Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
That's where it's usually at, but can't do that in Canada. Too bad
InDenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #18
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
You are going to AK, not the Amazon! Put it where you would put it if you were riding from CA to NY. In fact, chances of getting robbed are probably better if you WERE riding from CA to NY!

Your chances of losing your wallet or CCs are much higher than being robbed on a trip to AK...unless of course, you have to ride across the lower 48 first.
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #19
Wdwrkr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,664
It's usually best to keep it on your person, but not in your wallet, just incase they want the bike too. I wouldn't be too concerned Canada is much safer then home for the most part ( there are always exceptions). It safest to travel with CCs and travelers checks for cash, then you can cash them at hotels or most banks and keep your exposure to a minimum. On the bike I've tried a couple locations

1. Under the tool tray there is a nice little space, stays dry, and most people don't even know it's there. So unless your robbed by a starved former GS owner your probably safe there.
2. I squeezed my autocom in that space so I took a small can with a screw off lid (I found a tea can 2 1/2x 1 1/2) painted it black and zip tied it to the frame under the beak with a couple wires soldered to the bottom. If you were looking right at it you would swear it was part of the bike. It'll hold a couple grand in large unmarked bills, but again if they take the bike your doubly screwed.

Always have a noatorized copy of your ID with you just in case
Wdwrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #20
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,347
I hide cash in ATMs all around the world.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #21
chif
Bukowina, inima mea!

Oddometer: 41
If you're talking Alaska, don't worry about this.
My trip last year was amazing, almost 4 weeks on the road, 1500% safe. The people are the best ever, all over north, Alaska, Yukon, BC, NWTerritories. I'd move tomorrow up there
chif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #22
BigToad
The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer: 193
My job takes me all over the world mostly into the backcountry and when I'm in a high risk area I go for the fake wallet with lots of $1 bills and expired cards and sometimes a good photocopy of DL in case I drive. I used a money belt once in the DRC and was seriously screwed by the fact all the bills got a very tiny tear from being folded and packed so tight...unfortunately this renders them useless for exchanging in many places, no money belt for me again.

Now where to hide your cash for AK? Well unless your bringing the wife why bother? Your ass is more likely to get eaten by a grizz than robbed....

( please no thread on what gun for a bear!)
BigToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #23
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
I am on the Central Coast CA and rode for 21 days to Seward via Dawson, $300 cash and card when possible, kept in my pants pocket and wearing a one piece suit, not a problem, when need money there are atm's all over Canada and of course AK, so I do not think you have to worry, if I to carry cash I would still keep most in my pants pocket and $100 or less in the pocket of my suit.

I felt pretty safe on my ride, camping and moteling, I was alone too.

Enjoy the ride.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #24
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
For Canada and Alaska anywhere you normally carry your money is fine.

I think enough cash to get home in a ziplock taped inside the airbox is a good idea though, just in case you lose your wallet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #25
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,868
I'm not really worried about getting robbed. I'm more worried that I'll lose my wallet because I'm... uh... er... I'm... what am I again? Oh, yeah, I'm forgetful.

I tend to stash enough cash that if I'm at the farthest point on my trip, I can still return home and have money for fuel and food and a hotel for a night or two, if necessary. Plus some of that cash if for tips - waitresses, hotel maids, strippers. You know: the usual.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
Find a place on the bike that is not easily accessible and put it there. Riding to Alaska you should have ZERO concern about losing your $$ to anything other than Gas and lodging which are both very high. Grizzlies really could care less how rich you are, they just like tasty humans. Though come to think ft it, they do like rich food. Salmon.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:16 AM   #27
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,653
If I told you ... I would have to kill you ...

All kidding aside. I always have $300 or so on me. On a longer ride I will stash a spare key and $100 somewhere on the bike as emergency get home cash (more if I'm father then 1000 miles from home).

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #28
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,382
when I've traveled in Thailand and Peru, I put some cash in ziplock bags, and put it under the insoles inside my boots. If I'm more local, I just use my wallet, but I sometimes split it up, keeping some in a jacket pocket, some on the bike, etc.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #29
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 5,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
If I told you ... I would have to kill you ...

All kidding aside. I always have $300 or so on me. On a longer ride I will stash a spare key and $100 somewhere on the bike as emergency get home cash (more if I'm father then 1000 miles from home).
This.

Well, not the "kill you" part... the $300 part.

$300 will get me home from just about anywhere in the lower 48.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
roadtrip22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I keep 50 in my boot. it stays nice and warm. but would hate to be the person having to recieve it if I ever needed to spend it. The then I keep 100 right next to my holster. I figure if there going after one I'll give them the other for free
roadtrip22 is offline   Reply With Quote