Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 02:25 AM   #46
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
The S4RS, is supposedly a real brute, maybe 30hp more than my 916 S4.
The S4RS uses a 999 engine while my 'ol S4R uses it's predecessor, a 996.

With a full Arrow exhaust, tuned Dynojet Power Commander, and K&N filters, it pulled 114hp and 76lb-ft on a dyno that seems to read a bit low.

Mark H.
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #47
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Oddometer: 450
Why not the monster was the question? Well, if you're like me, 1m82, the monster it's just too small, cramped really. I just sold it and got me a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 custom...

b l a c k S P e c i a l s

blackSP screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 05:54 AM
blackSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #48
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackSP View Post
Why not the monster was the question? Well, if you're like me, 1m82, the monster it's just too small, cramped really. I just sold it and got me a Harley Davidson Sportster 1200 custom...
I just did the conversion to metric...I'm 1m85, and just short of 100kg. While I tend to agree that (depending on the seat) monsters can be a little on the small side, I can't imaigine "moving up" to a Sportster, which seem about the same size to me. Niether one is particularly roomy, but except for an XR you're giving up a lot of performance with a Sportster

On a side note; too bad they discontinued the XR, with its 20 more hp and 10 degrees more lean angle, but I guess Harley riders aren't looking for that kind of performance.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #49
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I just did the conversion to metric...I'm 1m85, and just short of 100kg. While I tend to agree that (depending on the seat) monsters can be a little on the small side, I can't imaigine "moving up" to a Sportster, which seem about the same size to me. Niether one is particularly roomy, but except for an XR you're giving up a lot of performance with a Sportster

On a side note; too bad they discontinued the XR, with its 20 more hp and 10 degrees more lean angle, but I guess Harley riders aren't looking for that kind of performance.
I don't agree with you on this one, I rode both and the monster is seriously short plus you lean quite forward. For me riding the monster for more than say 150 miles was never pleasant. The Sportster Custom may not be a big HD but it sure is bigger than the monster and for me didn't feel as small during a test ride.

Loosing power? Who needs that, where I live (NL) I gave up speeding. I can now speed off road and relax on road!

Old 12-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #50
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't agree with you on this one, I rode both and the monster is seriously short plus you lean quite forward. For me riding the monster for more than say 150 miles was never pleasant. The Sportster Custom may not be a big HD but it sure is bigger than the monster and for me didn't feel as small during a test ride.!
As I mentioned in my OP, I want the bike specifically for riding the twisties near where I live. For long rides it's going to be my R1200GS every time. In the current Monster line-up there are 3 seat heights, with both the 796 and especially the 1100 Evo having enough leg room for my 34" inseam on the stock seat.

Quote:
Loosing power? Who needs that, where I live (NL) I gave up speeding. I can now speed off road and relax on road!
And I never mentioned power at all. Nor did I express interest in a sedate ride. There's a lot more to "performance" than horsepower, like light weight and flickable.
I suspect that a XL 1200 will beat a 696 in a drag race, but as soon as you get to where I intend to use a Monster the poor Sportser, with its pathetic 24 degree lean angle, will be dragging hard parts and ruining all that chrome.

Basically, I'm reading your objection to the Monster to be saying that It's what I said I was looking for, and I'll enjoy it too much.

JustKip screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 05:35 PM
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #51
lobsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I luv mine muchly.
lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #52
blackSP
62 6c 61 63 6b 53 50

Quote:
As I mentioned in my OP, I want the bike specifically for riding the twisties near where I live. For long rides it's going to be my R1200GS every time. In the current Monster line-up there are 3 seat heights, with both the 796 and especially the 1100 Evo having enough leg room for my 34" inseam on the stock seat.

And I never mentioned power at all. Nor did I express interest in a sedate ride. There's a lot more to "performance" than horsepower, like light weight and flickable.
I suspect that a XL 1200 will beat a 696 in a drag race, but as soon as you get to where I intend to use a Monster the poor Sportser, with its pathetic 24 degree lean angle, will be dragging hard parts and ruining all that chrome.

Basically, I'm reading your objection to the Monster to be saying that It's what I said I was looking for, and I'll enjoy it too much.
Maybe I misinterpreted but you did say 'you're giving up a lot of performance with a Sportster' hence my comment about power.
It's all about personal likes and choices so enjoy your monster!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #53
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Maybe I misinterpreted but you did say 'you're giving up a lot of performance with a Sportster' hence my comment about power.
It's all about personal likes and choices so enjoy your monster!
Agreed. It is about personal choice. I think it's unfortunate that people overlook your XL1200C as a one-up touring mount...all the power you need for any highway (short of the autobahn, perhaps). Comfortable, good fuel economy, and stone reliable. All at $10k less than one of Harley's "touring" models.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #54
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,262
Quote:
I have friends (extremely quick riders - used to race) that have given up on their Ducatis and other super motos and just use their 12GS as an all around bike. All it took was Ohlins or Wilbers shocks, and these guys can easily keep up, if not beet the kids on Ducati's.

Old 12-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #55
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
I have friends (extremely quick riders - used to race) that have given up on their Ducatis and other super motos and just use their 12GS as an all around bike. All it took was Ohlins or Wilbers shocks, and these guys can easily keep up, if not beet the kids on Ducati's.

LOL!
Trouble maker
Yes, the GS is pretty darned quick, for what it is. And a new set of Ohlins or Wilbers would make a huge difference.

But I want a new bike. And I want it to be noticably more nimble than the GS. I love the looks of the Monsters, but honestly, a Hypermotard would handle the tight roads a little better. I just think they're hideous to look at, and the Monster is like a '50s hot rod in the looks department, AND easy to toss around in a very twistie road.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #56
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:

The seat and bars make a BIG difference on a Monster...I'm 6'1' and mine felt like a 3/4 scale MC with the stock items but fit me much better when I fitted Monster city bars and a Sargent seat, they are on my bike in the picture above...FWIW the bike was lousy for two up riding either way
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:44 PM   #57
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,599
Quote:
LOL!
Trouble maker
Yes, the GS is pretty darned quick, for what it is. And a new set of Ohlins or Wilbers would make a huge difference.

But I want a new bike. And I want it to be noticably more nimble than the GS. I love the looks of the Monsters, but honestly, a Hypermotard would handle the tight roads a little better. I just think they're hideous to look at, and the Monster is like a '50s hot rod in the looks department, AND easy to toss around in a very twistie road.

From a guy who owns two Monsters and a GS, I'm in Lobby's corner. The Monster is a looker for sure, but the low end fueling make it an SOB in normal traffic situations. Yes, you can feather the clutch, and tolerate the riding position and fueling but it really is a bike meant for a more focused audience.

The GS is equally versatile in commuting conditions as it is blasting through the gears. Yes, it's as attractive as an unmade bed but when you're not fatigued when you arrive at your destination and don't have to phone a chiropractor it's a real benefit. I am seriously considering a set of Ohlins for the GS. It really doesn't need anything else.

Why do I have mine then? Yes, it's the aesthetic. I'd had the 96 since 99 and rebuilt it a few times. The 08 was sentimental as it is the last of the classic design. Both require an entire zip code to maneuver them in a parking spot or driveway but I keep them for the occasional weekend blast.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #58
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Lobby and Hillbillypolac.
You guys just talked me into spending a little on the GS and not getting a Monster. I just need to decide if I'll upgrade the '07, or get a '10-'11 for better mid-range power.

Thanks guys!

That's $10k I can spend on travel instead
Old 12-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #59
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,324
So much of this depends on how a bike fits your own particular body. I've found my Monster to be great and commuting and daily use, and quite good at touring one-up -- I can do 600-mile days easily for days at a time. More than that takes specific effort, but I don't really need to do more than that. As someone mentioned above, it isn't good for two-up for very far. 50-60 miles is OK; 100 miles is pushing it -- not for the bike, it doesn't care a bit, but the passenger tends to object after a while. I got my wife her own Monster, and that works great.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #60
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,383
I know nothing about the newer Monsters, but I have experienced the horrible EPA mandated fuel and emissions systems on several newer bikes. If the new Monsters run like many other newer bikes, that would be reason enough to not buy one. I love the look of the older ones, and even the newer ones look pretty decent. I hate plastic covered sportbikes. But if a bike won't run right, it isn't worth very much. I would at least do some further research before buying. Maybe the emissions crap can be removed and the FI remapped.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote