User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
Notnewchevy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Tires, go oversize or not

I am pretty sure this has been covered but...
Is there any reason to use, lets say a 140/80-17 instead of the stock 130/80. Good bad or indifferent. I guess I want to do it for looks and maybe even give better handling off road. I just know if it would cause bad handling. If it matters I have a 2003 dakar w/some farkels. Thanks for any input. Stay warm out there I hear its cold everywhere but Alaska 35* and sunny today in Anchorage.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 PM   #2
Growl
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
oversize tires are over rated

I used to do this, thinking it was an improvement. One size up or down usually works but you don't gain much other than a beefier look. Using a quality tire of the right size makes for tires that mount easily, seat properly and don't rub on anything. If handling and traction are the objective then get a good quality tire of the right size and tread pattern and rubber compound for your intended purposes. What has soured me on oversize tires is one has to be more careful in alignment or something rubs and they often seat ever so slightly imperfectly leading to little shimmies and uneven wear.
Growl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
swoody126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Growl View Post
I used to do this, thinking it was an improvement. One size up or down usually works but you don't gain much other than a beefier look. Using a quality tire of the right size makes for tires that mount easily, seat properly and don't rub on anything. If handling and traction are the objective then get a good quality tire of the right size and tread pattern and rubber compound for your intended purposes. What has soured me on oversize tires is one has to be more careful in alignment or something rubs and they often seat ever so slightly imperfectly leading to little shimmies and uneven wear.
DITTO!!!

the manufacturer designed the drive train to work TOGETHER

& when you change a link in the train, the weaker links can suffer/fail, prematurely

JMHO

sw
Old 01-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
gmiguy
You rode a what to where?

Oddometer: 1,194
There are some valid reasons to deviate from OEM tire size, such as:
-You have modified the vehicle in a way that necessitates a different size
-The type of tire you want is unavailable in the OEM size
-You are looking to change the vehicle characteristics from OEM in some specific way and have a very good understanding of how modifying tire size will generate the change that you desire as well as the tradeoffs that it will impose

In the absence of something like this, I've found it's best to stick with the OEM tire size. It really was selected for a reason.
gmiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:12 PM   #5
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiguy View Post
there are some valid reasons to deviate from oem tire size, such as:
-you have modified the vehicle in a way that necessitates a different size
-the type of tire you want is unavailable in the oem size
-you are looking to change the vehicle characteristics from oem in some specific way and have a very good understanding of how modifying tire size will generate the change that you desire as well as the tradeoffs that it will impose

in the absence of something like this, i've found it's best to stick with the oem tire size. It really was selected for a reason.

+1
Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #6
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 884
I have many customer each year that insist on
190's in place of original 180's. And the occasional
rider with an original 190 that wants a 200. Not to
mention changing 130's to 140's/etc...

No problem with rears going up or down one size,
but in most cases, there's no logical reason to do so.

Fronts are a different story, as even a change to a
lower profile; as a 60 series instead of the original 70
series can cause unpleasant handling problems...
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,955
There are different sizes for different applications. Sand, mud and loose pack obtain extra traction with more meat.

Rocks, road and hard surface benefit from thinner widths.

Personally I like a wider and taller tire, which provides extra bite and rim protection when riding off road
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
LimitedSlip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Check the recommend rim width for the tire you want to mount as well. Forcing a wider tire on too narrow of a rim is trouble.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
Another consideration is that a bigger rear tire will bump the effective final drive gearing up slightly (like maybe 4% or so)...FWIW when I went from a 150/60 to a 150/70 on my supermoto this made the gearing better for the road, especially freeway riding. Also check that the bikes rim width is in the correct range for the bigger tire as was said, if not the profile of the mounted tire will be wrong and that is not good for safety and handling....one size up will very likely be OK but it is worth checking the tire makers website to be sure, a typical fitment chart is below.

victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
yzedf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Same brand and model of tire? A Michelin 150 might be similar to a Pirelli 140 or vice versa. For that small a change it really won't matter 99% of the time.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:55 AM   #11
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
Same brand and model of tire? A Michelin 150 might be similar to a Pirelli 140 or vice versa. For that small a change it really won't matter 99% of the time.
This^^. you're talking only 10mm here. The thickness of 3 maybe 4 quarters. I'd get the tire I liked and get the best price on, if it meant going one size up. As long as the aspect ratio (the middle % number in the 60/70/80) is the same.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
Notnewchevy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Thanks everyone for the info. I decided to go with a similar size but as it turns out I bought a kenda k270 in 5.10/17 and it is small small small. My buddy bought a heideneau k60 in 130/80-17 which is supposed tho be the apox same size. Not even close the heid is at least an inch taller and somewhat wider also. What I don't understand is I thought the 5.10. Was supposed to be the same Ish size as the 130. Am I wrong. Tire is bought and paid for will run it. But I wish it was bigger.
Notnewchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #13
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,033
i have been in the tire business since 2000, going on 14 years, mostly race tires, NASCAR, passenger car tires and off road tractor and ATV tires.

I can tell you this, alot of the motorcycle tires/offroad dirt bike tires, sizes vary greatly, so much so that i am alittle leary of buying online unless i know the tire or have seen one mounted on a bike in a picture. having said that, dunlop, michelin, continental, pirelli, seem to be pretty consistent. other than that it's kind of a crap shoot. IMO.
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 AM   #14
Jayrod1318
Poster

Oddometer: 1,544
I noticed when I had a wider rear tire tire on my DS xr650r it did not turn in as well compared to having the narrower one I have now.

It is not that much of a difference but noticeable. Plus the narrower/smaller tire is quite a bit lighter lighter. seems to spin up faster on dirt.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #15
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrod1318 View Post
I noticed when I had a wider rear tire tire on my DS xr650r it did not turn in as well compared to having the narrower one I have now.

It is not that much of a difference but noticeable. Plus the narrower/smaller tire is quite a bit lighter lighter. seems to spin up faster on dirt.
My Husky TE450 came with a 140 rear. When I switched to a 110 rear, I thought I was on a different bike. I could go faster in the singletrack due to quicker handling, faster, easier turn-in. Traction was not an issue, the bike will spin ANY tire, so now, I use only 110 width rear tires, and yes, they are cheaper and lighter.