Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #46
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamos2000
its actually a sparkle dark grey (not sure what they call it but thats what it looks like).

The bike really sounds great stock so I'm not swappin any pipes. They have a backrest and luggage rack but I've gotta see it on another bike before I spend the money. Usually just use a backpack any more since I also use it at work, but I wouldn't mind a rack to put some things on.
If you shop carefully on eBay, you can sometimes find a deal on Leatherlyke sidecases for a couple of hundred bucks for a used set in excellent condition. I found some for my Magna that way, and they are about the same size as those for the Shadow. The Leatherlykes won't do anything for the looks while they are on the bike, but:

∙ They are detachable and when they are off, there are no unsightly brackets dangling from the accessory rails.

∙ They hold a LOT of stuff and keep the CG lower than a T-Bag or backpack of similar capacity would.

∙ They are mostly waterproof.

∙ They are lockable. Sometimes you just need to keep honest people honest, you know what I mean?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:13 AM   #47
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Regarding luggage: When I bought my Shadow, I thought long and hard over how I was going to deal with luggage and I checked out all the possibilities - leather saddlebags, hard saddlebags, rear rack, tail bags, tank bags, etc. I bought the Shadow to take my girlfriend riding, as all my other bikes were too tall for me to carry a pillion. Figured I needed some carrying capacity if we were going to do two-up day trips. Turns out she is scared out of her mind to ride. So the luggage decision at that point was a no-brainer: I just use my old standby method - a backpack. I like the looks of my bike and didn't really want to mess up its appearance with luggage. I have two other bikes to use that both have carrying capacity, so why put luggage on the cruiser if I don't need to?
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #48
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

Oddometer: 1,560
Thats my new thing, backpack is just easy and I use it for work. SWISSGEAR!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #49
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Ok,not trying to highjack or any other negative here,but,of the two ----Harley sportster or Honda RS 750 which do you think would be easier to work on if you HAD to dig into the engine.....dream-up your own scenerio on this one!....TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #50
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

Just 200 miles so far, 57.5mpg on the first tank - this is a fun bike.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #51
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13
Ok,not trying to highjack or any other negative here,but,of the two ----Harley sportster or Honda RS 750 which do you think would be easier to work on if you HAD to dig into the engine.....dream-up your own scenerio on this one!....TIA
I would not worry about having to "dig into" either engine because they should be rock solid as long as you don't start monkeying with them.
If you are interested in trying to get better performance by "digging into" the engine then buy a different more powerful bike.
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #52
Yamadavidson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
[quote=Barnone]I would not worry about having to "dig into" either engine because they should be rock solid as long as you don't start monkeying with them.
If you are interested in trying to get better performance by "digging into"the engine then buy a different more powerful bike.[/quote

First off nice bike, I would pick it over the HD every time. Secondly the odds of the Honda needing digging into compared to the HD are about the same as a Honda civic compared to a Chevy cavalier, not even in the same league.
Yamadavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:04 AM   #53
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

[quote=Yamadavidson]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone
I would not worry about having to "dig into" either engine because they should be rock solid as long as you don't start monkeying with them.
If you are interested in trying to get better performance by "digging into"the engine then buy a different more powerful bike.[/quote

First off nice bike, I would pick it over the HD every time. Secondly the odds of the Honda needing digging into compared to the HD are about the same as a Honda civic compared to a Chevy cavalier, not even in the same league.
Hope we can keep the posts here on the Honda and not on HD reliability. While I wouldn't (want to) work on either, I'm sure the HD would be easier to work on since it doesn't have all the plumbing.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #54
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,780
yeah, pretty much.

They're both reliable.
The sporty being air cooled automatically takes 1 big headache out of the equation- cooling system.

They're both great bikes.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:05 PM   #55
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
dynamos2000, Just curious, did you consider the Triumph Bonneville? The Bonnie came in ahead of the RS and Sportster Iron in a Cycle World road test I read. I'm biased though

That said - I really like the looks of your bike. Much better than the mag pics I've seen
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 08-23-2010 at 03:12 PM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #56
moto_loco
poser extraordinaire

Oddometer: 105
I like it. If I wear shopping this style bike...
I'd be at my local Honda dealer.
Not a "wannabe" in my opinion. Great bike.

what in the cat hair?
moto_loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #57
dynamos2000 OP
is boinking your mom

E
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
dynamos2000, Just curious, did you consider the Triumph Bonneville? The Bonnie came in ahead of the RS and Sportster Iron in a Cycle World road test I read. I'm biased though

That said - I really like the looks of your bike. Much better than the mag pics I've seen
Hi I love the bonneville but there is only one dealer in Nashville and I'm not overly fond of it. I can take the Honda anywhere however if it needs serviced. My first and only triumph wasn't very reliable and I've had several Honda bikes with no issues (my experience only) but I would like one still if there was a bigger dealer presence.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #58
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Cool. I had a '98 Thunderbird Sport for 9 years with only a few very minor problems. We have a local dealer but I like one that is 70 miles away better.

My '93 ST1100 (bought new in '94) has almost 76,000 miles on it now and is still going strong, so I hear you on Honda

How is the stock suspension on the RS? That's one thing that is lacking on the Bonnie. I've already replaced the shocks.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #59
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
I like both bikes.....the tubeless tires on the sporty I like better though.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #60
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Was behind a late-model Shadow for most of my ride home today. Definitely an enjoyable exhaust note -- rich-sounding without being obnoxiously loud.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote