Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
It was pretty brittle:

A quick update. This little unit list on Bike Bandit for a not-so-thrifty $41. I ordered one today from the local bike shop and was told thanks to Saint Nick's trip through town, it won't be in until the week of 1/8/13... at least I can get it... why didn't I just cut the petrified fuel line?

Pulled the carbs out of the PS and SafeTKleen last night and reassembled one of the carbs. Everything looks good, hope to post some pictures in the coming days...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Wentwest
How's that work?

Oddometer: 416
What I learned was that the careful use of an electric heat gun helps loosen stuck nuts, screws, and especially soft things like fuel lines and gaskets. You don't have to cook them, just get them good and warm and old brittle fuel lines come off much easier. I put penetrating oil on stuck fasteners and then heat them until the oil evaporates, then let it cool and do it again, a couple of times, and things do unscrew. If you buy new old rubber bits a little heat makes them soft enough to flatten out wrinkles and get them to sit flat.

Enjoy!
Wentwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #18
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Excellent, thanks! My mindset is still with modern, worked-on-a-lot dirtbikes. I'll be way more careful in the future but I seriously had no doubt it'd be that brittle.

I read somewhere that boiling (?) rubber boots in wintergreen will restore a little rubberocity to old stiff rubber. Anyone have any advice pro or con?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #19
Travrsx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I am parting one of these bikes out, so if you need any parts, let me know!
Old 12-22-2012, 04:04 PM   #20
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travrsx View Post
Thanks Travrsx, I'll keep that in mind next time I gorilla a piece off the bike...

Got a little time to put the carbs back together:

Next up, I'm gonna tackle that pesky neutral switch!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Goggles Paisano
AKA Walter Mitty

Oddometer: 1,418
I like this thread. My bike is an 85 750s, the Canadian version of this bike in red and black. I wanted the black and blue, but beggars can't be choosers.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #22
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travrsx View Post
Got a working neutral/shift switch? Mine appears non-funct. I need to pull it and see if there's any rebuild potential but a cursory ohmmeter exam today indicated it was open. Could just need cleaning but I thought I'd touch base and see if you have one just in case...
Old 12-31-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Today - that pesky gear switch selector! Previously I'd checked the switch for continuity and discovered all contacts were open and indicated a required removal for inspection. In true Murphy's law fashion, the bottom left mounting screw didn't just pop out. The kickstand and shifter needed to be removed so I could get an impact driver on the stubborn screw. Of course, removal of the sidestand and shifter did nothing to ease access to the buggered screw. The spring mounting post is the problem and it's welded to the frame. Oh well, looks like it needed cleaning anyway...

After a couple of false starts, I was able to get the screw out and the switch removed. When I pulled the pickup out of the cavity, the problem was pretty evident. Looks like I got one too many pieces:

Not only was the post broken, but the wiring inside was buggered as well. Looks like it's been broken for while...

So, I've got the carbs out and awaiting a replacement for the clay gas tee and now I need to order a replacement gear indicator switch... remembered the side stand looked like it needed cleaning. Scrubbed it up in the parts washer, and immediately feel like I've accomplished something! I can't fix anything to so crank up the tunes and find some rags! Time to clean! Something about working on a dirty bike kinda kills the mood. A good cleaning will really tell me what I've got...and. . I was stoked by what I found, the bike has excellent bones. Patinaed bones, but excellent bones nonetheless. A few teasers:

Before:

Afters:

Lastly, as the day grew to a close and I had a couple beers..

There are 576 1984 Nighthawk CB700SC items for sale on FleaBay today. Not a single one was a gear selector switch or a replacement fuel line T. This indicates a surplus of gorilla 700SC mechanics and perhaps a faulty design.

Lastly, a first. SILTHW count today = 0

Happy New Year YFF's!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,455
I have no idea if yo will run into this or not, but I will share my grief. My 84 ran fantastic over about 3000 RPM but misfired badly below that. After months of doing this and that I found one of the coils to be bad. Just a heads up. GOOD for you bringing it back to life.

Marc
Old 12-31-2012, 09:10 PM   #25
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post
I have no idea if yo will run into this or not, but I will share my grief. My 84 ran fantastic over about 3000 RPM but misfired badly below that. After months of doing this and that I found one of the coils to be bad. Just a heads up. GOOD for you bringing it back to life.

Marc
Thanks Marc! I revved it up pretty good when I first got it running and it seemed to run pretty drama free. I'm sure I cured that with my carb clean. ;) Pushing up on the slides with my finger indicated that two of the carbs act differently than the other two tho, I might be re-doing that particular job. Part of the process eh?

In any case, thanks for the heads-up! We should have a beer when I get the 'Hawk roadworthy.

Merfman screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:03 PM
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #26
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Where are you guys getting parts. Does Honda stock any oem parts like the complete sticker sets? I picked up an 85 700SC yesterday!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
divotdm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Where are you guys getting parts. Does Honda stock any oem parts like the complete sticker sets? I picked up an 85 700SC yesterday!

http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/...ing=&cat_id=23
06 WR250F
86 Nighthawk 700s (Red, White,Blue)
divotdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #28
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by divotdm View Post
Great place for decals!

For parts, I've been getting everything I needed from the local bike shop. Been lucky so far. Some things aren't available. Bike Bandit and eBay are resources as well...

Also, for full immersion in all things Nighthawk, head over to www.nighthawk-forums.com, great resource and good guys. Some very nice builds too!

Merfman screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 08:49 PM
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #29
1f2frfbf
full-time fool

Oddometer: 42
FYI on the gear switch, I got lucky finding one for my Yamaha by taking the old one to a friendly, old-skool, 4 wheeler shop and comparing them. Found one in their old stock that fit my bike from off a similar vintage four-wheeler. Oftentimes the manufacturer would just order a huge batch of them and use them for everything but slap different part numbers on them for 2 wheels or 4 wheels, but same bit of metal. I know Honda used similar seals between marine and terrestrial motors... Dunno if this helps you, but one more avenue to check.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #30
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1f2frfbf View Post
FYI on the gear switch, I got lucky finding one for my Yamaha by taking the old one to a friendly, old-skool, 4 wheeler shop and comparing them. Found one in their old stock that fit my bike from off a similar vintage four-wheeler. Oftentimes the manufacturer would just order a huge batch of them and use them for everything but slap different part numbers on them for 2 wheels or 4 wheels, but same bit of metal. I know Honda used similar seals between marine and terrestrial motors... Dunno if this helps you, but one more avenue to check.
That's great info! Thanks for passing that along, I'm not sure I would have thought of that!