User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,855
Question Cult Bikes

In order to expand my knowledge of this two wheeled addiction, may I pose a question. What bikes either past or present would be considered a "Cult Bike" Like the Yamaha XS 650-long out of production but you can still get any part you would like and they have a very loyal following. Same for the Honda CB 750. Or still in production and keeps selling despite minimal changes.

Thinking these others might qualify
Gold Wing
KLR 650
Hawk GT
Concours
Suzuki GS 500
Sportster

What others have this loyal following?
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
HillbillyNinja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,796
Ninja 250?
“I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage with my books, my family and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give.” -Thomas Jefferson

Tornado Alley Rally, June 10th, 2011!
HillbillyNinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,382
I may have 4 cult bikes?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #4
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,828
I think you have confused 'they made a metric shitload of them' with 'cult bike'. A cult is a small group.

That said, the Hawk GT qualifies. The rest of your list doesn't pass my BS meter.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
Ursa Major
Bemused

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
I think you have confused 'they made a metric shitload of them' with 'cult bike'. A cult is a small group.

That said, the Hawk GT qualifies. The rest of your list doesn't pass my BS meter.
+1

Also the GB500, R80G/S, R90S, that sort of thing. Bikes that were generally made for only a few years in relatively small numbers and have a following (and a price) today that's out of step with very similar siblings of their era. The XLCR qualifies, hard to think of any/many other Sportys that do.
Thirty years from now there will be a huge amount of oil - and no buyers. Oil will be left in the ground. The Stone Age came to an end, not because we had a lack of stones, and the oil age will come to an end not because we have a lack of oil. - Saudi Oil Minister Sheik Yamani, in 2000
Ursa Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:20 PM   #6

Oddometer: 5,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt

I dont know. Its not just about the production numbers. I think the term "cult following" just means that there is a small group of people that are passionate about a particular model regaurdless of how many were made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeflow
conformity makes better taxpayers.
13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #7
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Another Cult Thread. Devil in the Details?

Seems every forum has one.

Have you gone through old skool and Thumpers? Many many bikes are suggested as cult bikes. Can I suggest some rules and categories?

1. No one-offs. The Britten racer is certainly one of the great modern cycle designs. But there are what, 6 of them in the world? A cult is a culture, and a culture suggests a throng at least. So it has to be a regular production bike.

2. There are types that fit for cult bikes, like Tourers, Cafe racers, Brit twins, 2 strokers, well you get the idea. There are certain bikes from types that have a following, either a quirky eccentric one or they have a following because the bike is truly great, either by great stories heritage (a Norton Manx at the Ilse of Man TT is an example) or by its own design's functional greatness, like the BMW Airhead twin, notably the R90S Daytona or the R100GS. It doesn't need to be a classic, for instance I think the Busa is a cult bike. Certainly you can make the case for any BMW GS.

3. No rule is a good one.

Here is my list for today:

Guzzi 1000 LeMans
BMW GS
Any Harley 'Glide
BMW R-series airheads from the 60's to the early 90's (daily riders, these)
Triumph Bonneville/Tiger
Nortons That Run even momentarily
Yamaha LC 350-500 2 strokers
Yamaha RD series 2-smokers
Kwacker Triples
Yamaha Tenere series
Suzuki GS series 1977-82
Connies
Old Wings
The new Kwacker 650 twins-- Brilliant
VStroms
Muench Goliaths
Indian Chief series
Early GSXRs and Ninjas (pre-1990)
400cc Sportsbikes (Yam, Hon in particular)
Bandits
Speed Triples
Monsters
Vespas and scooters like them (certain types, not the whole category)
Vincent twin (Shadow) series

Thoughts?
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSandwich
I dont know. Its not just about the production numbers. I think the term "cult following" just means that there is a small group of people that are passionate about a particular model regaurdless of how many were made.
Ya I'm not looking at raw production numbers at all...else the XS 650 and CB 750 wouldn't be listed. Just a group (internet or otherwise) that is devoted to the particular model. GS500 is a good example, they have a very dedicated following over at gstwin.com And yes I think just about every Guzzi should qualify as well.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
obviously, airheads fit the bill. our cult even has a newsletter.

K75's remind me of a cult bike too though.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
I've had three, and still have one of them...

Vmax...

RD350LC...

CB750...

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM   #11
bisbonian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Yamaha GTS1000

bisbonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #12
Jimmy the Heater OP
Tilting the Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts
Seems every forum has one.

Have you gone through old skool and Thumpers? Many many bikes are suggested as cult bikes. Can I suggest some rules and categories?

1. No one-offs. The Britten racer is certainly one of the great modern cycle designs. But there are what, 6 of them in the world? A cult is a culture, and a culture suggests a throng at least. So it has to be a regular production bike.

2. There are types that fit for cult bikes, like Tourers, Cafe racers, Brit twins, 2 strokers, well you get the idea. There are certain bikes from types that have a following, either a quirky eccentric one or they have a following because the bike is truly great, either by great stories heritage (a Norton Manx at the Ilse of Man TT is an example) or by its own design's functional greatness, like the BMW Airhead twin, notably the R90S Daytona or the R100GS. It doesn't need to be a classic, for instance I think the Busa is a cult bike. Certainly you can make the case for any BMW GS.

3. No rule is a good one.

Here is my list for today:

Guzzi 1000 LeMans
BMW GS
Any Harley 'Glide
BMW R-series airheads from the 60's to the early 90's (daily riders, these)
Triumph Bonneville/Tiger
Nortons That Run even momentarily
Yamaha LC 350-500 2 strokers
Yamaha RD series 2-smokers
Kwacker Triples
Yamaha Tenere series
Suzuki GS series 1977-82
Connies
Old Wings
The new Kwacker 650 twins-- Brilliant
VStroms
Muench Goliaths
Indian Chief series
Early GSXRs and Ninjas (pre-1990)
400cc Sportsbikes (Yam, Hon in particular)
Bandits
Speed Triples
Monsters
Vespas and scooters like them (certain types, not the whole category)
Vincent twin (Shadow) series

Thoughts?
Very good cross section there from High production GSXR's to Muench Goliaths. Thanks for your input!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #13
NativeSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSandwich
to me a cult car (or bike for that matter), is a car that just won't die. You still often see them around while other cars of their vintage are long gone. their designs are usually great, and aesthetics are usually awful. There's a difference between a car that has a following and a cult car. The Porsche 356 has a tremendous following, but its certainly no cult car. The BMW 2002 is a cult car. A 300sl gullwing has a following. The microbus is a cult car. From the outside looking in, nobody can understand what makes the cult car so popular. The cult car is never expensive, but always has a market. All this is debatable, but this is what i think of when I think 'cult car'.
NativeSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:13 PM   #14
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts

Muench Goliaths

Thoughts?
I'd say any Munch bike left is nearly rare enough to exclude it from cult and more a collector.

Z1's, KTM 950's, and BSA Gold Stars could qualify.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,503
I think a cult bike is a bike that was not popular when produced so was not made for too long, but later, after production ended became popular:

Pacific Crest
Hawk GT
GB500