User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
05magmn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Adventure riding with a c pap??

Ok I'm soon to pick up my new bike, and returning to riding. I would like to take some weekend long trips but I use a c pap to sleep! So is any one else here in the same boat? How do you pack your c pap on your bike so that it is not damaged? How can you handle a camping trip with out a generator?
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:40 PM   #2
JerryMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
There are several threads on this topic if you do a advrider.com/forum search. I use a cpap and plan to do some primitive camping this year. The first thing I did was to carefully remove the heated humidifier from the main unit. Your bike battery doesn't have the capacity to run that humidifier. My unit runs on 12 volts so I obtained a 12 volt cord that has the proper plug for the cpap on one end and the "cigarette lighter" plug on the other to fit the 12 volt plug on my bike. I also bought a 12 volt extension cord. I plan to sandwich the cpap machine in my sleeping bag which is inside a water proof duffle. I have yet to test my motorcycle battery to see if it holds up to 8 hours of cpap use and then start my bike, but others have said it will. I will also either buy a lithium motorcycle battery as a back up or some jumper cables. There are other solutions but for better or worse these are my plans at present. Wish you all the best. No sense in not living past the obstacles life throws at us.
Edit: You probably can turn off the heater/ humidifier without disassembling the unit, but it does cut down on the size to pack. Some have also said that their battery wouldn't run the the cpap and it then start the bike. I will be testing this soon on my bike. I may buy a backup cpap machine and another battery.

JerryMac screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 08:52 PM
JerryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #3
JerryMac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
After doing some research, this is the battery I plan to buy for my primary battery. An Odyssey PC 535. On a KLR 650 you have to mount it on it's side with the top facing left and shim with rubber. The wire leads will need slight rerouting for length. The battery has deep cycle properties which will probably give the best chance for success.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/index.htm
JerryMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM   #4
05magmn OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
I have always heard good thing about odyssey, I'm kind of worried about how the Cpap will handle the vibrations.
05magmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Jdubb
DL1000, WR250R

Oddometer: 138
other choices

Just a thought you may already have tried. I have switched to a mouthpiece that eliminates my problem. I realize this may not work for all, but it is really a nice solution in my case. i went to my dentist and he took care of it. You must have had a sleep study, as you did for your device, and in my case insurance did not cover the cost.
Jdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #6
orbiter
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Biking with a CPAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05magmn View Post
Ok I'm soon to pick up my new bike, and returning to riding. I would like to take some weekend long trips but I use a c pap to sleep! So is any one else here in the same boat? How do you pack your c pap on your bike so that it is not damaged? How can you handle a camping trip with out a generator?
I have been doing some multi day rides long dist. with my cpap. It travels well with no issues. I camp too, but have not adapted the cpap to a battery connection. I pack the machine, hoses, etc in its supplied carry case & put it in a waterproof Ortleib bag with other soft gear. Strap the packed Ortleib on the back with Rok straps. It dosen't move, takes a licking, and keeps on ticking....no problem! Some how I seem to sleep ok without the machine when camping solo in my tent. Go figure.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Slippy Chips
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
They now make cpap machines with built in battery packs as well as separate battery packs for existing cpap machines. I am looking I to those as an option going forward and would love to hear from anyone who has used one. It's also a good idea to have at home in case of a power outage.

One is the AeoMed Everest. It has a built in battery and they say it can go through the night.

I currently have the ResMed S8 and there is an external battery pack you can buy for ~$300. They say it can actually last multiple nights without the humidifier but I'd like some more info on this as well.

Thanks.
IBA #56918
Slippy Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Battery backup

I use an older (5 yr) AEIOmed Everest Travel CPAP Machine. I travel a lot for work. I got it with a Lithium Battery. It will run two solid nights on one charge. It comes with a car charger via cigarette lighter. It is fairly small. I usually go two nights camping, one night hotel. But I usually just put the detachable battery in my tank bag and charge it. I am about to get a new self adjusting unit. The units now are much smaller and have battery backup. I wouldn't run it off of my bike battery. Kinda suck to start the day out with a dead battery....

Check out cpap.com hit the cpap tab, check the integrated battery filter. I would also suggest auto-altitude. I am going to likely get the Z1 with battery.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 AM   #9
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdubb View Post
Just a thought you may already have tried. I have switched to a mouthpiece that eliminates my problem. I realize this may not work for all, but it is really a nice solution in my case. i went to my dentist and he took care of it. You must have had a sleep study, as you did for your device, and in my case insurance did not cover the cost.
I just got one of those. When I use that in conjunction with a Breath Right nose piece, snoring and irregular breathing is gone.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
VersysCrashTestDummy
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Here is a little info from CPAP.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfRq9udX4u8

I have an S8 and battery that I have never tested, but I recently bought a Z1 for travel. There is a battery available for it, but it cost as much as the CPAP and I haven't figured out how I would charge it on the bike.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
mkitchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
I have the same questions

My wife and I both use a CPAP and we have our teardrop and our off road trailer wired to run both machines. Now we want to start back country touring on our motorbikes (a KLR and DR 650) and are wondering how to do the CPAP thing. I am looking at the following ideas:
1. pack our current CPAPs in a secure bag
2. get Shorai batteries
3. set up some type of charging system from the bike to charge the batteries while charging
4. have the entire system remote from the bike so that we can camp away from the bike
I would love to hear some suggestions so I can get this system set up and get out and start camping.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote