User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #76
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
M1100s

I am coming up on 30,000 miles on my 09 1100s and love it. Previously I have had an H1, a SR500, an R75/6, a first generation Bandit 1200 (motor opened up and suspension fixed), a SV1000S, and a DL650. I have spent more on tires than any other maintenance on the Ducati (I bought it as a demo from Myers with the Termi fix and comfort seat already on it). I enjoy riding the Monster more than any of the other street bikes I have owned (but not more than my EXC450) and put about 500 southwestern Virginia miles on it the last 2 days. If a Monster suites you, nothing else will satisfy.

P.S. I am about 6' 1" with bad knees and a 32" inseam.
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #77
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I've heard the Diavel is sorted out of the box.
Have a co-worker with one and he reports no problems....

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #78
High_Side
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
If it's a 696: the seat. Horrible piece of slanted garbage. Budget for an excellent aftermarket Sargent seat and you're good. Unless you wanna make it run properly....

The best one out of the box that I have ridden (and owned) is the S2R800. Great bike and sounds best with the cat converter replaced with a mid pipe and stock cans. I learned this after I bought a set of aftermarket cans...
High_Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #79
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
I've heard the Diavel is sorted out of the box.
Oh good.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #80
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
mmmm Have you consider something from Japan, FZ8 FZ1? nop they are not as sexy as a monster but will run = to or better. Also there is that inline 3 with big bold lights from Triumph call speed or street triple.

Damasovi
Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #81
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
mmmm Have you consider something from Japan, FZ8 FZ1? nop they are not as sexy as a monster but will run = to or better. Also there is that inline 3 with big bold lights from Triumph call speed or street triple.

Damasovi

But they got no sole........

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #82
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Okay, so a monster picture thread it is.

We bought a used 09 696 for my wife. I had to lower it over 2" plus she added 1" soles to her touring boots. She loves it after owning 3 other bikes, feels it is the best. She rode it to Salida, Co. this summer and up Independence pass. Gets about 200 miles to the tank.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #83
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Damasovi
I tried to love the Speed Trip - I really wanted to. Similar ergos to the 1100 Evo, (Street Trip felt similar to the 696 - too low/small) but the Speed 3 is about 50 lbs heavier and all up high. Fantastic engine! but feels heavy and slow to transition in tight manuvers which is exactly where I would be using it.

Just a seat-of-the-pants feel...in high speed sweepers the Speed 3 would humiliate my GS, but in the tight stuff I'm absolutely certain it would be the other way 'round...even with the 50 pound and 30 HP advantage.

I've never considered a FZ8 or FZ1. I've never even sat on one. In fact, I wouldn't know an FZ if I was pissin' on it..
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #84
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
I

I've never considered a FZ8 or FZ1. I've never even sat on one. In fact, I wouldn't know an FZ if I was pissin' on it..
then go and find one! I knew somebody would say something like "no soul" and that means a lot of different things for different people. For me they are nice bike, and NO SEX APPEAL when next to a Ducati FOR SURE! how every I am not there yet, I need to add bike #3,4, and then the SEX bike! UNtil then I will continue to buy a bike that can do several things simply because I can't afford 4-5 bikes now... one day!!!

Damasovi
Old 12-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #85
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
I dunno...

I have not owned a FZ1, but it's a naked version of the R1. Before I got back into bikes a lot of years ago, I seriously considered a FZ1, but didn't buy one. I did a bunch of research on them, and in my view compared to the Monster it's chalk and cheese - really different bikes. The Monster is a cool bike. The 696 (or whatever the "small" one is today) is different than the rest, really physically small - too small for me, but they are cool bikes. In my view, the Monster is a Duc/Italian version of a UJM. The FZ1 is a Japanese naked sportsbike - pretty different. From Ducati it would be the Streetfighter.

Think about what attributes are most important to you, what you're willing to compromise on and viola! I'm being goofy, but no bike is perfect at everything - they are better at some things than others. Pick the one that's good at what you want and get it. And be careful about too much advice from the internet - including this!
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #86
RydRy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 328
monstersoul

heck thats true- I mean soul- I had a bmw and that thing had no soul- my monster is so uncomfortable for me at 6 foot 200 lbs but it has sooooo much soul- wouldn't have it as a daily rider but agree its a second bike to shoot around city and have fun in some hills- go far? nope! then again my bonneville needed filled up every 123 miles too what the heck- doesn't mean Id trade for a soulless bmw or harley that goes 400 miles- nope- chose based on your heart not some fools definition of soul
RydRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #87
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,347
Monsters are cool and there's nothing like the 2-valve Desmo motor. I can just sit and look at mine.
Would I have one for an only bike? No.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM   #88
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
In my view, the Monster is a Duc/Italian version of a UJM. The FZ1 is a Japanese naked sportsbike - pretty different. From Ducati it would be the Streetfighter.
Yeah. That really don't tick too many boxes.
For those who have never ridden central Cali...

"The Mighty 190"

Streetfighter? No. Hypermotard? Oh yeah!
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #89
Hoodis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
A Monster road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Yeah. That really don't tick too many boxes.
For those who have never ridden central Cali...

"The Mighty 190"

Streetfighter? No. Hypermotard? Oh yeah!
Very nice. The soundtrack would have been "better" with a 2 valve L-twin through a pair of Termis.
Hoodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #90
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I've got a 2011 796 and love it. Great commuter bike with good power, lightweight and handles like a dream. I'm 5'9" so it fits great as well. I'm heading out for the summer on it in June and will put 4000Km on it doing a loop through Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and back home. It's not the most comfortable bike after 5 hours, but it's not too bad.

To each his own but if you like it, buy it.

Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote