User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2015, 11:16 PM   #1
braddo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Craftsman Universal Flip Wrench

Was in Sears today and came across this wrench.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-unive...p-00929677000P

I thought it could potentially replace most of the individual wrenches I carry in the tool kit on my bike.

I was worried about clearance issues but I tried it out on a bunch of bolts on my bike and surprisingly it fit about every one. It also seemed to grip well and I wasn't worried about rounding any heads.

The one problem I overlooked before purchasing was that it doesn't fit 12mm.

I haven't decided yet if this will make it on the bike in place of the individual wrenches it could replace.

braddo screwed with this post 02-16-2015 at 11:28 PM
braddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,624
no 12mm bins it
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
braddo OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I agree. I tried searching for a metric focused version but wasn't able to find anything. If I could find one that fit 10, 12, 14, 17 & 19 I think I could get by with it and my 24mm tire lever combo as the only wrenches I carry.
braddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #4
Hybridchemistry

Oddometer: 357
Two of these in a tool kit would be fabulous, but yeah, they'd need to be all metric, preferably with just the sizes your bike uses.... maybe a community sourced project?

Edit:
Image for reference and those too lazy to click the link:

(Click for larger)

Hybridchemistry screwed with this post 02-17-2015 at 02:55 PM
Hybridchemistry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,541
That is one wrench that fits both metric and inch size fasteners. The 5/16 wrench fits the 8mm bolt. The 13mm one fits the 1/2 inch nut. Etc. They look like spline wrenches which Craftsman has been offering in Universal sets for a long time.

Works in most instances but the Universal feature could be more prone to round off some fasteners.

The design of the wrench with two size sockets on each end and all bolted together, strong enough for mechanics duty and all will mean access problems where space is limited. Don't know about your bike but that would be an issue on my Airhead.

I would not buy. It is ugly. I don't buy ugly tools.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:32 AM   #6
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 980
They've been around for many years. Buy one,
and you will soon find that it's virtually useless.
Bulky, and will only work in large flat areas.
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 PM   #7
Guano11
Am I Trending?

Oddometer: 1,370
Got one as a gift years ago. Seemed to have potential. I've always had "real" tools at the ready so never used it.

I recommend real tools. This one's a gimmick.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #8
freetors
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
How do all these spline drive and other "universal" things work in the long run. It seems like they would round out heads often or have a really sloppy fit. Like you're always using the wrong tool for the job.
freetors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #9
Onederer
Crunch Nugget

Oddometer: 826
It works on metric and inch fasteners, so maybe it's the tool to have in a 1970-1980 American automobile glove box.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #10
maxjett
Biketrader

Oddometer: 610
universal tools rarely get used but they always seem like a good idea.
maxjett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:15 AM   #11
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,394
I can never get wrenches with a big flat face like that onto any nuts or bolts. I have a full sets of ratcheting metric and SAE wrenches in my roll away and they are the least used tools I own. There just isn't ever enough room. So I stick with the real thing. At least with a KTM you can get away with only carrying an 8, 10 and 13 plus axle tool.

If I were going to go this route, it seems like this would be a better idea: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Qua...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 02-26-2015, 09:30 AM   #12
groundrules
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
How do all these spline drive and other "universal" things work in the long run. It seems like they would round out heads often or have a really sloppy fit. Like you're always using the wrong tool for the job.
This. I wanna know. In part because Craftsman is having a big sale right now, and I need some deep sockets. I'm tempted to try them, but I'm still skeptical.
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...2_00935467000P
groundrules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #13
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 9,541
I think the spline drives work and I suspect they work well. The part about making the wrenches Universal is the part I object to. We do this in practice all the time. I use 5/16 socket for the 8mm anytime. I may use a 1/2 for 13mm but here the difference is a little more noticeable. What I don't like is Craftsman telling me I don't need the wrench made for the job.

Snap On makes spline drive sockets and box wrenches. They make SAE or Metric. Snap On doesn't do Universal. Not yet anyway.

Craftsman has some nice looking tools, some in spline drive. Stay away from the stuff that you won't be able to read the size on after a couple of uses. They make some stuff with printing on it that won't last.

If I wanted a Universal tool I'd use a pliers.

Another nice thing about Craftsman is you can buy tool sets in a box that has a place for each tool. This is the biggest help when cleaning up because you put each tool back in it's space and therefore don't lose any. At least not often.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
I can never get wrenches with a big flat face like that onto any nuts or bolts. I have a full sets of ratcheting metric and SAE wrenches in my roll away and they are the least used tools I own. There just isn't ever enough room. So I stick with the real thing. At least with a KTM you can get away with only carrying an 8, 10 and 13 plus axle tool.

If I were going to go this route, it seems like this would be a better idea: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Qua...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

I got a whole set of these Home Depot standard/metric 'multi fit' wrenches and sockets as a christmas present from my girlfriend's parents last year. The wrenches were Husky and the sockets were Kobalt brand. When I first got the sets I was stoked, it seemed like a great idea.

I have stripped out every single wrench and socket that is smaller than 9/16. I never stripped a bolt with one though, because the teeth in the wrench/socket are so small and soft that they just break.
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 PM   #15
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,394
Not good. The Craftsman ratcheting wrenches I have are indestructible. Useless for most things, but indestructible.