Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #61
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
Anybody use a throw away wallet with expired credit cards and a small amount of cash in it?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #62
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
Anybody use a throw away wallet with expired credit cards and a small amount of cash in it?
Read the whole thing. It's back there somewhere, I forgot where, but somebody does that.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #63
Motomantra
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,214
Here it is

Just found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
1) Day use wallet. Keep the days money and old expired cards in this. Use it to pay for stuff each day. If robed this is what you give them, they re not going to check the dates on your cards. Replenish as it runs low in a secure location (eg usually at night before you go to sleep). They will want to take your wallet. That is where most people keep most of their money.

2) Significant money should be broken up into at least two different places. Alternative ID also needs two different places. Storage online of your id with secure access online may be the better method of having emergency ID available.

No I'm not telling you on a public form where I keep my stuff. That simply tells robbers where to look. Find your own hiding places.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #64
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
Just ride a KLR. No one would bother trying to rob a KLR rider.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #65
sandiego
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Disable the charcoal canister and hide the money in it.
No one will screw around with that.
2005 BMW R1100S
1995 Yamaha RD350
sandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #66
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warin View Post
1) Day use wallet. Keep the days money and old expired cards in this. Use it to pay for stuff each day. If robed this is what you give them, they re not going to check the dates on your cards. Replenish as it runs low in a secure location (eg usually at night before you go to sleep). They will want to take your wallet. That is where most people keep most of their money.
Expired Cards in a lot of cases still have the same CC number and the new replacement will expire in the same month. So all the thief has to do is make a few guesses as to the year and now they have your credit card info. Lots of places don't require the 3 digit security code from the back...

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #67
shu

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowBee View Post
My experience (YMMV): I've done a fair amount of traveling inside and outside the US and I've never been held up or threatened in any way, so I've decided that the spare wallet thing is overkill (and a hassle.)

I still divide up my cash and cards, though. This is to defend me from myself: I have misplaced or lost my wallet before and this makes sure I can still function if I do it again. Like most on here, I keep some zipped up in my front pants pockets, some in armor pockets in my gear, some on the bike, and some in my boot.

More places than that and I have the problem of forgetting that it's there. I arrived back in Europe with a big stack of Uzbek som which no one in their right mind would exchange for me. (100 USD ~ 200,000 som). The stack of money needed to operate day to day was huge and I didn't have enough space for it in my regular places, so I carried it in all kinds of places that weren't usual for me.

I would think seriously about the spare wallet if I spent a lot time in big urban areas or if I was going out to bars and such, late at night. But I'm usually in bed by 10:00 and don't cross paths with a lot of criminal types.

...........shu
shu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #68
Rusty Shovel
Banned

Oddometer: 67
I've always kept a $20 under the insoles of my boots.
Rusty Shovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #69
banjobart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I use two wallets, one in each front pants pocket with a Spyderco or Benchmade folding knife clipped to the pocket edge. I split my cash evenly and add a good credit card, AMA card, health card and ID to each wallet. I mostly fear unknowingly dropping a credit card while getting gas more than being robbed. I have gone by road to Alaska three times, two by bike in recent years. There is nothing there to fear more than running off the road and down a cliff from gawking at the scenery. Also, the wildlife is much more inclined to kill you by getting in the road more than another human. The criminals are in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Oh, and Ottawa, too.
2007 DL1000
2007 FJR1300
banjobart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #70
banjobart
Adventurer

If I do not leave the USA I also tuck a Kahr PM9 and Keltec 380 in the pockets. I like those items in my pants with the wallets. Then when I go to bed the pants and all my stuff are within arm's reach beside me.

I have been more afraid of stray dogs on the road than criminals. But the 9mm works equally well on both.
2007 DL1000
2007 FJR1300
Old 12-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #71
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
I always split up my coin

I will keep coin in a couple places.

The amount of cash I carry always depends on where I am going and how long I will be away from a bank or place where a Safe ATM should be.

I have heard of people using fake wallets in the event they are robbed or pick pocketed, seems like a good Idea.

TheBlurr screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 07:04 PM
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #72
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post
If I do not leave the USA I also tuck a Kahr PM9 and Keltec 380 in the pockets. I like those items in my pants with the wallets. Then when I go to bed the pants and all my stuff are within arm's reach beside me.

I have been more afraid of stray dogs on the road than criminals. But the 9mm works equally well on both.
How do you know ? How many criminals have you shot ?
Old 12-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #73
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobart View Post

Thats my plan!!!
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:43 PM   #74
banjobart
Adventurer

Shot Plenty.
2007 DL1000
2007 FJR1300
Old 03-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #75
El_Duderino
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
I always keep my bank card and use it normally, simple. Nobody is going to hurt or stuff you around...same thing as international travel. Just be a man and continue about your day, and if someone's going to break through the layers of kit...your own fault. Period!

Dealt with that crap from wallet in the back right pocket in Europe, and with my demeanour nothing has happened. That was serious, but also learn to handle yourself mate...if you're fit, hit hard and put the c**t down first go and make it certain who is boss!

El_Duderino screwed with this post 03-02-2014 at 09:44 AM
El_Duderino is offline   Reply With Quote