Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #166
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
It looks like as far as Japanese bikes go, The V-Star 950 completely blows all the Shadows out of the water. For a couple hundred more $$$, you get 200 cc more, a bigger tank, and best of all, tubeless tires on cast wheels. This stuff is important to those who buy cruisers to ride instead of look at. All of Honda's cruisers look like they are designed to be looked and be seen on, but are not meant for actual travel. There was a time, 30 years ago or so, when the Japanese did build cruisers that were designed to be ridden. Seems like most cruisers today have become some kind of rolling art objects.
Why would a hand wringing worry wart like you ever want a bike with belt drive? You'd never get a good night's sleep having to keep half a dozen belts in stock and carry all those tools and parts on the road with you!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #167
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Oddometer: 409
Am still lusting after a Shadow RS! Don't understand why Honda only gave it a production run of a couple of years?

FWIW ... scootworks.com markets a belt-drive conversion kit for this Bike ...
Old 03-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #168
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Sometimes I worry about you guys.

Not often....

Just sometimes.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #169
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-R Rider View Post
Am still lusting after a Shadow RS! Don't understand why Honda only gave it a production run of a couple of years?

FWIW ... scootworks.com markets a belt-drive conversion kit for this Bike ...
Well, my local dealer kept one on the floor for nearly a year and a half before they had to give it away.
It's one of those bikes that is an acquired taste here in the US. I understand that it was originally intended for the Japanese market, where it actually sells well.

As much as I like the bike, I couldn't justify the price point any more than I could justify the price of a new sportster.

I'm waiting on a used model to pop up for sale at a fair price precisely because this is such a good bike.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #170
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,836
Quote:
Brand new leftover near Mpls, asking USD 7195.

Come on down.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #171
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Tubed....."wish" Honda would make some cast rims available or after market?. But,then again,I beleive in the 80's(I think?) folks were screeming for spoked rims for Jap bikes.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #172
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Quote:
The VT750RS is def on my short-list of Bikes to look for this Spring ... the ZZ-R is goin' up fpr sale and if I can find a good used Shadow RS, I'm having it!

ZZ R-rider....where are you located?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #173
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

Far East Canada
Old 03-13-2013, 03:19 AM   #174
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

The Shadow RS is one of my all-time fave motorcycles ... just LOVE the look ... classic! Yamahog has upped the ante though with the introduction of the new (and oh so beautiful) Bolt from Star Motorcycles ... Honda would be wise to re-vamp the RS with cast wheels/tubeless tires, ABS, rear disc brake (saw a left-over 2010 VT750C2 so equipped at Honda dealership this past Sat.) and a belt final drive to replace the chain ... hey, scootworks.com makes a belt drive conversion kit for the RS, so there's no excuse Honda!!

Oh yeah ... and not up the MSRP, otherwise it won't compete with the Bolt or the XL883 ...

Would still love to own an RS just the way it is though if I could come across a good low-milage used one for decent price!
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 AM   #175
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,824
08-21-2011?? ALL street bikes need tubeless tires, tubed tires are not only a major inconvenience (especially without a centerstand) and they are also dangerous when they blow out. DOT should REQUIRE tubeless tires on motorcycles. They require a lot of other stuff that makes no sense at all, this does. I see no reason for ABS, especially on a cruiser, and a rear disc is total overkill. I can guarantee that drum will lick up the rear wheel with the slightest pressure on the pedal. I put 10,000+ miles on a Honda Rebel with NO rear brake, when I relocated the pegs and linkage type shifter 4" farther forward. I kept intending to rig one up, but just never felt the need.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #176
ZZ-R Rider
Captain Fantastic

After 2014 I belive, ALL new motorcycles, regardless of style, will have to be equipped with ABS in the EU ...
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #177
hhkiwi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
They require a lot of other stuff that makes no sense at all, this does. I see no reason for ABS, especially on a cruiser, and a rear disc is total overkill. I can guarantee that drum will lick up the rear wheel with the slightest pressure on the pedal. I put 10,000+ miles on a Honda Rebel with NO rear brake, when I relocated the pegs and linkage type shifter 4" farther forward. I kept intending to rig one up, but just never felt the need.
My view is that all bikes would benefit from ABS (and yes, it will be mandatory for new bikes in the EU as of next year) but you are correct in terms of the rear brake. Because of the "weight transfer" under braking the theoretical maximum contribution the rear brake can make is in the order of 20 percent. A drum brake would therefore easily suffice. I personally like the look of disc brakes though and find them easier to work on.
hhkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #178
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,607
Quote:
08-21-2011?? ALL street bikes need tubeless tires, tubed tires are not only a major inconvenience (especially without a centerstand) and they are also dangerous when they blow out. DOT should REQUIRE tubeless tires on motorcycles.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #179
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
I see no reason for ABS, especially on a cruiser
Wait, so people don't pull out in front of you randomly when you're on a cruiser? Shit, I need to get me one of those.
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #180
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I am confused too. Tubeless tires mandated by gov, but no one needs ABS. It's a head-scratcher.

FWIW, back when I had my shadow, the brakes flat out sucked. Both front and rear.