Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #151
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I can't imagine needing taller gearing. Unless the engine (computer) gets smoother at low rpm with time. Lots of shudder below 3500rpm. So basically 6th gear isn't needed if staying near the speed limit. (That's gonna be hard to do!)
Well, mine is long before computers and all that. Carburetors and mechanical bits for me; just enough electronics to spark the plugs, and run the lights and starter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Gearing: I'm running the 14t. front sprocket - it's sad that the bike just didn't come with the 14 from the start. It's much, much happier and 6th gear is actually useable on the freeway.

As an aside, I'm running a flashed chip, Arrow exhaust, open air box, and no flapper and the bike is still a bit gumbly below 3500 rpms. I may at some point drop in a power commander but as of now I can't be bothered. The bike fuels great from 4k on and that's enough for me.

I'm due for my first track day on this bike at Fontana this weekend. Good times! I've a set of Metzler M5's on the bike and they feel really quite good. They really slow the handling down but then again the Monster can be downright twitchy with the wrong tires (Pilot Power Pures really got it twitchy by my standards).
I like the Metzelers as well. I run an M5 on the front, but a Z8 on the rear for better longevity without much sacrifice of traction or safety.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (229,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #152
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
I like the Metzelers as well. I run an M5 on the front, but a Z8 on the rear for better longevity without much sacrifice of traction or safety.

PhilB
Phil, no doubt on the Z8 rear. I'm planning a tour this summer and will likely spoon a set of Z8's on for the duration.

Today though (*well, tomorrow actually) I have a track day to go play with out in Fontana. The M5's are definitely going to get a workout.

That is, if the track is dry enough out...Otherwise I'm prolly not going to get past the "2" on the tire...

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #153
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Good day at the track! I managed to turn a 1:56 at the Fontana AMA track (2.3 miles) - upper mid-pack of the mid group.

Quite respectable given that I haven't done a track day on this bike before, I'm on tires that I haven't ever run before, and I've never actually run this track before either.

I managed to "juuuuust" hit the limiter in 6th on the front straight. No idea what that equates to - I'm guessing around 135?

Anyway, goooood times.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #154
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
Good day at the track! I managed to turn a 1:56 at the Fontana AMA track (2.3 miles) - upper mid-pack of the mid group.

Quite respectable given that I haven't done a track day on this bike before, I'm on tires that I haven't ever run before, and I've never actually run this track before either.

I managed to "juuuuust" hit the limiter in 6th on the front straight. No idea what that equates to - I'm guessing around 135?

Anyway, goooood times.
Sweeeeeet! Stock gearing?

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #155
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,508
Old 02-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #156
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Quote:
Sweeeeeet! Stock gearing?

-1 front.

If I got the drive out of the last corner I could take 600's on the straight and I was, relative to my group, quicker handling all the way around.

Good times!

Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #157
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 PM   #158
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Hey guys, check this out. I've got an 01 S4, the 916 powered one. It's for sale in the classifieds, so far, I've had one guy leave his deposit and not buy the bike, didn't even look at it. I've had more than 6 people make me offers that I've accepted, that never showed up at my house. I had a guy come, buy it, and start griping about the oil leak, which I've openly told everyone about in the ad, so I gave him his money back. It's going into the shop tomorrow, to get the leak sorted.

Now you Monster guys know that a cherry S4 goes for anywhere from $5000-$7500. A real cherry. Mine is not a cherry bike. And I'll let it go for $3000. It is a great runner though, and has never let me down, I've owned it for 5 1/2 years. You guys all know this bike is a bunch faster than any of the air cooled ones. Even the 1100.

I posted this here because you Monster guys congregate here. Even if you don't want one for your everyday ride (it was mine for 4 years), the deal is good enough to have it as a spare bike anyway.
'
To tell you the truth, the guy I gave the money back to, didn't know what he was getting. The estimate to fix the oil leak is $80. I was quite surprised by that, I was expecting $300 or more. But for the money, this is a lot of bike.

Someone come and get it.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #159
JoeDuck
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Hey guys, check this out. I've got an 01 S4, the 916 powered one. It's for sale in the classifieds, so far, I've had one guy leave his deposit and not buy the bike, didn't even look at it. I've had more than 6 people make me offers that I've accepted, that never showed up at my house. I had a guy come, buy it, and start griping about the oil leak, which I've openly told everyone about in the ad, so I gave him his money back. It's going into the shop tomorrow, to get the leak sorted.

Now you Monster guys know that a cherry S4 goes for anywhere from $5000-$7500. A real cherry. Mine is not a cherry bike. And I'll let it go for $3000. It is a great runner though, and has never let me down, I've owned it for 5 1/2 years. You guys all know this bike is a bunch faster than any of the air cooled ones. Even the 1100.

I posted this here because you Monster guys congregate here. Even if you don't want one for your everyday ride (it was mine for 4 years), the deal is good enough to have it as a spare bike anyway.
'
To tell you the truth, the guy I gave the money back to, didn't know what he was getting. The estimate to fix the oil leak is $80. I was quite surprised by that, I was expecting $300 or more. But for the money, this is a lot of bike.

Someone come and get it.
Its potential purchasers like you describe above that make me happier to just trade a bike in at the dealer rather than wasting my time with the crapshoot of private party sales.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #160
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
But JoeDuck, I don't want to buy a bike at a dealer, I'd rather find something different (and I don't know what just yet, I've got my 950 Supermoto all good to go), and find something nearly new, but let someone else take that 30, 40, or 50% depreciation hit than me. Besides, I bought an XR75 last weekend, I've wanted one for at least 35 years, now I have one, and I'm obsessing on hot rod Honda minibike parts.

Right now, I've got 2 guys that swear they are serious. But until they are standing in my driveway, I'm not counting on anything.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:38 PM   #161
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Spamming thread killers piss me off. ghead:

Can we talk about cool bikes again?

I know an ADV'r that got himself an 07 Duc recently. Maybe I can get him to post a pic. :)

Oh tall one.....

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM   #162
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
Well, as Fifth alluded to, I finally found a Monster that was within a reasonable enough distance that I liked. Not a low miles bike, but it appears to have been well kept, not a mark on it.

2007 S2R 1000, full Termis, new ECU and tune with the pipes.

It makes me do this:

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #163
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Well, as Fifth alluded to, I finally found a Monster that was within a reasonable enough distance that I liked. Not a low miles bike, but it appears to have been well kept, not a mark on it.

2007 S2R 1000, full Termis, new ECU and tune with the pipes.

It makes me do this:

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:34 AM   #164
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post

Not sure why this was posted? The guy has a Kymco, how bad could life be??

The more I look at Tallboy's bike, the more I like it. You gonna ride it to PIE FEST this year instead of the big yellow GS? I know it won't be as comfortable, but I can spot you a tent and sleeping bag while you are here God knows I never get to use them...

BLOG
Old 02-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #165
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,563
Quote:
Not sure why this was posted? The guy has a Kymco, how bad could life be??
I could do with a S2R, obviously!
Considering he has it, and I don't, he obviously has to suck!

The S2R 1000 with termis is the #1 sound I heard from a motorcycle.
#2 was Aprilia Tuono with Akrapovic exhaust.

There's no #3 yet.

MAAAAYBE a VTR1000 (Akrapovic too..)

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote