Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #271
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky151 View Post
Be fair, I doubt the Kawi brand stuff is any cheaper. And my buddy runs rotella T in his KTM just like I run in my KLR
Doesn't it bother you that Rotella has been shown to lead to blindness, sterility, and brain damage?

Old 12-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #272
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Yup. Terribly, but the sterility might be a good thing for a lot of us, lol. Heaven knows I have reproduced more than I probably should have. Four mini me's is way too many.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #273
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
What I like about this thread is watching human nature in action.....it can be fascinating
A documentation of man's inhumanity to man, so close to the holidays?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Old 12-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #274
kojack
My bikes Suck!

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnrider2 View Post
Why would people come on here and bash other peoples bikes?
If I wanted a woods bike I would buy one.Most of us who have KLR's have them to tour around on gravel roads and easy trails and it works fine for that.
Please let this thread die it's just stupid and not what ADV is all about.
Done.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-10-2012, 04:17 PM   #275
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,486
Yeah, time to stick a fork in this one.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #276
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
but why, exactly, is this a problem for you . . . . unless you are one of those people, and you are disappoitned?

Seriously, it's like folks racing sportsters in a marque-specific series . . . .sure, there's lots faster bikes, but there's all sorts of fun . . . .pick yours, and enjoy it!
Of course it's not a problem for me. That would be ridiculous. I have a bunch of friends that ride KLRs.

However, there are some out that that feel that no other bike can do what the KLR can....ride slab all day and then do trails. My role, for lack of a better term, is to educate people and let the masses know that that is no longer the case. This isn't 1995 anymore.

There are much better bikes around for around the same $$ that fulfill the same role as the KLR. If folks examine that, and choose the KLR anyway, then have at it. Your coin.

But know your options.
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #277
apexeric
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
Yeah, time to stick a fork in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid View Post
Of course it's not a problem for me. That would be ridiculous. I have a bunch of friends that ride KLRs.

However, there are some out that that feel that no other bike can do what the KLR can....ride slab all day and then do trails. My role, for lack of a better term, is to educate people and let the masses know that that is no longer the case. This isn't 1995 anymore.

There are much better bikes around for around the same $$ that fulfill the same role as the KLR. If folks examine that, and choose the KLR anyway, then have at it. Your coin.

But know your options.

Nope, this one is not done yet.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #278
HAYVIATOR
Don't be me dude.

Oddometer: 244
Quote:

But know your options.
I'm a long-time rider (other than DS) and recently added a KLR to the collection after doing much research. I'm tickled with my purchase but didn't find any comparable bikes within even a few thousand dollars of the KLR's pricetag. I'd be interested in what bikes are comparable, or better, at that price-point.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #279
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:

But know your options.
Save me, what are the options.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #280
doogiepooch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Save me, what are the options.
Yes please, Off the grid, tell us what other 2012/13 bike can be had for $6,200, much less if you haggle.

$6999 for the Tera and $7,800 for the cheapest beamer. What Japanese buyer is going to pass up a KLR for either of those BMW options? The cheapet of which being in it's very first year of production. Service life, parts, blah blah blah, and BMW dealers are famous for not haggling on price. Should we shell out $10,000 for the KTM 690?

No knowledgeable KLR owner will argue that it's a price point bike. But the fact still remains, for the money, for what it can do, nothing else really comes close. Plenty of better bikes, more powerful, better suspension, better frames, but service life and price and versatility, it really can't be beat for that price point. Even if you want to toss a DR in my face, I'm not a DR hater. If I rode anything offroad more than an FS road, I'd have a DR and not a KLR. But because I tour alot on my KLR, I like the huge front fairing and side fairings for wind/weather protection.

Personally, I think the fact that it has a hater thread says more about it's popularity than it's actual weaknesses.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #281
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogiepooch View Post
Yes please, Off the grid, tell us what other 2012/13 bike can be had for $6,200, much less if you haggle.
I'm not sure I would associate with someone who would buy a new KLR off the showroom floor.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #282
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 101
this thread it a waste of humanity ..
i want off
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #283
Mnrider2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Most of my commute is in below 50 degree weather and the wind protection on my 09 is great.
The only other bikes with good wind protection are the big adv bikes like the S10 and 990,not only did I not want to spend that much they're 100-150 pounds heavier.
My KLR gets me and my camping and fishing gear to my favorite spots just fine thank you.
We don't need to be educated,we got what we want.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #284
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsandbikes View Post
this thread it a waste of humanity ..
i want off

No, no, no - this thread is awesome. It has more stupidity, arrogance, idiocy and just plain cheap bastards mashed together in one thread than anything this side of JM. I suspect the mods are too busy simultaneously laughing and shaking their heads ruefully to ship this one to the basement.

As for me, I love KLR's just because one of the most awesome things I have ever seen was one of the newer plastic specials endo'ed on a rocky trail. Trust me, it was magnificent. And made even more so knowing that the duct tape used to stick it all back together is probably still there two years later.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #285
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
The irony of it all.