Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #76
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
New Iberia to Morgan City then over to Houma, up to New Orleans then on to Bay St. Louis, etc.
If you're staying on the new 4 lane US 90, soon to be I 49, you're not on the old original 90 which is mainly 182 now. In fact , the new 90 does not even go to Houma and bypassed a few other of the neat cities it used to go though. I run that road lots in the late 60's early 70's from Jennings to New Orleans when I worked for Shell at Venice. It was all two lane and through the cities back then.

My man, if you have the track file on what you did on Route 66, I would love to have it. If things work out, I'll probably be traveling on a 650 thumper this coming Summer. Be a perfect bike for that.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 PM   #77
Richard Evans
Richard Evans

Oddometer: 2
Shame we don't have anytthing like it in Australia.

Could you throw some light on pronunciation? Speaking English rather than American English we allways refer to route 66 as (Root 66) rather than (Rowt 66) but in American songs etc. it seems to be the English pronunciation. So which is right for you Yankees?

Richard Evans (Blue Mountains Australia)
P.S. Loved the photos.
Richard Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #78
1TrackSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
[QUOTE=Richard Evans;20335646]Could you throw some light on pronunciation? Speaking English rather than American English we allways refer to route 66 as (Root 66) rather than (Rowt 66) but in American songs etc. it seems to be the English pronunciation. So which is right for you

I have roots in SoCal and lived off Route 66 for a few years when the Route 66 preservation movement was gaining traction. I've only heard it pronounced "root", I suspect the Bobby Troupe song flows much easier than "Rout" and the songs success led to the pronunciation. Of course disregard Chuck Berry's version as he made it his own by changing several city names Barstow became Barscow, appropriate some might suggest.
1TrackSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #79
Valker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
In Texas.....

...it's "root".
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #80
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
From my prospective, everything was route until the song, then only 66 was root.

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:21 AM   #81
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,409
In South Louisiana, tis pretty mixed up and can be use a few ways in just one sentence. " I dunno wat route I'm taking but gonna end up on Root 66. But, gotta get off La Rue Church to do it. ;-) Now I bet cha confused.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #82
WaywardSon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Thumb

I've only been on about 100 miles of the old Route 66 out in Arizona I think. Lots of interesting stuff to see and a lot of good memories for us older folks.

Really enjoyed your report. Nice job and thanks for taking the time!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #83
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Route 66 Continued

Hello everyone, I'm back on the Mother Road! Left Arkansas and headed to Santa Rosa, NM where I had stopped on my last ride. As I was zipping through Texas I noted a sign so I pulled in and got a picture of it. I missed this on my last report somehow.

644 miles later I arrive in Santa Rosa, NM and get a room at Motel 6 and crashed. Long boring day on the interstate. Tomorrow should be much better.
I woke to a bright and sunny day and promptly hit the route.
Saw a lot of closed diners and old service stations today, sad to say the least.

This old gas station was not a "Trading Company" I didn't stop to see what they were selling.

I could not believe all the Volcanic rock I was seeming in NM

I looked up some information on it. Pretty interesting.
It seems that each of the Southwestern states has an apparent geologic specialty. If so, and Arizona is the big Canyon state, Utah is the Mesozoic fauna state, and Colorado is the big snow-capped Rocky Mountains state, then what is New Mexico? New Mexicans need only look out their windows for the answer: New Mexico is the Volcano state. New Mexico has one of the greatest concentrations of young, well-exposed, and uneroded volcanoes on the continent. And as a bonus, it is also the Rift Valley state; it has one of only four or five big continental rifts in the world, East Africa being one of the other ones. The fact is, New Mexico is one of the best places to study the natural history of volcanoes. Twenty percent of the U.S. National Parks and Monuments based on volcanic themes are in New Mexico. There are more here than Arizona, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington combined.

These guys Blakes Lotaburger kind of look like an old diner but they are actually a chain out of Albuquerque with over 83 locations!

Interesting tunnel on the route.

Not too long after that I hit Arizona.

By now it's getting late in the day so when I hit Holbrook, AZ. I notice a waypoint for the Wigwam Motel I had to stay here tonight, this looked like too much fun to pass up.

They had an old classic car parked by most of the Wigwams, or Tepees as I like to call them. Here is a very short video of what they look like inside.
I walked down the street a block from the hotel and find this

Slept real good that night even though they had a bunch of trains running behind the motel all night. Seems they have a big switch yard here.

Next day I hit Winslow, AZ and "Stand'n on the Corner" as the song goes I take my obligatory photo of Earl's Motel.

An old service station that is now a salon.

I hit Seligman, AZ and they had a lot of shops catering to the Route 66 motif

I pushed on toward Flagstaff and then hit Kingman around one o'clock. Unfortunately, the wind had gotten so strong and was gusting to around 45-50 knots I was just played out. As I pulled into get a drink I had the misfortune to see a truck pulling a horse trailer pull right in front of another motorcyclist. Found out he lost his life too. I figured I had gone far enough for now and after a short rest and some food I decided to abort the rest of the trip and headed back home. At any rate. I hope you find this report to be of interest, the west has a lot of distance between towns in some cases and I ended up riding 2700 miles in five days by the time I got back home.

Was fun I stayed dry if not beat up by the high winds. Till next time. Ride safe my friends.

10Cup screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 03:36 PM
10Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #84
Cannonshot
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,807
Great news! Looking forward to more interesting pix.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #85
bar-low
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Barstow cal.

Route 66 came into Barstow Cal. and old hwy 58 met at first st. There is a Fantastic Rte. 66 Museum in Barstow Cal at the railroad Dept.
bar-low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #86
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot View Post
Great news! Looking forward to more interesting pix.
Thanks Cannonshot, always glad to hear from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bar-low View Post
Route 66 came into Barstow Cal. and old hwy 58 met at first st. There is a Fantastic Rte. 66 Museum in Barstow Cal at the railroad Dept.
Bar-low, thanks for the info I will be sure to do that, would be good to hear your input and see the museum too. I have it way-pointed on my GPS route.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #87
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,367
Keep the pictures coming.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #88
10Cup OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
Keep the pictures coming.
Thanks Eddie, will do. Loved your ride report down in Texas. Looks like it was fun. I am really liking my GS.