Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #181
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,358
Just saw this over on Ducati.ms and had to post it here. Pretty cool custom job, and as the guy posted, probably not for everyone. I like it.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/42-monst...-have-120.html

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #182
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Stock Mirrors.....horrible.

Even on the Anniversary edition, with the "retro" round mirrors, I can't see past my elbows/shoulders. I have been looking around for options, and am a little surprised on the price of some. A pair of Rizoma "Pure" mirrors, with attachment hardware, has me spending over $300.

I don't really want bar end mirrors, since I actually like the look of round mirrors on stems, like have been on moto's since the beginning. YMMV I will go that route if I have to though.

Anyway.... does anyone have any input on some good options for me?

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
Old 03-10-2013, 06:38 PM   #183
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post

Even on the Anniversary edition, with the "retro" round mirrors, I can't see past my elbows/shoulders. I have been looking around for options, and am a little surprised on the price of some. A pair of Rizoma "Pure" mirrors, with attachment hardware, has me spending over $300.

I don't really want bar end mirrors, since I actually like the look of round mirrors on stems, like have been on moto's since the beginning. YMMV I will go that route if I have to though.

I didn't really want bar end mirrors on my monster either until I tried a set. They work so much better than conventional mirrors it remarkable.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #184
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
(Snip)
I have Rizoma Dynamic mirrors on my bike. To me, it's better than the stock one because it's lower and not as wide as the stock mirrors, which for me is important cause I lane -split all the time and I don't want to tick cars' mirror. With the rizoma I never do, cause it's lower than cars mirrors.

It gives me a good rear view, not a wide field of view .... to give you an idea, I can see what is at my rear right at 4 and 5 o'clock, and rear left at 7 and 8 o'clock.

Jeff H of monsterparts.com once told the ducati forum, that for european made mirrors if one wants mirror that meets European standard for road use, look for one which is listed as "e-marked". I think the Dynamic mirrors I have don't have this E mark
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #185
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
This, IMHO, is the best of the Monster line, ever. It has all the style, and is a very balanced machine -- everything works together just right.

PhilB

I agree (cause I have one). Any word on 'if' an alloy or metal tank will be available for these Monsters (S2R, S4R)? I was planning to get one this year and be rid of the plastic tank debacle.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #186
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
I agree (cause I have one). Any word on 'if' an alloy or metal tank will be available for these Monsters (S2R, S4R)? I was planning to get one this year and be rid of the plastic tank debacle.
I know there was an effort to make alloy tanks for them, but I don't know if they ever got into production. Mine's a good old steeltank bike, so I haven't kept close tabs on the alloy replacement for the plastic tanks.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (227,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #187
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypolack View Post
Any chance for a quick rundown on the issue with the plastic tank?

I saw reference to an issue somewhere else, but didn't get an explanation.

Years it was an issue?

Thanks.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #188
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Here you go Wally:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=638633

In short, Ethanol, and/or high heat may be causing the 2004+ model years with plastic tanks to deform. Could cause a leak....YMMV

BLOG
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #189
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oh...

great.

Todd Snider
Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #190
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Just don't put corn squeezins in her, and/or ride when it's hot. Good thing N.W. Kansas stays so cool in the summer!

BLOG
Old 03-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #191
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I didn't really want bar end mirrors on my monster either until I tried a set. They work so much better than conventional mirrors it remarkable.
Yeah, I think I'm going to try a set....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPS View Post
I have Rizoma Dynamic mirrors on my bike. To me, it's better than the stock one because it's lower and not as wide as the stock mirrors, which for me is important cause I lane -split all the time and I don't want to tick cars' mirror. With the rizoma I never do, cause it's lower than cars mirrors.

It gives me a good rear view, not a wide field of view .... to give you an idea, I can see what is at my rear right at 4 and 5 o'clock, and rear left at 7 and 8 o'clock.

Jeff H of monsterparts.com once told the ducati forum, that for european made mirrors if one wants mirror that meets European standard for road use, look for one which is listed as "e-marked". I think the Dynamic mirrors I have don't have this E mark
No lane splitting for me, so no worries there.
I have the same view with my stock mirrors...I want to see what is behind me, not what is in my "blind spot", so to speak.

I have done a bunch of searching, and found what appears to be the best deal and quality compromise.
Moto Elite
Only found a couple "reviews", but they seem to be on par with CRG, and at half the price. For $100, I will give them a try

I still want the Rizoma Pure mirrors, but I refuse to spend Three Hundred F'n Dollars on mirrors!!!

BLOG
Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #192
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Quote:
Just don't put corn squeezins in her, and/or ride when it's hot. Good thing N.W. Kansas stays so cool in the summer!
Yeah. Just what I need - a motorcycle that I can only ride few a couple months in the spring and a couple more in the fall.

I don't buy Ethanol as a general principal policy anyway. And I'll park it in the shade, I suppose.

Todd Snider
Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #193
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
Yeah. Just what I need - a motorcycle that I can only ride few a couple months in the spring and a couple more in the fall.

I don't buy Ethanol as a general principal policy anyway. And I'll park it in the shade, I suppose.
I hate to sound negative, but I probably have one of the more pampered S2R 1000s and it's already bent up two plastic tanks. I opt for premium when I ride too, so I don't know a realistic way around it.

I do wish that Ducati or some third party would offer an alloy or permanent solution for this, simply because I don't trust coating a tank or wish to deal with the 'replacements' over and over from Ducati.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #194
Ted.audia
n00b

Oddometer: 6
New tank for classic monsters

http://ca-cycleworks.com/blog/mtt43update2/

Chris at Ca Cycleworks is working on it. I believe the first tank is done and they are in the testing phase.

Tank is larger, more like the ST series, offering more range, yet deviates from the original look. Ymmv

Cheers

00 Aprilia RS50; 05 BMW r1200gs; 03 Ducati M800adv; 02 Ducati 998
Ted.audia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #195
boduke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Metal Tanks

http://www.moto-works.jp/beater/index.html

Thinking of thinning the heard.
03 M1000 classic layout, metal tank, fully farkled. Zero fuelling issues with U59 programmable ECU. PM for full info and e-mailed photos.

<-- Bike is even sexier than this X in a Box!
boduke is offline   Reply With Quote