematic upgrades. Yes I use them on all my bikes that they are available for. Here is a good link that may help: http://www.xr1200ownersgroup.com/sit...ht=instruction

These things are pretty much idiot proof.

MitchG screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 06:52 PM
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
Juan Loboe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Xieds eliminated 90 percent or more of the nagging ping associated with the stock set-up on my 2012 Ultra. A tuner and a good map could do more, I know.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #11
Scrivens
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I put them on my stock 07 Sportster 883 and they work very well. Prior to the XiED 14s the bike really didn't like running below about 60kmh in 3rd, 80 in 4th and 100 in top and vibrated badly over 110kmh when the throttle was opened up. With the XiEDs it immediately ran a lot smoother, 4th was useable around town and top was smooth over about 85kmh. I then put on a set of SE2 exhausts that I had made some new (slightly more restrictive) baffles for and did the air filter conversion. It is now very smooth, top is OK from about 70kmh, no lugging or shaking etc, it is smooth at 120 and runs to about 140kmh before the vibes start kicking in again. Plug colour is fine, fuel mileage is slightly better as it is now happier in higher gears at lower speeds and it has made the bike a lot nicer to ride. I have a tacho on mine and it is smooth in 4th and top from 2000rpm up, and will accelerate from those revs without any lugging. They only affect the closed loop fuelling, but that's where the engine spends a lot of time. Worth a try for $100 and you can always sell them on if you don't like them.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,915
SERT,TTS or Thundermax and a proper dyno tune by a reputable tech. None of them cheap but neither was the bike. All the others are simply piggybacks that eventually cause problems or fail altogether. If you have to save and put off the pipes do it. The reward is worth the wait.

The paradigm of "why do it right when I can do it cheap" is a false economy. They run so much better with the O2 sensors and a proper tune. Performance is far more than a big peak HP number on a chart.

Why buy a top shelf bike and cheap it out? I'll never understand that.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
cycleman2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
anyone running these?

Sounds like a decent alternative to tuner and remap.
I've got a 2012 FLD.

I have the non adjustable XIED on my 08 Heritage, so I can't comment on the adjustable ones. Bike is completely stock. What they basically do is move the AFR to 13.8 to 1 from 14.7 to1, when the engine is running in closed loop, which is the area after idle until about 3/4 throttle. They don't affect anything else. They are a simple plug & play device that fits into the harness from the 02 Sensor to the ECM. They trick the ECM to adding more fuel while its running in closed loop. If you think back to your carb days the 13.8 to 1 mixture was the best overall street setup for power and fuel economy. ( this was before the EPA started leaning things out)

They are hard to beat for the price. They do work, and improve roll on throttle & drive ability. Plug color is better. I never noticed any change in gas mileage with the XIED's installed.

I noticed the biggest difference when I put in NGK Iridium plugs along with the XIED. It made the bike come alive and really gives it some jump. Search out Iridium and Harley on the web and there is some info on running these plugs. They ( Iridium plugs ) do affect how the Delphi ignition system works, its basically the same as installing Harley's Screaming Eagle plugs. What's happening is the Delphi ignition system is designed to run with the stock Harley plug and nothing else, so it expects to find a certain reading from the plug when an engine knock ( pre-ignition ) is happening and it will retard the timing. With the Iridium or any other plug they operate at a fixed 5K ohm resistance and that will affect how the ignition system works.

I think the XIED's for the price and ease of installation etc are really the way to go. I would even try them and the Iridium plugs together before you did anything else. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised. Bang for the buck is high for this set up. If you haven't been to the XIED site yet they do have some good info.

Lots of choices out there when you are looking a fuel management systems and good luck in your quest.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM   #14
blk-betty
bam-a-lam

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy View Post
SERT,TTS or Thundermax and a proper dyno tune by a reputable tech. None of them cheap but neither was the bike. All the others are simply piggybacks that eventually cause problems or fail altogether. If you have to save and put off the pipes do it. The reward is worth the wait.

The paradigm of "why do it right when I can do it cheap" is a false economy. They run so much better with the O2 sensors and a proper tune. Performance is far more than a big peak HP number on a chart.

Why buy a top shelf bike and cheap it out? I'll never understand that.
This!

I used the SEPST...newest version of the Screamin Eagle Pro (race version) Super Tuner on '12 Road Glide after swapping the OEM header with catalytic converter to a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 non-cat header with Supertrapp slipons and AE Air Filter kit. The newer version has a SmartTune feature that allows the owner/rider to semi fine-tune after downloading a pre-programmed map based on modifications. The SmartTune allows one to get a better tune than the downloaded map without the cost of a dyno tune and you do as many SmartTune runs as you want. It certainly won't get the same result as a dyno tune but should be much closer to ideal than the pre-programmed download map.

I picked up an '09 XR1200 two months ago and went the less expensive route with the Patriot Top Fueler and while it seems to work well I am having low rpm stall issues. I didn't want to spend too much on this bike but bite the bullet and ordered another SEPST.

I really don't like the idea of a piggy back system and figure I can more accurately tune the XR using the SmartTune function....and the beauty is with either bike if I make more radical changes I can re-tune at any time or just take the bike in for a real dyno tune as long as the dyno operator is familiar with the SEPST.

Hopefully I can re-sell the PTF and recover some of my expenses....but like everything else, if you spend the extra money up front and do it right the first time you usually come out ahead.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Cakeeater
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk-betty View Post
This!

I used the SEPST...newest version of the Screamin Eagle Pro (race version) Super Tuner on '12 Road Glide after swapping the OEM header with catalytic converter to a Fuel Moto 2-1-2 non-cat header with Supertrapp slipons and AE Air Filter kit. The newer version has a SmartTune feature that allows the owner/rider to semi fine-tune after downloading a pre-programmed map based on modifications. The SmartTune allows one to get a better tune than the downloaded map without the cost of a dyno tune and you do as many SmartTune runs as you want. It certainly won't get the same result as a dyno tune but should be much closer to ideal than the pre-programmed download map.

I picked up an '09 XR1200 two months ago and went the less expensive route with the Patriot Top Fueler and while it seems to work well I am having low rpm stall issues. I didn't want to spend too much on this bike but bite the bullet and ordered another SEPST.

I really don't like the idea of a piggy back system and figure I can more accurately tune the XR using the SmartTune function....and the beauty is with either bike if I make more radical changes I can re-tune at any time or just take the bike in for a real dyno tune as long as the dyno operator is familiar with the SEPST.

Hopefully I can re-sell the PTF and recover some of my expenses....but like everything else, if you spend the extra money up front and do it right the first time you usually come out ahead.

Thanks for the info. What are the real-world riding changes with the SEPST in? In most of the harley forums, guys post their dyno sheets...and nothing else. I don't ride a dyno.

Is mpg much different? Pinging? Noticible power? Throttle response.

In my stock 103 2011 the only thing that bugs me is high altitude pinging under moderate throttle...esp. with low grade gas. Going up mountain passes I make sure I use 93 octane. Seems to help.

Cakeeater
Cakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote