Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #1
Zender OP
Inquisitive tinkerer

Oddometer: 93
Enlighten me

Hi all,

During my last trip I came across a serious problem with the lighting on my R1100GS. Every hairpin turn was a guess... I could not see the bends in the dark. Very dangerous, and so I would like something to augment the stock lighting. Mainly in the close proximity flooding direction, but additional distance illumination would also be nice.

But there are so many options that I have no idea where to look. LED is preferred due to longevity. And smallish form factor would be nice as well.

Do you guys have any suggestions?
Zender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,803
I had some Acerbis handguards with LED inserts mounted on my old bike. They were pretty useful at shedding light in an close vicinity arc. It wasn't daylight by any means but it was enough to see the sides of the road and made the light zone that much wider.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,497
That's always a problem, especially for bikes with frame-mounted fairings/headlights. I prefer fork-mounted headlights since they are a little better at illuminating corners since they'll be pointed slightly in the direction of the turn, but I am still definitely familiar with that ominous feeling of not really being able to see through the curve.

The best bike I had for riding at night was actually my old GL1000. After changing out the original sealed-beam for a modern lens with an H4 bulb, that 7" round headlight really threw a lot of lumens down the road, and had a nice wide beam, too.

Back to your question, though, a pair of wide-beam LEDs mounted on the fork legs would help a lot toward being able to see what's off to the side and around the corner. You could even angle them slightly off to the side, but it would probably be wise to test your setup before you use it regularly, since aiming a light to the left (or right if you're in one of those countries ) is a good way to blind oncoming drivers - not really a great idea.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 229
Look through this forum for LED, lots of reports and commentary. Also, webbikeworld.com does light reviews and don't pull their punches.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer: 1,097
And if you look under the Vendor section here, you can find some options that work pretty well for not a lot of $$$

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote