Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #46
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Oddometer: 739
Tires are mounted but not replaced yet. Fork seal drivers arrived yesterday and a non-riding-friendly forecast is in place for the weekend. I put twin car horns on the Tenere' last weekend while waiting on the drivers so that project is done. Soo.... with any luck I'll get the bike roadworthy this weekend! Stay tuned...
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #47
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Gettin' closer...

When the day started, only one of these was marked off...

My buddy Phil came over and supervised me while I tried to mark some items off the list. Little Yellow Pils by Oskar Blues were consumed and the day was a good one. Thanks Phil!

Todays tasks included getting the fork seals replaced. I can't have it marking it's territory like this...

And, the project box is down to one task...

Under Phil's most excellent supervision, I was able to get the forks offs, disassembled, reassembled and awaiting the ATF I thought I already had...

Once I had the forks to a point of "can't progress without a trip to the store", I re-pulled the tank so I could replace the plugs. Pretty easy job if you don't have gorilla hands. I have gorilla hands. Took a few more minutes and I then fired up the bike so I could warm it up and change the oil. Who thought that warming up the bike for "2-3 minutes" and putting the oil filter inside the heated cage known as headers, was a good idea? SILTHW - Headers stay hot for a long time. Got the oil done, re-fired the bike to check for leaks and all was good. I then took some time to clean up the front and rear wheels.

I think I have about 2 hours of reassembly of various parts before I can take it out for it's first ride! Weather is supposed to be similar to today until mid-week and even then it's not looking good. Spring in Colorado! Hopefully I can get it all buttoned up next week and take it out for a short ride... stay tuned!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:22 AM   #48
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Milestone

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in CO. My project box was empty and all that was left was the reassembly of everything...

Fired up the bike, ATGATT'ed up and headed down the street for my first ride... and ran out of gas at the end of the street. A short uphill push in full gear back to the garage and I discovered that when I'd readjusted the tank shortly before takeoff, I'd pulled the vacuum line off the intake. Reprimed the carbs, fired it up and headed out. Rode into town, gassed up, rode around some back streets and decided a freeway blast might help as well. Did about 15 miles at 70-75 and the bike was flawless. All told, put about 50 miles on the bike..

Grabbed my camera and headed back out for a photo session. On a washboard road, I ran out of gas once again. Quick look and this time I see the vacuum line has popped off the petcock. Re-prime and it's running as new. Back to the house for a few final touches: 1) Replace vacuum line, 2) change final drive oil now that it was warm, 3) flush the brake fluid.

The weather looks good enough for daily commuting next week so I should be able to sort out any additional little bothersome issues!

I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #49
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out!

NICE!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #50
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,205
I have some original dealer brochures and magazines on this bike.

Have ad here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885943

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #51
mike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,063
Great job on a great bike. owned an '84. loved it.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #52
Merfman OP
Trustin' my cape...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Great job on a great bike. owned an '84. loved it.
Put the bike up for sale last Friday. MUCH to my delight, my daughter decided she and her husband would love to have the bike! I could not be happier that this bike stays in the family!
Old 05-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #53
alk4life
Wanna ride them all!

Oddometer: 7
I just went through an ordeal rebuilding the starter on my '84 CB700SC. The seal behind the front bushing failed and let in a ton of engine oil into the starter. The brushes broke apart and the armature fried. Here's a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/mYbiCovh.jpg

A rebuild kit and a new armature cost just slightly less than an aftermarket starter from Rick's Motorsports.

The starter is very easy to access compared to some motorcycles so you may as well pull it and check for back and forth play in the shaft.
alk4life is offline   Reply With Quote