User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
wncstrada OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Long day In The Saddle - Tips?

I'm signed up to ride in an organized event this spring that will involve riding about 500 miles in one day on a tight schedule. This is about twice as far as I've ever ridden in a single day. I'm motivated for the event, about 60, and my bike is in good shape. Any tips or suggestions on how to keep focused and on schedule? Thanks!
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Mustang28027
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Be sure you are comfortable on the seat. Butt burn is a distinct possibility. Have a pad/sheepskin for it? I hear bike shorts under your pants works well to prevent it, too. Second thing is hand cramping. Have a cramp buster? It mounts on the grip and is invaluable to aid in preventing stress to the hand.
Mustang28027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Train for it, get out and put some time in the saddle.

Gold Bond Powder (Yellow/Gold Bottle) applied liberally on your ass cheeks pre-ride is a smart idea.

Take an Aleeve when u start and a 2nd at the halfway point.

Full face helmet and ear plugs will help fend off some fatigue.

Highway bar or an alternate foot setting will help.

When you do stop get OFF the bike and stretch with significant stretches such as squats, toe touches, overhead reach etc..... Move the stagnate muscles.

Drink some coffee or an equivalent within reason to keep your alertness levels up.

At last and most importantly if you simply can no longer go then stop and get there when you get there. Nothing is as important as getting yourself hurt because you are mentally fatigued, physically tired or both. So get the route plan and destination so should you have to take a breather you can find them when u get there.
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,364
Key yourself hydrated, drink lots of water, more water, then have another drink of water....

Paul
Old 04-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,404
Do a hundred yard power walk out and back at each gas stop. Get some blood pumping to yer ass. It works for me.
siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 6,224
A long run will be made easier if you start getting ready the day or two before the run: It's all pretty much common sense stuff TBH.

Plenty of sleep for the 2 nights before - you don't want to be going in to the run with a sleep debt and chances are it'll be an early start.
Don't get hammered the night before - it'll make sleep harder, dehydrate you and give you a hangover - 2 pints max.
Eat well the day before - it'll have most of the energy you'll use on the day of the run.
Get your kit & bike ready the ..yep..you guessed it, the day before. It'll save time on the day and you'll sleep easier.

On the day, eat & drink normally - don't drink too much or you'll be stopping to take a leak every half hour but make sure you have at least 2 litres of water during the day. It's remarkable easy to forget - which is why I use a hydration pack. Chances are though, if you're in a group, you'll be stopping every hour so use that opportunity to eat, drink and stretch.

Personally I'd avoid pills - especially pain killers - they can mask potentially important symptoms. Pain's there for a reason - to tell you to change your behaviour. On a 500 miler run though, whilst you may experience discomfort, I highly doubt you'll get any actual pain. Avoid.

If you're riding in a group, learn how to do so safely, make yourself aware of the route and re-fuelling points and don't be afraid to go your own way if you feel your safety is threatened. Way too many accidents happen because of ignorance or stupidity during group runs.

And talking of safety, you are responsible for yourself - no one else. Do not let the group drag you beyond your capabilities. Maybe you're really tired and want to stop for an hour but they don't. Stop. Tell 'em you'll meet 'em at the end or make an alternate, over-night, arrangement.

Also, there's no harm is saying to 'em that you'll join 'em at the half way point (for example). Start the day before, take the edge off the run,
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:18 AM   #7
dogtiredRAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
One man's opinion...
Time in the saddle is the best way to prepare for time in the saddle.

Stuff I do to keep me alert.

Graze as your travelling, like keep some trail mix or jerkey or even dried apricots in your tank bag and have a chew as your going along. Keep the fuel up to yourself, riding can actually burn a lot of energy,
Last thing you need near the end of a long day is for your body to run down a bit on energy.

Music is good, get a set of ear buds, good ones will also work as ear plugs as well.

Move around on the bike, lay on the tank and use the pillion footpegs for a while, or if you have a set of highway pegs, alternate your legs back and forth between your normal pegs and the highway pegs.

Get a throttle lock... definately.

And the big one...
Learn the signals your body gives you before you get tired.
... because nothing will wake you up faster than a microsleep.
Ezekial 23:20
Duet 25:11
dogtiredRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM   #8
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 314
Start early, eat a good breakfast, move your ass around on the seat, sit on one cheek, then the other, don't be afraid to stop, just keep the stops short, music helps, do something to get the adrenalin flowing. By this I mean jumping jacks, run across the parking lot etc. I was on a SS 1000 and was getting sleepy. Stopped to get gas and dropped my receipt, the wind caught it and had to run across the lot to get it. That little burst of activity and I was wide awake. Drink lots of water, splash cold water on your face, if it is hot, soak a small towel with cold water and put it around your neck.

Have fun and good luck!
dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,538
For me, highway pegs.... I'm a very fit guy, so I don't get fatigued, I eat well riding or not, don't get tired or take naps, no sore butt of back.
But highway pegs are the difference of me going 3-400kms and 1500.

Good luck

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:47 AM   #10
everready
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
On straight sections I'll stand up and stretch. Also, sometimes I'll let my feet dangle.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #11
lakota
Geeser

Oddometer: 2,741
the long ride advice from the Iron Butt Association is as good as it gets
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm
IBA #42016

my ride reports

Follow my current ride
lakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:47 AM   #12
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
100 miles

the IBA tips are very good, yes ! .... and break up your ride in 100 mile chunks.

then, at each stop do these -

1. gas up (doh!)
2. go pee
3. have a drink (hot or cold)
4. S - T - R - E - C - H ....
5. clean w/s and visor
6. have a snack (optional)

then you'll be good to go for another 100 miles .... good to go !
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #13
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakota View Post
the long ride advice from the Iron Butt Association is as good as it gets
http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

A ton of great information there! W-O-W

Thanks!
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:39 PM   #14
Sfcootz
Banjoboy is my guru.

Oddometer: 1,985
I agree, you have to work up to that long of a ride. I would also suggest that you begin hydrating a few days before you set out on your journey.

I really enjoy my Alaska Leather sheepskin. It makes long days in the saddle very comfortable, as do the good ergos on my bike. I tend to ride long distances between stops. I do not like a lot of stop and go. Unless we're eating or gassing up, we better be riding. That's how my riding guru likes it and it's what I have come to like as well.

Enjoy your trip.
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #15
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,305
Standing up and wiggling your ass while riding every once in a while does wonders

I can go all day with small breaks, just a minute or two here or there gets the butt feeling better. As with power walks, do some pushups or jumping jacks as well.

"we as riders stick together as no matter what ur race maybe!!!!"
devo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote