Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 04:33 PM   #31
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
its actually a sparkle dark grey (not sure what they call it but thats what it looks like).

The bike really sounds great stock so I'm not swappin any pipes. They have a backrest and luggage rack but I've gotta see it on another bike before I spend the money. Usually just use a backpack any more since I also use it at work, but I wouldn't mind a rack to put some things on.
Lots of aftermarket stuff out there. If you go with the Honda accessories ( more expensive ), it fits and works. But stick with whatever brand of stuff you start with so it all works together. I would have no problem having one of these in my garage.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
Outlander2188
Ready to plunder

Oddometer: 380
That is a sweet little bike. If my mom wasn't so hell-bend on owning a Harley, I would totally suggest this bike to her.
Outlander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM   #33
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Nice looking ride!.Just curious,the plastic "rocker" covers, I presume they are ornimental.....covering up unpolished metal?.Also,tell us about your gas mileage as the bike accumulates miles!. TIA

Whats the ground clearence?.

frog13 screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 06:04 PM
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
Infallible
Into the Wild Blue Yonder

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlander2188
That is a sweet little bike. If my mom wasn't so hell-bend on owning a Harley, I would totally suggest this bike to her.
Infallible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #35
Outlander2188
Ready to plunder

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infallible
lol I'm dead serious. She couldn't pick up an 883 if it dropped, yet she refuses to consider lighter/smaller bikes. Go figure
Outlander2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #36
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie
Don't change the exhaust. it looks and sounds just fine. You might gain 3 or 4 horsepower at the expense of more noise and and less driveability at lower RPM's. I'm not an engineer, I'm guessing neither are you, but the person that designed the exhaust and intake on that bike probably is. I bet he knows alot more about this stuff than we do. Besides i think the bike looks just fine the way it is. Enjoy it, great bike.
Looks like you might need a front tire soon though.
Like my old Shadow Aero, I just drilled three small holes in each pipe. Sounds even better (not too loud at all but you can hear it over the wind easily)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM   #37
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
That is a nice looking bike! I like that it has a fairly standard seating position and isn’t overly low compared to the tank, etc. Is that paint flat or matte instead of a gloss finish? It looks tough.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #38
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
100 mile super mini review: I LOVE THIS BIKE.

The standard peg position is perfect for me - You can stand up at a stop without the peg being in the way. I had a bit of an issue with this on my sportster
Great-looking bike! The Honda stylists showed commendable restraint this time, and it just looks right.

I agree on the standard peg placement. In addition to being more comfortable, I would think they would make it a lot easier to handle the bike.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #39
Dave37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
The Shadow RS looks great. I looked at one up close today at the dealer. What is the point of the drum rear brake though? Just for looks, or is Honda trying to save some money or what?

'03 Aprilia Caponord
'99 Honda VFR800Fi - Sold
'00 Honda XR650R SM
My Smugmug
Dave37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #40
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave37
The Shadow RS looks great. I looked at one up close today at the dealer. What is the point of the drum rear brake though? Just for looks, or is Honda trying to save some money or what?
its on the standard aero so I'm thinking its the whole sharing parts / being cheap thing. Id rather see a disk back there but it works just fine.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #41
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
That is a great looking bike! It's actually quite a bit more attractive than a number of Sportsters I've seen (I love the classic Sportster look with the peanut tank, but there have been some fugly versions of the Sporty that HD has peddled on this market over the years).

That large rear drum brake is quite effective and the stock exhaust has a nice mellow sound. The basic platform is a very good one and these are some of the most reliable bikes you will ever find. My '04 Aero has been a great bike - zero issues since day one. I'm not shy with the throttle and I never get below 61 mpg!

Enjoy!
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #42
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,661
Drum brakes aren't all bad! Actually a double leading shoe drum stops pretty darned well and has a slight advantage in the wet. (no delay waiting for the water to squeegee off)
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #43
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper
Drum brakes aren't all bad! Actually a double leading shoe drum stops pretty darned well and has a slight advantage in the wet. (no delay waiting for the water to squeegee off)
Believe me, they are quite sufficient to lock up the rear wheel.

I might add that fishtailing all over the road while billowing clouds of smoke from the rear tire is a great way to make sure you are seen as you approach an intersection.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
Old 08-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #44
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
I don't see what all the fuss is regarding the rear drum brake. On a 400-550lbs bike w/ 45-65 hp and 'comfort' based suspension it matters not the least. Both my W650 and R100GS have rear drums and both have performed more than adequately used within their intended performance envelope. What's more, I am happy that the W650 is so equipped as I find it is in keeping with the overall look of the bike. I could see myself thoroughly enjoying the RS and will likely pick one up when they start showing up in the used market. Above being or not being a Honda or Harley, it is simply a good honest bike; comfortable, reliable, immensely useable and eventually available for sensible money.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #45
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
I don't see what all the fuss is regarding the rear drum brake. On a 400-550lbs bike w/ 45-65 hp and 'comfort' based suspension it matters not the least.
Not meaning to hijack the thread, butyou are right -- it's probably more a matter of perception that drum sucks (just say "No!" to drums) than anything else, although I have to admit that I hate having to pull the wheel off to clean the brake dust out, especially since I am batting .000 for correctly aligning the rear wheel again after doing so.

I think the real debits are that they are not usually as easy to modulate as disc brakes due to their self-energizing characteristics and they seem to fade more quickly. But in addition to the wet-riding benefit FlySniper mentioned, my experience on cars and trucks is that they require a lot less maintenance to keep them in safe operating condition. And they just look right on this Shadow.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800